Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-20-2008   #1
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Eric Winston and Owen Daniels

http://hou.scout.com/2/763583.html

What y'all think the Texans need to do to keep and make Winston and OD happy?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Eric Winston and Owen Daniels

Tight end Daniels is solid but I do not expect him to command much of an increase. As valuable as a receiving TE that can block is, Smith will remind OD where he was selected and say "we'll give you a decent deal and you can play here where you belong." OD will take the offer.

Winston is a bit different to me. He has eliminated any concern at RT and should be offered a pretty good increase to lock him in for another 4-5 years.
Old 06-20-2008   #3
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

agree about winston. you don't let him hit the market, give him what he deserves. as for daniels............... i like him, but on the cheap
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #4
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 56079 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
agree about winston. you don't let him hit the market, give him what he deserves. as for daniels............... i like him, but on the cheap
We're going to be around 35 million under the cap next off-season. That money, much of it, will go to :

re-signing Dunta, hopefully

and then extending these guys:
ODaniels
Pitts
Winston
Walter
Demeco

and maybe one or two others...

I don't see this organization being tight with its guys in order to spend in FA. I think the players that show ability and have the attitude Kubes is looking for, they'll be here for a long time. At least, that's my sense for how business is going to be done here.
dalemurphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #5
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

As much as we all like Owen Daniels, he's not a special or elite tight end by any means. The reason he looks so good to us is because pre-Daniels we had almost no production from the tight end position. Billy Miller was the only other notable receiving tight end in the history of our franchise. OD is a good player and he can be a very good player for us but I think there are other tight ends like him around the league. I don't think OD will ask and exorbitant amount of money, but if the Texans brass feels like he will then let him go. But I see OD as an integral part of our passing game the next few years unless we manage to get someone better than him.
Old 06-21-2008   #6
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 226908 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
As much as we all like Owen Daniels, he's not a special or elite tight end by any means. The reason he looks so good to us is because pre-Daniels we had almost no production from the tight end position. Billy Miller was the only other notable receiving tight end in the history of our franchise. OD is a good player and he can be a very good player for us but I think there are other tight ends like him around the league. I don't think OD will ask and exorbitant amount of money, but if the Texans brass feels like he will then let him go. But I see OD as an integral part of our passing game the next few years unless we manage to get someone better than him.
The dude had the 6th most yards of any TE last year. He also had the 6th most catches for a first down. The only guys better were Gonzalez, Witten, Winslow, Gates, and Cooley. Almost 150 more yards than Shockey and Dallas Clark. Of the TE's in the top 10 in yardage, only Gates and Cooley had more yards per catch.

Unfortunately, he had twice the number of fumbles as any of his nearest competitors.

If he can fix that fumbling issue, he's an elite TE.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #7
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
We're going to be around 35 million under the cap next off-season. That money, much of it, will go to :

re-signing Dunta, hopefully

and then extending these guys:
ODaniels
Pitts
Winston
Walter
Demeco

and maybe one or two others...

I don't see this organization being tight with its guys in order to spend in FA. I think the players that show ability and have the attitude Kubes is looking for, they'll be here for a long time. At least, that's my sense for how business is going to be done here.
agreed.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-21-2008   #8
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Tight end Daniels is solid but I do not expect him to command much of an increase. As valuable as a receiving TE that can block is, Smith will remind OD where he was selected and say "we'll give you a decent deal and you can play here where you belong." OD will take the offer.
What makes you think he would take the offer? Just because Rick selected him, when other team passed on him on the other round? So because he was selected in the 4th round, that should be his value throughout his career? He performing much better then a 4th round player should be.

It's like saying Derek Anderson should be getting paided like a 6th round QB, instead like a pro-bowl QB. Who cares about how they perform in the last couple of seasons, it only matters where they were select right?

You play on a high level so you can be rewarded and recognized on a high level. There are some players that take less money to stay with a team, but OD is still young and haven't gotten a big contract yet. And I see him listening to his agent first and Rick Smith second. I guaranteed another team will offer him much more then a "decent" contract if we don't. Every year a team spend a high draft pick on a TE that can recieve good as well as block, like you said of OD. So why spend a draft pick when you can get a FA like OD who is already proven? We would end up losing OD if we try to lowball him an offer like you think RS would do.

Last edited by J-Russ; 06-21-2008 at 07:46 AM.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 156418 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Both players have shown enough to resign them to their second deals here....I don't think this is much of an issue since I can't see the team letting either player walk, but it's hard to keep coming up with something to write about in the long off-season I guess.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008   #10
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Neither guy strikes me as the "I want a top end great wonderful deal right now" type of guys. I don't think other teams are going to want to sign them away for costly 2nd round draft picks or more. I trust that Rick Smith would be able to make all parties happy with a decent contract that won't completely hamstring us money wise.

I'm sure if we have a really good season next year and show potential to be a real team, these guys might want to stay for a little bit cheaper and help build a winning franchise.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008   #11
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Both players have shown enough to resign them to their second deals here....I don't think this is much of an issue since I can't see the team letting either player walk, but it's hard to keep coming up with something to write about in the long off-season I guess.
It is in both players interest to hit the open market after the '11 off season. If their representatives are worth damn, that is what will happen. Uncapped year comes along once every seventy years. To miss that would be beyond stupid.
Old 06-21-2008   #12
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Our FO will really have to earn their money when our 06 draft picks like DeMeco, Winston, and Daniels play out their rookie contracts. They drafted well, now they've gotta make a decision. Do they lock these guys in to long term deals with a hefty price tag attached to make sure they're here for the rest of their prime ala AJ? Or do they let them walk because they're so confident in their ability to draft and coach up their replacements ala the Pats model?

Personally, I say pay them!!!
Old 06-21-2008   #13
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 56079 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
It is in both players interest to hit the open market after the '11 off season. If their representatives are worth damn, that is what will happen. Uncapped year comes along once every seventy years. To miss that would be beyond stupid.

An NFL football player doesn't have the luxury of looking forward to a payday that is 3 or 4 years away. Too many things can happen and careers are too short.
dalemurphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #14
Polo

What do Eric Wiston and Owen Daniels need to do to make me happy ?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read