Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk"
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk" Rival fans & lighthearted smack talk. Keep it light and leave the mean spirited stuff at home please.

Old 01-09-2009   #1
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44358 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Some one tell me why I miss the Oilers?

I found this sum up of the Oilers existence. I thought it was pretty funny. The best part is this:
Quote:
Adams greeted Gallagher with a crack about his bald top. Gallagher, noting Adams' ranch attire, suggested that Adams might not want to be photographed with the group. Adams retorted with an ethnic slur, Gallagher challenged him and, in a flash, the two were rumbling on the floor. Gallagher landed a punch to Adams' jaw. Adams caught Gallagher in the nose with his elbow. Davis and Buffalo owner Ralph Wilson jumped into the pile in an attempt to break up the fight.
Pretty funny that Captain Comb Over would make fun of someone about being bald.

http://texnews.com/texsports97/oilers063097.html

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009   #2
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Some one tell me why I miss the Oilers?

"An Adams accountant-turned-best-boy, Herzeg became GM in 1980. By 1987, he was out of control. He was arrested after disrupting a wedding reception at his hotel in Buffalo and punching the groom's brother. He denied accusations he mooned the wedding party but offered to resign anyway. Adams kept him. Later that year, Herzeg was ordered to pay child support in connection with a paternity suit. Two years later, he punched a sports writer in a Houston restaurant. He offered again to resign. This time, Adams took his advice."

I clearly recall this happening and how embarassing it was for the franchise. Adams is a schlong.

Catch the bit about being a penny pincher? I truly hope Tennessee feels this grief soon.

"Bud Adams' favorite means of pinching pennies has always been pinching players. Charlie Hennigan, one of the club's early receiving stars, was a high school biology teacher in Louisiana before he tried out and made the team in 1960. Hennigan kept a pay stub in his helmet as a constant reminder that he made exactly $2,724.18 during his final year of teaching. In football, Hennigan knew, he could make twice the money in half the time. Yet, in 1965, Hennigan threatened to retire from the Oilers. Hennigan believed his 1964 performance qualified him for a raise. Adams disagreed. And just what had Hennigan done in 1964 that was so special?

He caught 101 passes - the most in pro football history."
Old 01-09-2009   #3
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 112830 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post

I clearly recall this happening and how embarassing it was for the franchise. Adams is a schlong.

Catch the bit about being a penny pincher? I truly hope Tennessee feels this grief soon.
I remember that too. Sometimes this team was just too Adamsesque. I can recall when Bud noticed Jack Pardee didn't wear a headset on the sidelines and told him whether he uses the headset or not to put the thing on and at least look like a head coach....lol.

They were my hometown team throughout my childhood, I always loved them and for that I am thankful for the experience. I lived and died with them and I wouldn't take back most of it, some of it (Bud) I could have lived without. I'm just glad they took Bud with them.

Here's a funny article from The Memphis Flyer I thought was a good warning to all Titan fans. I've got to read that Ed Fowler book.

When the wins become harder to come by Tennessee, don't say we didn't tell you so.
Old 01-09-2009   #4
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 45478 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
I remember that too. Sometimes this team was just too Adamsesque. I can recall when Bud noticed Jack Pardee didn't wear a headset on the sidelines and told him whether he uses the headset or not to put the thing on and at least look like a head coach....lol.

They were my hometown team throughout my childhood, I always loved them and for that I am thankful for the experience. I lived and died with them and I wouldn't take back most of it, some of it (Bud) I could have lived without. I'm just glad they took Bud with them.

Here's a funny article from The Memphis Flyer I thought was a good warning to all Titan fans. I've got to read that Ed Fowler book.

When the wins become harder to come by Tennessee, don't say we didn't tell you so.
OMG!! I'm sitting here laughing my ass off about Pardee with his headset on that isn't plugged into anything. Ah...Good times.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009   #5
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
"An Adams accountant-turned-best-boy, Herzeg became GM in 1980. By 1987, he was out of control. He was arrested after disrupting a wedding reception at his hotel in Buffalo and punching the groom's brother. He denied accusations he mooned the wedding party but offered to resign anyway. Adams kept him. Later that year, Herzeg was ordered to pay child support in connection with a paternity suit. Two years later, he punched a sports writer in a Houston restaurant. He offered again to resign. This time, Adams took his advice."

"Bud Adams' favorite means of pinching pennies has always been pinching players. Charlie Hennigan, one of the club's early receiving stars, was a high school biology teacher in Louisiana before he tried out and made the team in 1960. Hennigan kept a pay stub in his helmet as a constant reminder that he made exactly $2,724.18 during his final year of teaching. In football, Hennigan knew, he could make twice the money in half the time. Yet, in 1965, Hennigan threatened to retire from the Oilers. Hennigan believed his 1964 performance qualified him for a raise. Adams disagreed. And just what had Hennigan done in 1964 that was so special?

He caught 101 passes - the most in pro football history."

Penny pincher? I still have the oiler helmet shaped tie pin Bud sent me for being a season ticket holder back in the day.

I have great and not so great memories of the Oiler days.

I still haven't gained the fandom for the Texans that I had for the Oilers...but I'm working on it.

Old 01-09-2009   #6
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209570 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I loved the Oilers, but they don't exist anymore. Neither do the Gamblers or the original crew of the original Star Trek. What we got now is the Texans. Personally, I think in the long run we'll be better off with the Texans than we would have been had the Oilers stayed.

I guess only time will tell.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009   #7
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 20333 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, I wouldn't have minded if Houston was awarded with the Cleveland package. We'd have our same players and staff we do now, but they'd just be called the Oilers instead of Texans.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-10-2009   #8
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 80316 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Well, I wouldn't have minded if Houston was awarded with the Cleveland package. We'd have our same players and staff we do now, but they'd just be called the Oilers instead of Texans.
True, that Oilers gear blowout sale that I had wouldn't have been necessary.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk"
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read