Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-02-2005   #1
fresno8
Veteran

Default Casserly

Charley Casserly Excellent job getting us skill players Carr/Johnson/DD/Dunta/Babin/Sharper/wong/glenn

Horrible job w/ the O-line, jury still out on D-line, but not very good (walker 1 good year/payne injuries, Smith still a ?)

Bottomline
Until we win in the trenches and let our playmaker make plays on both sides of the ball this is what we'll get every year. I hope we solve these problems because I like this team and this team does have talent and I want to see them succeed. I don't like being negative, but we have glaring problems on both sides of the line stunting our growth.
Also I would like a coach who wants to win games not play to lose them and who has his team ready to play every week. I'd also like a creative O-coordinator, or Capers needs to let palmer open things up.
fresno8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005   #2
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresno8
...I'd also like a creative O-coordinator, or Capers needs to let palmer open things up.
Open things up? Carr was sacked 49 times in 467 attempts. That's not even counting the number of times he was hit after the ball was released, was chased from the backfield, or had to throw the ball out of bounds to avoid a sack. They can't afford to "open things up" more than they are.
Old 01-02-2005   #3
fresno8
Veteran

Carr doesn't have time to throw deep w/ his pathetic line. I just wish we threw more. Quick slant, quick out, quick drag. I think we could do that, and AJ and Bradford run well after the catch. Just so its not run, run, 3rd and 7 or 3rd and 8, punt. Hopefully if we ever get a line Palmer is smart enough to throw deep.
Old 01-02-2005   #4
Texan Gal 312
Veteran

Quote:
Carr doesn't have time to throw deep w/ his pathetic line. I just wish we threw more. Quick slant, quick out, quick drag. I think we could do that, and AJ and Bradford run well after the catch. Just so its not run, run, 3rd and 7 or 3rd and 8, punt. Hopefully if we ever get a line Palmer is smart enough to throw deep.
The quick throws are not open because the defense is all over it. They have seven guys covering our 3 receivers and our 7 guys blocking can't keep their 4 defensive lineman off Carr for more than 2 seconds.
We actually do better when a team blitzes us because it opens up the quick passes. However, more and more teams have figured out there is no need to blitz.
Texan Gal 312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005   #5
fresno8
Veteran

We just have to do something. We can't run every play. None of our pass plays look easy, you never see us just playing pitch and catch. Every pass play Carr has to thread a needle and run for his life. I guess we just can't pass until something happens on the line. This is frustrating, not giving up though hopefully help is on the way.
Old 01-02-2005   #6
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

No doubt. It all starts with the O-line in my opinion. I'm kinda glad the season ended like this so the management won't be content with keeping this current O-line mix. Not saying the overall unit is bad but something be it personel, coordinators, and/or scheme has to be seriously over hauled. I'm sorry, Carr has done an exceptional job the past three years considering what he had to work with in front of him. But at this pace he might not make it to the end of his contract. I thought that last hit he took told the whole story.
Old 01-02-2005   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Carr doesn't have time to throw deep w/ his pathetic line.
Early in the game they got the fly pattern to AJ, but Carr overthrew him. Overthrew him by just a tad, but he overthrew him. And he had time to make the pass.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-02-2005   #8
fresno8
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
Early in the game they got the fly pattern to AJ, but Carr overthrew him. Overthrew him by just a tad, but he overthrew him. And he had time to make the pass.
If we could do that more often Carr and Johnson will get their timing down on that play. and that overthrow won't happen. That play has hardly happened this year. And that was about 1 of 3 plays where Carr had time. Hopefully we can get a line so we can see some more downfield looks. We've got a great combo in Carr and AJ and hopefully another playmaker will be in the mix in a year or 2.
Old 01-02-2005   #9
Texan Gal 312
Veteran

Quote:
Yes he did overthrow him, 65 yards down the field. (shoulder must still be hurt) Even Manning doesn't hit that route everytime, probably 50/50.
It was also a one receiver route.
Texan Gal 312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005   #10
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
OK, he gets one chance in a blue moon to have time to throw and he over throws by JUST a little bit. Ever occured to you that they MIGHT need a little experience doing it? Just because he suddenly gets a little time doesn't mean it's something that is a practised item and expected ite, not to metion the plain old surprise factor.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read