Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-31-2004   #1
HoustonTexansAreTheBest
Veteran

Default June 1st

June 1st will come and go tommorow. My question is, do you think Texans will sign anyone?

I just read that Kenyatta Walker from the Bucs may be released. I wouldn't mind giving him a chance, you can never have enough quality OLine on one team. Plus, Walker is only 25, still quite young.

"Hope Is On the Way"-John Edwards
HoustonTexansAreTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004   #2
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

I dont know where Walker would play, he would probably ask for too much to be a backup

Here is an article by Peter King
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...mqb/index.html

If we go after anybody, he most likely be Jeremiah Trotter, IMO

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004   #3
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

i would love to see trotter in a texans uniform, but i doubt it will happen...cc said if we signed anyone, it would be back-up, so i'm not expecting a big signing...if we do, great...
D-ReK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004   #4
HoustonTexansAreTheBest
Veteran

I read that same article Fiddy. In that article, it says Trotter only has one year left in him. I don't know where K Walker could play, maybe a backup. Maybe if Wand doesn't pan out, Walker can step up and play at either tackle position. Not sure.

"Hope Is On the Way"-John Edwards
HoustonTexansAreTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004   #5
Genuine
Rookie

I highly doubt Kenyatta Walker will be released.
Like I said before, he is still in his rookie contract and wouldn't save Tampa enough money to give up on him so soon. They got more expensive guys with less of an upside.

Last edited by Genuine; 06-01-2004 at 12:05 AM.
Genuine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004   #6
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Some local (St. Pete) insight into Walker's situation. http://www.sptimes.com/2004/04/28/Bu...t_for_Ju.shtml
Sounds like there may be more than cap hit at issue.

I highly doubt the Texans do any more in free agency. They are up against the cap themselves at only $4.4 under per Clayton (and that's top 51 players - not including the ~500k for the 52nd and 53rd player. If I recall, their rookie pool is in the neighborhood of 4 million so they will be using most of their existing cap space to sign the rooks and leave a little margin for IR and practice squad players during the season.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004   #7
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
I think Trotter is just another "Clemons" waiting to happen.
Yeah he could be, but when you have Troy Evans backing up Jamie Sharper and Jay Foreman you need help in some way and Trotter could be that help.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-31-2004   #8
Caw Daddy
Rookie

Pick Up A Db/lb/dl
Caw Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004   #9
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

well i'm sure the one spot casserly will look at the most is d-line...i think we might pick up one quality back-up at the NT position other than that i don't see us making a serious run at anyone...san diego on the other hand needs all the help they can get
Old 05-31-2004   #10
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Even if Trotter would accept a backup role, he might only be able to service as a backup for a year or so. That's not much help for the price you'd have to pay to get him. Don't underestimate Evans as a backup. Granted hes not as flashy or talented as Trotter, but he does have experience in the system and he's a tough hard nosed player. Don't get me wrong, I'd like more depth at LB too, but I don't think picking up a guy out of desperation is the way to go about it. The June 1st cuts have provided slim pickings at best the past couple years since teams have gotten better accustomed to the whole salary cap/dead money situation. The only crucial acquistion made by a team thanks to the June 1 cuts over the past few years I can think of is the Keenan McCardell to Tampa Bay deal. They went on to win the SB that year. The bottom line is I'd take a tough hard nosed player who'll give me all he has no matter what role he plays over a guy with a 'I gotta start or I won't play' mentality. Not a knock on Trotter, but with Evans you already know what you're getting.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004   #11
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
I know the team is interested in trotter, but out LB spot in loaded. I think Trotter is just another "Clemons" waiting to happen.

Was Clemons a 2 time pro-bowler. He is 27, and I think he has at least 4 more quality years left in the tank. He may end up being a Clemons, but I really dont think so. I wouldnt mind signing him or Marcus Bell. Gildon may be a bit too old.
Old 06-02-2004   #12
texansalltheway
Rookie

What about these guys to come in to back up NG. They were just cut by Ariz.

Marcus Bell DT
Height: 6-2
Weight: 323
Born: 06/01/1979
College: Memphis
NFL Experience: 4

Year Team G Total Tckl Ast Sacks
2001 Ari 13 23 16.0 7 0.5
2002 Ari 16 34 25.0 9 2
2003 Ari 13 23 21.0 2 1

Barron Tanner DT
Height: 6-3
Weight: 347
Born: 09/14/1973
College: Oklahoma
NFL Experience: 7

Year Team G Total Tckl Ast Sacks
1997 Mia 16 22 16.0 6
1998 Mia 13 9 5.0 4
1999 Wash 0 0 0.0 0
2000 Ariz 4 5 5.0 0 0
2001 Ariz 16 37 24.0 13 0
2002 Ariz 15 25 16.0 9 2
2003 Ariz 14 17 13.0 4 1
texansalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004   #13
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

I have a thread about Bell but the other dude is kinda old, thats why I didnt say anything about him, I think Bell would be a perfect backup, he has the perfect size for a 3-4 NT.
Old 06-02-2004   #14
texansalltheway
Rookie

Sorry, just read your other post after i posted, good thread. Tanner is old but he is still only 31 . We can probably get him for less money than Bell, since we don't have a lot of cap space. Plus he is massive, 6'3" 347. All we need is a cheap experienced back-up.
texansalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004   #15
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default Releases......

I know with the recent salary cap dumps, some can get a little pumped up to see whom we can add to our already elustrious team. But fans, PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, FORGET ABOUT "Chasin'" Jason Gildon. The guy is way over the hill. With the Steelers he truely only had two productive seasons, and is horrible in pass coverage. Last season, he was benched occaisionally for this seasons starter, Clark Haggans, who visited the Texans last season. (I thought he would have been a great pick up last season, and not going with out of shape Charlie Clemons!!!) The Texans would be better off picking up Trotter, beefing up the middle with a harder hitting MLB than Foreman. Gildon didn't get his nickname for making tackles, he was chasing running backs down the field..........and was way behind them!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read