Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-17-2004   #1
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 87056 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Carrs Q & A

Dont know if this has been mentioned yet.
I was lining the bottom of my bird cage this evening using this mornings chronic. I noticed a Q & A session with David Carr.
One of the Questions and Davids answer:

Q: Why does it seem like every time you call an audible, it is to a run?

Trace Hearn
Kingwood

A: That's a lot of our offense. We don't audible a lot, but when we do, sometimes it's in a situation when we go run to run. Sometimes we go pass to pass, but that's rare. Most of the time, it's just based on the look. If we call a play where they're going to give us the run, that's usually the most demonstrative I get. When you notice that I'm audibling is when I have to yell out to the guys. Pass audibles can be done with a simple hand signal, so you rarely have to say anything

Bet the opposition hasn't caught on to this yet.

The Chronic

cac
Old 12-17-2004   #2
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee
Bet the opposition hasn't caught on to this yet.
No kidding. That's sounds really bad.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004   #3
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

What bothers me about this is that it seems to contradict those that think Carr is always audiblizing into the run. Seems like he's saying they only go run-run or pass-pass in the audible format. Also, says he has little choice and that perhaps Capers and Palmer are giving him no leave way at all. Vinny, what is your take on this, because I think this runs counter to what you are thinking about Carr. May be the problem is what I say it is. Does this lend more crediance to the fact that the biggest problem is the coaching staff. Its some real interesting comments. Has Carr finally let the cat out of the bag, because he's tired of taking the heat. Is Carr Payton Manning, no but he's a lot better than what we're seeing. I keep saying something smells, but who am I to say that.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
What bothers me about this is that it seems to contradict those that think Carr is always audiblizing into the run. Seems like he's saying they only go run-run or pass-pass in the audible format. Also, says he has little choice and that perhaps Capers and Palmer are giving him no leave way at all.
See this is exactly what happens when you read everything with the intent of finding proof for a predetermined opinion. It doesn't say that when he audibles from one run play to another run play that he didn't have an option of audibling to a pass play. Same thing for the pass-pass audible--it doesn't say he didn't have a run option as well. No where does it say he has little choice. If anything the tea leaves from this statement contradict the "he isn't given an option to anything but a run crowd" and may indicate he goes to the line with a run and a pass option for each play.
Old 12-18-2004   #5
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 87056 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking

My point being

Is he tipping off whether its a run or pass by the way he audibles
Shouting out signals = run
Hand signals = pass

Of course we could always use dummy signals to cross them up.......couldn't we? Brilliant!

cac
Old 12-18-2004   #6
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee
My point being

Is he tipping off whether its a run or pass by the way he audibles
Shouting out signals = run
Hand signals = pass

Of course we could always use dummy signals to cross them up.......couldn't we? Brilliant!

cac
I would argue that the Texans system is not unique and probably on occassion uses some form of dummy calls and signals. while peyton is the most demostrative and does it more than other, check with me calls are not unique.

My general take is that even with all the attempts at deception etc. that 90% the time defenses and offense know what each are doing and the difference is in who blocks, tackles, runs, and catches better.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
What bothers me about this is that it seems to contradict those that think Carr Vinny, what is your take on this, because I think this runs counter to what you are thinking about Carr. May be the problem is what I say it is. Does this lend more crediance to the fact that the biggest problem is the coaching staff. Its some real interesting comments. Has Carr finally let the cat out of the bag, because he's tired of taking the heat. Is Carr Payton Manning, no but he's a lot better than what we're seeing. I keep saying something smells, but who am I to say that.
I find it very hard to blame Chris Palmer for everything because he was always successful with his quarterbacks everywhere he has been. What I see is a good scheme with lousy execution by multiple players in multiple games. This has been a tough year to watch. Every team in the NFL has them. Pittsburgh looked horrible last year (6-10) and they are 12-1 this year with a rookie QB. Every team in the NFL has players. They can't all win all the time.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read