Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-28-2004   #1
BWPaint
Rookie

Default Offensive Line Biggest Issue

With the season winding down, and much talk about Carr and Double D, and how each has progressed this year, we AND the coaches have to look at the real variable that leads to their progression, or lack of...forget everything else, when all is said and done, it boils down to ...... Offensive line

I remember the days of of the Oliers...once drafted, Munchak, Matthews, and Stein..(what's his name?), changed the team.....IT ALL STARTS and ENDS in the TRENCHES.

RT - Wade - large man, slow, average at best, beat every 4th play on passes, decent on the run, can live with him for 2 more years
RG - Weigert - proto-type build, good on runs, injury prone, vulnerable to stunts, average-to-above
C - McKinney - good signing 2 years ago, (love ya man), can not zone block, needs help from Pitts on pass blocks, sorry dude, but you got to go - 2nd to 3rd stringer on every other team
LG - Pitts - slow, must hit weight room, fair on run blocks if he does not have to change directions, gets beat often on pass during stunts, needs more time to develop...average at best, we better address this position after center
LT - Wand - thrown into the job, great size, admiral job against DFenney(especially after seeing Ogden's performance)...but the guy is a rookie basically, gets beat often against quicker right ends...this position is too important to wait on his development..address in free agency if possible

Overall, we can live with the right side of the ball if Weigert can stay healthy....but boys, from the center over to the left...HAS TO BE ADDRESSED in free Agency or draft others that can come in (which would be asking for a miracle).

We all understand that Offensive line development takes time, AND THIS IS MY POINT, if we do not suck it up and address this need in the draft(I know you all want high profile players, but....), we will be in deep do-do for 4 more years. THIS IS THE NUMBER ONE FREE AGENCY AND DRAFT PRIORITY, and must be addressed.

IF you can get Mike Williams in the first round...go baby go, but after that, we better address the OLine.

Would like your thoughts...Merry Christmas to everyone. And you guys stay on the right side of the road on New Years Eve, we want you at the game on Sunday. SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY!

Last edited by BWPaint; 12-28-2004 at 11:36 PM.
BWPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004   #2
texansfan88
All Pro

we paid 35 million to a big slow average at best white guy?

FIRE CASSERLY

get real man...he made Duece McAllister a star at Ole Miss and made Ricky
Williams a star in Miami (look at the stats when they run to the right)
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004   #3
BWPaint
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan88

FIRE CASSERLY

You barkin' about, Wade?...
I am just giving my opinion and after watching video....and plus if you look at my post, he is one of the better ones on the run....but like I said, just my opinion.....what do I know...

Actually I was addressing their needs for 2005, but we can start a new thread about individual OL if you like.

....oh, and by the way...he is white...he is BIG...and he is slow
Old 12-28-2004   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan88

FIRE CASSERLY

Wade is going to be fine at RT for years to come. He is exactly what the Texans wanted a road grader type run-blocker that is adequate in pass protection. He has given up 4.5 sacks this year (while adjusting to a new team and scheme), basically the same he gave up each year in Miami. That said, the splits aren't in his (and Weigert's) favor on the running game this year:

Running to the right--2.8 ypc
Running to the left--4.2 ypc
Running up the middle--4.5 ypc

Maybe Pitts who "isn't ever going to get better" is better than you think.
Old 12-28-2004   #5
BWPaint
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Wade is going to be fine at RT for years to come. That said, the splits aren't in his favor this year:

Running to the right--2.8 ypc
Running to the left--4.2 ypc
Running up the middle--4.5 ypc

Maybe Pitts who "isn't ever going to get better" is better than you think.
Thank you.. and you can see it on film also....but some of this may be because of the new system....but for a guy 5 years or so in the league...it should not be a problem....yes we over paid him....but that is part of a new franchise and older franchises...
Old 12-28-2004   #6
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

dont forget pitts moving to guard after being our left tackle the first 2 years. even he said its different because you arent out in space and everything is inside.

anyone notice the runs to the left on a toss? usually they are pulling someone and getting a good block by the TE. i dont see how the left side of our line is a big weakness. if at all it WILL become our strength.

