Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-12-2005   #1
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Exclamation OLB shuffle? Gary Walker gets me thinking.

With all the help we need with pash rush, and the importance of some good OLB, why do the Texans keep letting go OLB like Posey, and Foley?

Was it just that the Texans didnt offer them more than another team?

Or was it that the Texans really didnt try to get them to stay?

To be honest, I dont know much on this subject, which is why Im asking.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005   #2
Texan Gal 312
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
With all the help we need with pash rush, and the importance of some good OLB, why do the Texans keep letting go OLB like Posey, and Foley?

Was it just that the Texans didnt offer them more than another team?

Or was it that the Texans really didnt try to get them to stay?

To be honest, I dont know much on this subject, which is why Im asking.
I knoqw the Bills swoop in and signed Posey on the first day of free agency. I don't think Posey even gave them a chance to make him an offer in response.

I think Foley just blossomed this year or found a good fit or a combination thereof. It wasn't like he was a big name free agent that SD signed I don't think many on this board even made a minor fuss over the Texans losing Foley. Until recently, of course. Hindsight is always much better
Texan Gal 312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

We picked Foley off Waivers from the Bengals. I guess he was just a late bloomer, or was just a better fit in the Wade Phillips scheme. On Posey, Texan Gal is right, he bolted as an unrestricted FA. He signed with the Bills shortly after Midnight as soon as he was eligible if my memory serves me correctly.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005   #4
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
On Posey, Texan Gal is right, he bolted as an unrestricted FA. He signed with the Bills shortly after Midnight as soon as he was eligible if my memory serves me correctly.
Thats how I remember it too, and I think the Texans believed they'd be able to purpose a counter offer before Posey would sign any contract but that turned out not to be the case. Either the Texans management was misled by either Posey or his agent, or the Texans management made an assumption that proved out to be wrong. I find it a little hard to believe that the Texans management made the assumption that they'd have a chance to match any offer to an UFA without having been led to believe they would from either Posey or his agent.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

John Abraham is not a 3-4 end. He would be a linebacker here. Also, Babin is the starter at strong side linebacker. Not much question about that.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005   #6
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think this could be our D for next year:
FS: Marcus Coleman SS:Glenn Earl
CB: Dunta Robinson CB: Aaron Glenn OR we could go after Charles Woodson?
MLB: Jamie Sharper, Kailee Wong
OLB: Cheatwood, Antwan Peek, Babin(?)
END: Gary Walker, John Abraham
Nose: Robaire Smith
NO WAY. Woodson is overrated and overpaid. The fans in Oakland don't even want him there anymore.
Old 01-13-2005   #7
LB Love
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to LB Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Gal 312
I think Foley just blossomed this year or found a good fit or a combination thereof.
Yea, there was a blurb in ESPN the mag that pretty much said that.

"When he signed with Houston as a free agent in 2003, Foley thought he'd thrive in the Texans' 3-4. But Dom Capers' emphasis on the zone blitz meant Foley was stuck in coverage as often as he rushed the passer."

Still not sure how I feel about Capers and Fangio's complicated defensive schemes...
Old 01-13-2005   #8
Cincinnatikid
Veteran

do people not realize this team needs inside lbs and not outside. Babin played well this season, Peek should start next season. THen they have Wong who should play inside but can back up outside as well, and they have the new guy from CFL. Why would they sign anyone else? All this talk of the pass rush being bad. I think that if peek and babin are in together and stop getting double teamed cuz the the line picks it up, then the sacks will be coming next season. Besides they had so many pressures and qb hits between the two of them, you know all they need is another split second and the sacks would be there.
Cincinnatikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005   #9
Texan Gal 312
Veteran

Default Cheatwood making the team ?

Why is everyone so high on Cheatwood. We signed him from the CFL. It would be a plus if he makes the team and most likely he would play only special teams. I would say Charlie Anderson and Shantee Orr will be ahead of him on the depth chart.

Keep an eye on Anderson - He is a converted college defensive, drafted in the sixth round in 2004. The lowest of the 2004 draft picks to make the team. I would say making the team at OLB and getting enough playing time to be noticed in your rookie year while making the conversion from DE is way ahead on the development curve.
Texan Gal 312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005   #10
hou059
Veteran

Nothing changes in the front seven. Peek probably will get more playing time and possobly a rookie DT getting some reps, deepening our d-line rotation. But all this talk of Cheatwood starting at OLB or seeing significant playing time for us is crazy. It's eveident we have plenty of depth at the LB position. The Texans probably won't go after any big name FA, especially not Woodson and Abraham. Did yall forget that WOng knows the ILB position and that if there were a change in that group, that would be it. Moving Wong inside in place of Foreman makes sense and playing Peek and Babin on the outside. Why are people so eager to give our "D" a make over?
hou059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005   #11
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
With all the help we need with pash rush ... why do the Texans keep letting go OLB like ... Foley?...
I see a caution flag on Foley. I know he had a good year, but remember, he wasn't drafted by the Texans. The question is "why did the Bengals let him go ..." and then the Texans had a look see (didn't cost them anything) and let him move on. ???
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read