Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-18-2005   #1
AlexVanderpool
Veteran

Default Mel Kiper's first mock draft

1. San Francisco 49ers- Alex Smith-QB-Utah*
2. Miami Dolphins- Cedric Benson-RB-Texas
3. Cleveland Browns- Aaron rogers
4. Chicago Bears- ronnie brown rb
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- carnell williams rb
6. Tennessee Titans- adam jones cb
7. Oakland Raiders- dan cody lb
8. Arizona Cardinals- travis johnson dt
9. Washington Redskins- braylon edwards wr
10. Detroit Lions- heath miller te
11. Dallas Cowboys- shawne merriman olb
12. San Diego Chargers(NYG)- derrick johnson lb
13. Houston Texans- MIKE WILLIAMS WR
14. Carolina Panthers- jammal brown ot
15. Kansas City Chiefs- antrel rolle cb
16. New Orleans Saints- thomas davis s
17. Cincinnati Bengals- erasmus james de
18. Minnesota Vikings*- shaun cody dl
19. St. Louis Rams*- david pollack de
20. Dallas Cowboys(BUF)- troy williamson wr
21. Jacksonville Jaguars- alex barron ot
22. Baltimore Ravens- roddy white wr
23. Seattle Seahawks*- darryl blackstock olb
24. Green Bay Packers*- channing crowder olb
25. Denver Broncos*- matt roth de
26. New York Jets*- carlos rogers cb
27. Atlanta Falcons*- brandon browner cb
28. San Diego Chargers*- roscoe parrish wr
29. Indianapolis Colts*- bryant mcfadden cb
30. Philadelphia Eagles*- justin miller cb
31. New England Patriots*- justin tuck de
32. Pittsburgh Steelers*- alex smith te
AlexVanderpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #2
texansfan88
All Pro

kiper is a nut, Roscoe Parrish received 3rd and 4th round grades on his petition to the nfl board
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #3
texansfan88
All Pro

by the way, does kiper explain his picks on the insider stuff?
Old 01-18-2005   #4
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1298 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would absolutely LOVE that pick...

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #5
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan281
I would absolutely LOVE that pick...
Why? Especially when our #2 WR last year, Gaffney, was targeted only 68 times and our RB Davis was targeted 85 times. And that pick wouldnt help our D-Line which in return would help our LBs, which in turn would help the secondary, which in turn would help field position, which in return would help the offense...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #6
AlexVanderpool
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan88
by the way, does kiper explain his picks on the insider stuff?
Yes he does:

Houston Texans: Mike Williams</a> (jr.), WR, USC</b><br>
Williams did not play in 2004 but dominated the college game for two seasons while at USC. His 6-foot-5, 230-pound frame gives him a big advantage over defensive backs, and he would make a perfect complement to young standout receiver Andre Johnson.

here is the link:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/ncf/columns...mel&id=1969422
Old 01-18-2005   #7
texansfan88
All Pro

he's going #4 to the Bears but if by chance which he wont that he'd slip to 13, he would be taken b/c he'd be head and shoulders above everyone else
Sponsored links
Old 01-18-2005   #8
texansfan88
All Pro

is it worth the 6.95 a month to hear kiper jabber?
Old 01-18-2005   #9
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

A WR is the last thing we need...
Old 01-18-2005   #10
AlexVanderpool
Veteran

though wr isnt a 1st round priority, id be ecstatic if mike williams fell to us...a no-brainer to pick up at that spot, and a perfect posession reciever to pair w/ andre.
we might do better to trade down and pick up an extra 2nd rounder as well...

other thoughts:
- 3 rbs in the frist 5 picks??? benson is overrated and chicago has the perfect rb for lovie smith's offense.

- rolle and thomas davis will probably go higher.

- alex barron @21???? i thought he was supposed to be a top 5 pick.

- 5'9 roscoe parrish in the first round???? i need to see it to believe it.
Old 01-18-2005   #11
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11283 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mel Kiper's First Mock Draft

http://proxy.espn.go.com/ncf/columns...mel&id=1969422

I hope this worked. Anyways, Kiper has the Texans taking Mike Williams with the 13th pick. It would definitely help the offense explode next season.

Personally, I like Alex Barron from Florida State. He's a great pass blocker and is quick enough to play LT.
Old 01-18-2005   #12
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexVanderpool
1. San Francisco 49ers- Alex Smith-QB-Utah*
2. Miami Dolphins- Cedric Benson-RB-Texas
3. Cleveland Browns- Aaron rogers
4. Chicago Bears- ronnie brown rb
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- carnell williams rb
6. Tennessee Titans- adam jones cb
7. Oakland Raiders- dan cody lb
8. Arizona Cardinals- travis johnson dt
9. Washington Redskins- braylon edwards wr
10. Detroit Lions- heath miller te
11. Dallas Cowboys- shawne merriman olb
12. San Diego Chargers(NYG)- derrick johnson lb
13. Houston Texans- MIKE WILLIAMS WR
14. Carolina Panthers- jammal brown ot
15. Kansas City Chiefs- antrel rolle cb
16. New Orleans Saints- thomas davis s
17. Cincinnati Bengals- erasmus james de
18. Minnesota Vikings*- shaun cody dl
19. St. Louis Rams*- david pollack de
20. Dallas Cowboys(BUF)- troy williamson wr
21. Jacksonville Jaguars- alex barron ot
22. Baltimore Ravens- roddy white wr
23. Seattle Seahawks*- darryl blackstock olb
24. Green Bay Packers*- channing crowder olb
25. Denver Broncos*- matt roth de
26. New York Jets*- carlos rogers cb
27. Atlanta Falcons*- brandon browner cb
28. San Diego Chargers*- roscoe parrish wr
29. Indianapolis Colts*- bryant mcfadden cb
30. Philadelphia Eagles*- justin miller cb
31. New England Patriots*- justin tuck de
32. Pittsburgh Steelers*- alex smith te
the bears wont take a rb before a wr. edwards or mike willams to chicago
if derrik johnson fell to past dallas i know caserly would try to get him
if rolle is available at 13 it is a much easier and a much smarter choice than williams.
williams will be a great player in this league, but not on our team.
detroit will probally take thomas davis.
alex barron wont fall to 21, if he is there and rolle isnt i would like to see us take him.
RECAP: rolle or barron before williams
if johnson is there at 12, we should trade up one s
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #13
pek281
Rookie

