Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-31-2004   #1
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP
Default Its Dom

If you go to the Houston Web site and play the Carr interview (about 8 minutes) its very clear who's calling the offensive style and its not Palmer. We simply are not ever going to be a throw it to the WR offense under Dom's administration. Now, having said that I will say we drafted in the wrong direction based on that philosophy, but that's my opinion. Many have been wondering and I think the answer has been given through David.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004   #2
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

yes maybe so, but AJ has had a pretty good year, gaffney has done pretty well, and Davis has had his share of catches, i think he/they do a good job of mixing it up. We are a running team, but we are very capable of throwing it when we need to. Look at manning with Edge in the backfield. Whats wrong with that ? ALMOST same thing with us except we are more run, but still have a deadly passing game !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004   #3
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
If you go to the Houston Web site and play the Carr interview (about 8 minutes) its very clear who's calling the offensive style and its not Palmer. We simply are not ever going to be a throw it to the WR offense under Dom's administration. Now, having said that I will say we drafted in the wrong direction based on that philosophy, but that's my opinion. Many have been wondering and I think the answer has been given through David.
This is not news. This point gets lost in every fire Palmer post. Palmer is calling plays under the direction of Capers. It has been that way for three years and poster have trying to get that message across to other fans for that amount of time. Drafting wise the team did not do it wrong. The team wants a power running game with down field big play passing game.

From an investment point of view a starting calibur NFL QB and a big player WR normally physically hold up longer than a RB. When they have drafted in the first three years, IMO, at the point they have draftef in the 1st round there has not been an OLman better than the player taken by the Texans.

The Texans drafts have not been perfect and I have/can pick apart certain players/decisions, but overall the drafting has been above average.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004   #4
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you go to the Houston Web site and play the Carr interview (about 8 minutes) its very clear who's calling the offensive style and its not Palmer.
That's been very clear for a very long time. Palmer calls the plays within the general framework and philosophy that Dom has established. No revelation there.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004   #5
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

And something else that people keep missing is the fact that the Texans offensive line does not allow the coaching staff the option of being a wide-open offense. This offensive line doesn't protect Carr long enough for him to regularly look at more than one WR before having to dump it off to Davis out of the backfield. If they could protect Carr longer, we just might see Capers allow Palmer to open the offense just like Jim Mora and Tony Dungy (both defensive coaches) have allowed Peyton Manning to flourish.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004   #6
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I've said it before and I'll say it again. No matter how successful the Texans will be, there will be some who don't like the 'smash-mouth' philosophy. It's simply boring to them. It's their problem, and there is nothing that I, nor anyone else can, or should do to try to help them.

And as far as drafting and aquiring the wrong players for this philosophy, that is also wrong. There are plenty of successful winning teams who play smashmouth football, and have bigtime quarterbacks and wide receivers.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004   #7
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Big Ben and Hines Ward with the steelers..

carolina doesnt have the big QB but they do have Musid Muhammed (or however you spell that)

it is not unheard of.. not in the least. And when you consider that we are fashioning our team after the Steelers.. the Andre Johnson pick makes alot of sense. A big WR capable of making the play or doing some run blocking... like Hines Ward.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read