Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-15-2004   #1
ComstockLode
Veteran

Default Why the Texans need Derrick Johnson

The Texans defense is the main weakness of this team in my opinion.

Domanick Davis has come around, and David Carr is just in a slump, playing against some great teams the past 3 games. I think our offense will improve in many areas next year. Obviously we need to improve the LT position also, but I feel like that can be done in free agency.

Our defense is missing one thing that makes any defense great. A playmaker.

Our secondary improves every game, and our defense gets better every game, except for: Run Defense and Sacks

Our Dline is old, but they arent supposed to make plays. They are supposed to take up blockers in the 3-4 scheme. The linebackers are the key. And our linebacker play has been garbage this year.

Sharper gets an abundance of tackles, but he is not a franchise linebacker. Wong is average. Babin is approaching average. Sharper is above average, and whoever we stick beside him is below average.

This makes for a very average defense, that needs a defensive playmaker. Having witnessed Derrick Johnson firsthand, he is an unbelievable defensive talent. He will run a 4.5 forty, has the confidence you need in a LB, but is a good person.

Reminds me of Andre Johnson on the offensive side of the ball, is Derrick Johnson on the Defensive side. Johnson would be a great pass rusher, and would make plays all over the field. He forces fumbles and is great in pass coverage.

Bottomline, I think he is the best player in this draft. That is obviously my opinon, but having met this 6'4" 235 pound beast that is as fast as most running backs is scary. He singlehandedly kept Texas in the OU with the plays he was making all over the field.

Wondering what yalls thoughts on this is. He would fit in with the Texans personality perfect. An intense player who is very low key off of the field.
ComstockLode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #2
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

He will be a top 5 player. If we end up 5-11 we could reasonably trade up and get him. If we win one more game, I don't see us having a reasonable shot at him.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #3
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
He will be a top 5 player. If we end up 5-11 we could reasonably trade up and get him. If we win one more game, I don't see us having a reasonable shot at him.

I agree. I think he'll go very high in the draft with multiple teams trying to move up to draft him. And if he has a killer Rose Bowl his stock will only increase.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Any chance we can just dredge up all the Sean Taylor posts from last year and search and replace for Derrick Johnson?

OK that was half a joke.

The one significant difference is that the cap arguments are much better for making such a move for a LB (in the top ten will get a contract among the highest paid LB's) than they are for a safety (in the top ten will get a contract almost $2 mil per year over the franchise tag number).
Old 12-15-2004   #5
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Any chance we can just dredge up all the Sean Taylor posts from last year and search and replace for Derrick Johnson?
LOL, thats the first thing that popped into my head...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004   #6
ComstockLode
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak

OK that was half a joke.

The one significant difference is that the cap arguments are much better for making such a move for a LB (in the top ten will get a contract among the highest paid LB's) than they are for a safety (in the top ten will get a contract almost $2 mil per year over the franchise tag number).
I understand that, I have been around this board along time, I just dont ever really see a reason to post, I am more of a college football fan to be honest. However, I am a huge Texans fan.
As many of you may have experienced, the NFL lost its luster to me when the oilers moved, so I became strictly a college football nut.

I am not saying its anywhere near negative if we dont move up. I thought Sean Taylor would have been great, but I dont think he fit our team, and we had more pressing needs than safety IMO. Dunta Robinson was a hit or miss, and it definately looks like a hit at this point. The reason I like DJ so much, because I think he is one of the only sure things in this years draft.

However, comparing a playmaking safety to a playmaking linebacker, is not a fair comparison. As great as Ed Reed has been this year, Would you rather have Ed Reed on your team over Ray Lewis? Obviously DJ is not Ray lewis, I am just pointing out that LB is a more important position.

Quote:
some draft productions have him slipping to around 15 because of his inability to take on blocks
That is DJ's main weakness, and I dont think it would be exposed as much in a 3-4 defense that is designed for the dlinemen to take up blocks, to free up the LBs. A similiar system is in place at Texas however run out of a 4-3/

Quote:
don't really know what that means. that is not the right comparison anyway. if you want to compare DJ to anyone on the miami team it would be McGahee. i think your comparison is that when ever a big play is made, DJ has something to do with it. when miami needed a big play they went to willis, maybe i'm wrong. remember andre was never the focus point of the offense, althought ken did start to look more to him during his junior season. also you are just stating the obvious by saying that we need DJ. i think everyone one the board has said that some way
I should clarify my statement. I was comparing DJ's and Andre's attitudes as opposed to there college careers. Derrick Johnson is a fiery player on the field, but is quiet, low key,and mild mannered off of it. Fitting into what the Texans want from their players.

Quote:
I agree, the chart was off last year--the trade I put was 1700 for the #5 for 1300 #10 and 500 #40. IMO that wouldn't have gotten it done. As Ogre said there were reports that the Skins wanted some obscene amount.
I dont think we should enter into an obscene trade, I was just making the statement, if it wasnt that obscene of a trade to the Texans, I think he is worth going for.

Sean Taylor has a chance of being a Roy Williams. Dunta Robinson has a chance at being a shutdown corner. This is a totally different scenario from this year.

There are no sure things to improve our offensive line immediately in this years draft which is the consensual biggest weakness of this team. Another Dlinemen would just be a rotating player that would replace one of the old guys eventually, that is only intended to take up blocks. Our corners are set, and there arent any incredible talents out there at safety.