and 10 million dollar signing bonus is a big commitment to an average right tackle....what was the front office smoking right?
Old 12-28-2004   #7
BWPaint
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdude730
dont forget pitts moving to guard after being our left tackle the first 2 years. even he said its different because you arent out in space and everything is inside.

anyone notice the runs to the left on a toss? usually they are pulling someone and getting a good block by the TE. i dont see how the left side of our line is a big weakness. if at all it WILL become our strength.

and 10 million dollar signing bonus is a big commitment to an average right tackle....what was the front office smoking right?
I agree whole heartly...and I hope it becomes the heart and soul of the line..because without it...we will have problems...and there are definate improvements this year...but if you look at the tape, some of the spots on the line are in need of great repair...

...do not get me wrong...I love this team...I want them to improve....that is the reason for the post (plus I like to fluff a few feathers).
Sponsored links
Old 12-28-2004   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Steinkuhler is the name you are looking for. My look at the line is different than yours.

RT - Wade - Solid NFL Right Tackle.
RG - Weigert - a little bit stiff, but the best second level blocker on the team. Getting old and can still play but gets injured alot. Milford Brown is the future here.
C - McKinney - understands the game. Plays well at times. I'd like to see us upgrade here.
LG - Pitts - powerful, quick player prone to make mental mistakes. Dominating at times. Will continue to get better. No need to upgrade.
LT - Wand - If the right prospect is there in round one I can see us drafting a pick in the first round (only a couple of guys however). Otherwise I would expect to see Wand back as the starter. I would guess we take a Tackle somewhere in any case. We need the depth.
TE - Millerbreuner - We need Joppru to play. Fingers crossed. We probably need to address the TE on the first day or sign one in FA in any case.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004   #9
BWPaint
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
RT - Wade - Solid NFL Right Tackle.
LG - Pitts - powerful, quick player prone to make mental mistakes. Dominating at times. Will continue to get better.
TE - Millerbreuner - We need Joppru to play. Fingers crossed. We probably need to address the TE on the first day or sign one in FA in any case.
Wade - hmmm...can live with him, but man he really gets beat on pass and stunts...
Pitts - want to see the video you are watching....bright guy and love the guys, hope he develops, but I got 15 plays where he is did not perform well, last Sunday.
Agree on TE

Thanks Vinny, good to see your abound...(it's so easy for us to be Monday Morning Quarterbacks, huh?)
Old 12-28-2004   #10
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWPaint
Wade - hmmm...can live with him, but man he really gets beat on pass and stunts...
Hate to tell you, but everyone has been getting beat on pass and stunts this year...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004   #11
BWPaint
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
Hate to tell you, but everyone has been getting beat on pass and stunts this year...

...Across the league....that why they have 'em
Old 12-28-2004   #12
texansfan88
All Pro

BWPaint has probably been fooling around with the paint too much when he posted this
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWPaint
Pitts - want to see the video you are watching....bright guy and love the guys, hope he develops, but I got 15 plays where he is did not perform well, last Sunday.

Thanks Vinny, good to see your abound...(it's so easy for us to be Monday Morning Quarterbacks, huh?)
I've seen every snap of every game. It's just an opinion that I have formed. Mental mistakes include footwork issues and slow reads. He has great balance. He never played the game before College. He is still on a growth curve. If you look hard enough you will see him physically dominating at times.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004   #14
BWPaint
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I've seen every snap of every game. It's just an opinion that I have formed. Mental mistakes include footwork issues and slow reads. He has great balance. He never played the game before College. He is still on a growth curve. If you look hard enough you will see him physically dominating at times.
Yep, the story of Pitts is a good one. And this is one of the reasons McNair is a great owner. Pitts is well spoken, a man of integrity, and I hope we get to see him develop over the next 10 years, It is players like him that keep the NFL from looking and becoming like the NBA.
Old 12-29-2004   #15
Texanman
Rookie

Default Todd Wade

Wade's high ankle injury and rushing back to quickly hurt his performance. He gave up half of his sacks (2) in the first half at Denver and then had to be taken out due to pain and not being able to walk. Give the man some credit.
Texanman is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read