Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-18-2005   #1
ComstockLode
Veteran

Default NFL Draft Countdown Mock Draft(one of the best)

NFL Draft Countdown

Dear gawd.... It has Derrick Johnson dropping to 16 to the New Orleans Saints... I just dont see it.

It has us picking Thomas Davis.

What do you guys think? Just wondering, if DJ dropped to us, Do you think we would take him?

As you can tell, I have a mancrush on DJ.
ComstockLode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #2
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

I have finally decided that the safest pick, the pick that can take alot of the burden off of DD in the passing game, give Carr another threat, and help in the run game is TE Heath Miller from Virginia. There is a very good chance he will be available when we pick, I know its the same slot that Shockey was picked, and while he isn't in that class of Tight End, at 6'5 255lbs, and running a 4.65 40. He is heads and shoulders above anyone we have put on the field.

He runs faster than Dallas Clark, and is slightly bigger.

Second round I'd look for David Baas to replace McKinney in the middle, if not this year, then when his contract expires the following year.

3rd round picks i'd look for a nose tackle and then best player available. can't wait til draft day....
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

You are talking about one mad person here if Derrick Johnson is still on the board when we pick and we don't pick him. We need playmakers on D and that is exactly what he is. However, the likelihood of someone like him lasting til 13 is pretty slim.

In the 3rd round, if this guy is still there, I want to draft Eric Shelton RB from Louisville. I think we can get an offensive lineman in the second round because there sure isn't anyone that stands out enough in my opinion to be drafted in the first round.

Besides they need to update this draft list. Rodrique Wright and Matt Leinart have already said they are staying in school.

Also, aren't we the # 13 pick? Why are we listed at #16.

Last edited by El Tejano; 01-18-2005 at 10:01 AM.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

imagine they will all come around to beerlovers thinking (Derrrick Johnson #6). What really worrys me is what if Elton Brown is not available when the Texans are on the clock, do the Texans pick a CB instead of addressing their #1 need just because BPA
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #5
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont think the Texans would go guard until round 2. #13 is a high price for a guard. The first guard in 2004 was Chris Snee at #34. #33 in 2003, and even lower in 2002.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
I dont think the Texans would go guard until round 2. #13 is a high price for a guard. The first guard in 2004 was Chris Snee at #34. #33 in 2003, and even lower in 2002.
most recently Carolina drafted Jordan Gross 8th pick overall (a player the texans were rumored to be interested in) in 2003. Carolina went on to the Superbowl largly because they addressed the offensive line. Elton Brown is a PRO BOWL type of guard not just a starting guard, much better upside than Gross, IMO. Round 2 does everyone really expect David Bass to still be available when the Texans draft?
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #7
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
imagine they will all come around to beerlovers thinking (Derrrick Johnson #6). What really worrys me is what if Elton Brown is not available when the Texans are on the clock, do the Texans pick a CB instead of addressing their #1 need just because BPA
BPA all the way.

sincerely

Charlie Casserly
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-18-2005   #8
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
Besides they need to update this draft list. Rodrique Wright and Matt Leinart have already said they are staying in school.

Also, aren't we the # 13 pick? Why are we listed at #16.
Hit F5 when you're on the site...
Old 01-18-2005   #9
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquescas
I have finally decided that the safest pick, the pick that can take alot of the burden off of DD in the passing game, give Carr another threat, and help in the run game is TE Heath Miller from Virginia. There is a very good chance he will be available when we pick, I know its the same slot that Shockey was picked, and while he isn't in that class of Tight End, at 6'5 255lbs, and running a 4.65 40. He is heads and shoulders above anyone we have put on the field.

Second round I'd look for David Baas to replace McKinney in the middle, if not this year, then when his contract expires the following year.

3rd round picks i'd look for a nose tackle and then best player available. can't wait til draft day....
Let me get this straight. You think a second round pick to replace McKinney in '05 or '06 is 2nd most important area to address? No offense, but I just said a prayer thanking God you have nothing to do with the draft.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005   #10
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

I just dont see us passing on DJ if hes there, even if TD is still on the board, the only way I see us passing on him is if Antrell falls to us but even then its a toss up, I just dont see that happening.
Old 01-18-2005   #11
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

DJ > Thomas Davis...Simple as that...NFLDraftCountdown.Com has us passing him up because he's supposedly not a 34 player, which is debatable...
Old 01-18-2005   #12
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
NFLDraftCountdown.Com has us passing him up because he's supposedly not a 34 player, which is debatable...
I love the 3-4 but if we have to pass on Derrick Johnson because he cant fit into the 3-4, then my opinion on the 3-4 will be totally opposite...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005   #13
J-Man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquescas

I will have to say that I am starting to come to a similar conclusion as well. I think that the TE position is clearly becoming a much higer priority over the last 3yrs. You used have one or maybe two really elite TEs in the leage that teams would consider as a 1 or 1A option in pass plays. With the 5-yrd chuck rule a TE verses anything less than an upper echelon LB is a clear mismatch. The fact is that a quality TE can make an QB look pretty good. No knock on Vinny Testeverde or Julius Jones but Jason Witten was clearly the offensive standout on that team for most of the year and frankly saved Vinny's bacon on more than a couple instances.

Heath Miller is NOT a one dimensional TE...I saw him in 3 games this year and he is a solid TE blocker (good with double teams and chips) and an excellent pass catcher. He might be the safest pick if Derrick Johnson and Antrel Rolle are off the board by pick 13...which I very much think will be the case.

Eat 'em Up, KATS!
J-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005   #14
wiley2002
Veteran

Don't bash me here because this is just a thought. If we were to pick up DJ in the draft wouldn't moving Babin to DE be better since he played one in college?
wiley2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005   #15
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't forget the fact we made Babin an OLB is because he would be too small to be a DE in the 3-4. I believe you could put Johnson in the MLB position, and keep Peek and Babin fresh by rotating.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley2002
Don't bash me here because this is just a thought. If we were to pick up DJ in the draft wouldn't moving Babin to DE be better since he played one in college?
Babin is not big enough. Also, he wasn't a 3-4 end. The body types are totally different.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005   #17
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

My money would be on Johnson going to OLB and Wong back to ILB. But like you said, he is more of a 4-3 lb who needs dt help, rather than a 3-4 lb.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read