Rep Power: 17 pek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden cover

Kiper throws us a bone and we salivate all over it... at least *I* did at the thought of getting Mike Williams at WR.

In MY mind for that spot, I was looking at best available player and NOT at needs. I agree with a lot of you that WR isn't our most glaring need, although a WR of his caliber certainly doesn't hurt matters.

Our most glaring need is either the O-line or D-line for sure. Our most pressing problems can be solved by addressing these.

Still though, isn't that gleaming, brand new car at the dealership more sexy than what you've already got in the garage? That dang Kiper got me dreaming.
pek281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #14
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 28360 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
the bears wont take a rb before a wr. edwards or mike willams to chicago
Let's not forget these are the same Bears who were stupid enough to trade Marty Booker instead of Anthony Thomas/Thomas Jones to Miami.
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #15
Skrobes66
Rookie

Default WR needs playmaker

This is a great pick! WR should be our #1 concern. Our defense has been solid. The main problem is not putting the ball in the end zone. I know defense wins championships, but we need to give the defense some rest. Jabar Gaffney is a very good receiver but he is a slot receiver (Just like Brandon Stokley of the Colts). We need to be able to spread the ball out and keep Andre Johnson from getting doubled.
Skrobes66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #16
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrobes66
Our defense has been solid...
They had that great stretch at the end but thats when they played the Bears, Jags, and Browns. None of those are going to be confused as offensive juggernaughts. Lee Suggs ran all over them, the Jags would of had a bunch of rushing yards if it werent for a couple of holding calls and us going up so quickly, and Thomas Jones started out great by the offense put us up so the Bears abonded the run game in the 2nd half. Our run defense stinks and we need some fresh, young bodies down there. Marcus Spears or Shaun Cody would be nice and DL is more of a need then WR.

If Gaff was targeted as much as Ashley Lelie (around 100 times), Gaff would have over 900 yards receiving (Lucky did that stat somewhere). The problem is Carr always checks down to Davis, sometimes too quickly, and takes away oppurtunities from Gaff. Davis was targeted (85 times) more then Gaff (65ish times) so a 2nd WR is not a problem, Gaff is that guy.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Old 01-18-2005   #17
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I know some of you are going to play forgetful, but i remember having knock down debates over Andre Johnson on 2002 for the same reason as this Mike williams projection, the OLine needs help more than WR. Too many of you guys mistake the draft as resolution, in order, of a team highest priority need. the draft especially at the top of the first round is about the acquisition of talent. IMO, there is not a DLman nor OLman available at 13 who are better talents at their position than williams is at WR. rolle at CB is probably the next best talent, and then following that there are a couple of De/OLB tweeners. When given a choice of clear talent over need i go talent. Over time you will be better off. Neither Andre johnson nor Dunta Robinson resolved the highest need for the Texans in 2002 or 2003 , but they are pro bowl and near pro bowl performers. I expect the Texans to take the best talent as they did in 2002 and 2003 and hope that the results are some what similiar.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #18
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

I felt D-Rob and AJ both were needs. In 2002, I thought WR was a more glaring need then OL because I knew that we had all those injuries the first year and were starting a bunch of rookies. That season, we cut our sacks in almost half if I remember correctly. In 2003, we needed defense and with an aging Aaron Glenn, drafting a CB would do us great and would also get rid of Matt Stevens at FS. Now, I have never agreed with a lot of you but I feel as much as the Texans say BPA, they will go with their need.

And I dont see Mike Williams fitting into this offense. Capers wants a pound the rock type offense with deep threats down the field to work off the play action. Gaff is probably a better deep threat then Williams. So if you are going to upgrade any position in the offense, it would probably be adding an explosive back to tag with Davis so the play action will work more. And I remember plenty of times when D-lineman would not bite on the play-action fake this year and put their head down and go after Carr...

Old 01-18-2005   #19
playoffsin2005
Rookie

The Colt's were the best at play action this season. Wher are they at? Home. What we need is to develop a short passing style and take shots downfield on One on one situations. Need proof ? Of the 4 teams left in the playoffs, 3 of them use a short passing game Atlanta, Philly, and NE. Williams would work . He big , physical pressance makes him an easy target off the ball.
playoffsin2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
I know some of you are going to play forgetful, but i remember having knock down debates over Andre Johnson on 2002 for the same reason as this Mike williams projection, the OLine needs help more than WR. Too many of you guys mistake the draft as resolution, in order, of a team highest priority need. the draft especially at the top of the first round is about the acquisition of talent.
You know we are water processing into the wind on this don't you? Gotta keep up the good fight though.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read