So I assumed it could be worth a shot at going after a franchise linebacker, that can blitz the QB, run stop, and play well in pass coverage.
Old 12-17-2004   #7
ComstockLode
Veteran

I thought I should throw in some of his interviews/quotes/letters that suggest what a gracious guy DJ is.

Regarding the Bronko Nagurski award day:

"Today they have a full day planned for us. We got up bright and early for breakfast and then we went to speak to some high school kids about leadership. I really enjoyed having a chance to talk to the kids. I do that a lot in Austin and it's really rewarding to be able to share your experiences and to help them out. We are in such a great position to be role models for kids and I take that very seriously. After spending about an hour and a half with the kids it was off to the awards luncheon. Mark May from ESPN is the emcee tonight. He's someone everyone will recognize from Game Day. I enjoyed meeting him at lunch. After lunch we had a chance to give a little more back in visiting patients at a local children's hospital. The kids really lit up while we were there. That made us all feel great. I probably enjoyed that time more than anything else thus far.

Now it's time to get dressed up in my tux for the banquet. We have a press conference, the banquet and then the award. Hopefully the next time I write, it will be as the Bronko Nagurski Trophy winner.

Cross your fingers.

Hook 'em

D.J."

"After the luncheon, we went and spoke at the Burnett Bayland Home for Juveniles and tried to encourage them to be able to learn from their mistakes and build their character. We took pictures and signed autographs afterward and I enjoyed talking to a lot of them. I hope we were able to inspire them to work for their dreams.

From there, we went to a radio station to do an interview before going to a dinner reception with a lot of people from the Rotary Club of Houston and the Lombardi Committee. I met a lot of nice people, plus there was more picture taking and autograph signing before we came back to the hotel where I was glad to see my bed.

Today was a really special day. We had another pretty early wake up call at 7 a.m., but we got ready, had some breakfast and went to two children's hospitals where most of the kids were having cancer treatment. A lot of people say what we do inspires them, but I met so many young kids who have to fight each day, and they were the ones who really inspired me. All of us were just glad to be able to brighten their day. The Texas Children‚s Hospital even has its own little radio station and one of the kids interviewed us for the whole hospital to hear."

What was your favorite moment from the trip?
My favorite moment was having the opportunity to meet Dick Butkus. He's my idol. He's the best linebacker to ever play the game of football. For me to get a chance to him was remarkable. Also, getting to meet all of the kids at the hospitals on the trip was really special. They show what true courage and character really is.

Going to the awards was an experience that I will cherish for the rest of my life. It's something I will tell my kids and my grandkids and I will tell them that all of the awards I was up for were all very prestigious awards.

What was it like coming back after that long week?
The Lott Trophy ceremonies really gave me a chance to relax. I did that. So I was able to catch up on all my rest. My teammates welcomed me when I finally got back. They showed me a lot of appreciation. They said that they were honored to play with me and I am honored that they appreciate me.

What happens next?
Just doing a lot of work and getting ready for the bowl game. School is out but we have a lot of things to focus on, that's Michigan and our game plan.

What have you seen from the Michigan offense?
I've been really impressed with the way they get the ball to Braylon Edwards, the best receiver in the country, and they do it a lot.

What does Derrick Johnson want for Christmas? I want a new video game and a Rose Bowl win for The University of Texas.
Sponsored links
Old 12-15-2004   #8
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComstockLode
The Texans defense is the main weakness of this team in my opinion.
You must not have seen the Indy game Sunday.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #9
astrofan
Veteran

Comstock

you'll notice that none of these jokers are refuting your statements except for saying that our D is not a weakness
DJ would be great, but it costs quite a bit to move up
according to foolballcorner.bizland.com
1 overall is worth about 3000
2 overall is worth about 2600
3 overall is worth about 2200
4 overall is worth about 1800
5 overall is worth about 1700

if we pick between 10-15

10 1300
11 1250
12 1200
13 1150
14 1100
15 1050

that's a big gap to make up
I think he would be a perfect pick for us but in reality it would be tempting to trade down and get at least another first day pick
when I am looking through guys that are draft eligible, I realize that there are a bunch of very good football players out there
it would be tough to give up a shot at building up some deth two years in a row
astrofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #10
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

some draft productions have him slipping to around 15 because of his inability to take on blocks
Old 12-15-2004   #11
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72046 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

He will be a top 10 pick no doubt. I dont see him slipping past a team with the #10 pick, even if they have more pressing needs. While I would love to get him, I think I like the idea of droping down to around 20, and getting an extra 2nd.

1. Marcus Spears
2. Vernand Morency
2. Carlos Rogers

Oh yeah, that would be nice...*drool*
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #12
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd rather stay where we are in the draft and take Ahmad Brooks. JMO
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #13
texansfan88
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
He will be a top 10 pick no doubt. I dont see him slipping past a team with the #10 pick, even if they have more pressing needs. While I would love to get him, I think I like the idea of droping down to around 20, and getting an extra 2nd.

1. Marcus Spears
2. Vernand Morency
2. Carlos Rogers

Oh yeah, that would be nice...*drool*
why would you want Morency? He's a joke and is not well liked by his teammates, considered lazy, and doesn't have a good work ethic
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004   #14
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=ComstockLode]

Our defense is missing one thing that makes any defense great. A playmaker.

[quote]

Couldnt have said it better myself .
And there is no comarison between Sean Taylor and Derrick Johnson other than they are both great athlete's .
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read