Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-31-2004   #1
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Marcus Spears, Rodrique Wright, and Anttaj Hawthorne

So, we need to improve our pass rush, but we already seem to have our guys at OLB (Peek, Wong, and Babin).. so then.. how can we improve our pass rush? with a more dominant line. A 3-4 line is supposed to tie up multiple blockers in order to free up those OLBs.. that isnt happening often enough, so im thinking that a playmaker on the line will be a big priority with us.

I know ILB is also a big one, but a new ILB isnt gonna help our pass rush as much.

Anywho.. the way I see it.. there are 3 guys that are 1st round quality 3-4 linemen.. Marcus Spears, Rodrique Wright, and Anttaj Hawthorne. Chances are Hawthorne will not be available at our pick.. but if he is I think we would jump on him.. of the other two, either one could be available to us, and of the two id take Wright, then Spears.. though both would be great picks I think.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004   #2
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Marcus Spears/Roderick Wright DL
2. Darnell Bing SS
3. Kevin Everett TE
3. Antonio Perkins CB/KR/PR
4. Robert McCune ILB
5. ?
6. ?
7. ?
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004   #3
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

i don't know if perkins will be worth a third round pick, i see him more towards the forth or fifth because of his height and lack of national spotlight on him instead of his team. who knows, i could be wrong.
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004   #4
texansfan88
All Pro

The following lineman are 1st round quality picks

Antaaj Hawthorne
Marcus Spears
Shaun Cody
Travis Johnson
Dan Cody
Erasmus James
David Pollack
Jovan Haye

NOTE: I didn't add Mathias Kiwanuka and Rod Wright because neither have declared.

The way I see it, Only Spears, Johnson and Hawthorne would fit in well with a 3-4 defense.

If it comes down to those 3, expect Spears to get the nod. If it comes down to Spears and Thomas Davis, safety from Georgia, expect the Texans to go with him as a steal.

Last edited by texansfan88; 12-31-2004 at 10:34 PM.
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

slim pickings for DT's in this years draft, Marcus Spears being the best package of character, experience, leadership, size, speed and athleticism who might still be available when the Texans select. I could see the Texans try & trade up to around the 10 spot if Haloti Ngata declares his intention to enter this years draft (Payne is due a big FA contract) but seems unlikely at this point the Texans use their first round pick on a lineman, defensive or offensive (most of those are also staying in school).

I think it boils down to either a linebacker, safety, CB or outside chance of a RB if one of the big names fall. IMO
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004   #6
texansfan88
All Pro

A good friend of mine that is one of the most reliable people in the draftnik business talked to "a ceirtain team" wink wink about the top 5 needs for the team

In Order:

Strong Safety-If T.Davis is there, they take him
Defensive End assuming Payne doesn't come back
Left Guard- Elton Brown or David Baas possibilities
2nd wide receiver-need another playmaker to get the offense rolling
Middle Linebacker- Foreman just isn't getting props
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005   #7
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22889 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
... the way I see it, there are 3 guys that are 1st round quality 3-4 linemen.. Marcus Spears, Rodrique Wright, and Anttaj Hawthorne...
A lot of people like Marcus Spears, but at 297#, he's about 20 lbs light. in the NFL, I would be concerned with his ability to anchor against the run and also his ability to tie up multiple blockers.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-02-2005   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Spears is probably an ideal end really. You don't have to be 320 to be effective on the line in the 3-4. Just not 275.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005   #9
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22889 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Spears is probably an ideal end really. You don't have to be 320 to be effective on the line in the 3-4. Just not 275.
Part of my opinion is based on my observation that he was mostly ineffective against Iowa on Saturday. The announcers said he was playing hurt, but my impression is that he is not such a sure thing as to be worth the #13 pick.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005   #10
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I think he'll be the best of the LSU DLinemen that won the Sugar Bowl. Marquise Hill plays for NE and Chad Lavalais plays for the Falcons. Everything that I've seen of him suggests that he'll be a good fit for this team, but then again I'm nowhere near being a scout.
texasguy346 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005   #11
TexansCanes
All Pro

Quote:
Part of my opinion is based on my observation that he was mostly ineffective against Iowa on Saturday. The announcers said he was playing hurt, but my impression is that he is not such a sure thing as to be worth the #13 pick.
you're right he was playing hurt, a torn bicep, i have never had but the announcers said that it hurts pretty bad. i will say that i think he is worth the #13. he didn't play that great at the begining of the season but as the season wore on he returned to his old form. as a DE he is very good against the run and is quick off the ball. with his size he will fit in very well at the end in 3-4.
Old 01-03-2005   #12
Lucky

Rep Power: 139147 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19
A lot of people like Marcus Spears, but at 297#, he's about 20 lbs light...
You have to remember that Spears is only 21. He's likely to add muscle mass as he gets older and goes through a NFL training program. Spears had a great bowl game last year, so-so this year. Can a guy become consistant once he gets to the NFL is the question all scouts & GMs ask.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read