Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-12-2004   #1
rockabilly
Veteran

Rep Power: 433 rockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Dave Ragone

Looking at the Texans QB roster, I was wondering what everyone thought about Dave Ragone. I dont watch much college ball and dont know how good this guy really was in college, but apparently he is pretty good.

Anyway, I think David Carr has indeed shown some regression this 2nd half of the year. Maybe he is injured....who knows. Back to my statement. Sometimes, 1st draft picks do not end up being as good as teams would have hoped. I hope this is not the case here, but we have to look at it.

Looking at qbs like Roethlisburger and how they were not picked first, but are having way better seasons than the #1's are, how about giving Dave Ragone a chance to see if he has something. I dont think Tony Banks is an answer, but I would be really interested to see what happens if you plug in another qb.

Just a thought.
rockabilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004   #2
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Ragone started a game last year and played a bit on one or two others. His vervousness in the pocket makes Carr look like a staute. Of course, his OL at Louisville may have been the worse major college line that I have ever see. he was not impressive in pre-season and there have not been any rumblings that he is ready to assume the back-up job that he was drafted for.

I may as well get this line of thought started also. Right now Ragone is the poster boy of what could be wrong with BPA drafting as he is the most obvious best player despite need player picked under the Casserly administration.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004   #3
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Ragone started two games last season actually (Jax and Tampa Bay) and both were beat downs for the most part. As bad as our offense has looked at times (and I'm including 2002) I don't think it's ever looked as ineffective as it did during those two starts. He was so far from being ready to start an NFL game that "ready" wasn't even on the horizon. I'm not too sure that it's any closer today. Maybe a little bit.

Ragone is the answer to a question nobody asked. A wasted pick IMO that the Texans could have spent anywhere else on their team and gotten more value out of. He may indeed one day turn out to net the Texans something in trade or he may become a competent backup to David Carr but we didn't need to fill that need when he was chosen in 2003. We needed help everywhere else. Agree with ArlingtonTexan that Ragone was a Casserly mistake. Worst one yet.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004   #4
Cheroqui
Veteran

I'm sure someone will look for a nice lefty to be the #3QB Steve Young re-incarnate, sure why not? ... and it will probably be one of those things were he shines for someone else after you let him go.
Old 12-13-2004   #5
Cincinnatikid
Veteran

The guy may not have been that great in his two games last season, but remember this; he was a rookie learning a whole new offense in the NFL mind you. Also, if you forgot, the oline was terrible and that is why Carr was hurt, Banks was hurt, and i believe Ragone even got banged up when he was playing. Also, the guy was the best QB ever in Conference USA. He is one of the best quarterbacks ever at Louisville, maybe only after a guy named Johnny Unitas? So cut the guy some slack, becuase he is very good, but he was a rookie. And to be honest, even though he didnt show any superstar qualities, he didnt look any worse than Eli Manning does. And Carr has been on teh decline too.
Cincinnatikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004   #6
wiley2002
Veteran

How did I know that the "put in Ragone" threads were coming. Man I should be psychic or something. Maybe they should have put me on the Larry King Live show instead of that other wanna be. Cut Carr a little bit of slack here. He's playing with a few injuries still hurting him. Plus I trust him moreso than a QB who is still wet behind the ears.
wiley2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004   #7
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 122990 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Ragones college stats where pretty close to some baseball/football player that we traded away.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-13-2004   #8
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatikid
The guy may not have been that great in his two games last season, but remember this; he was a rookie learning a whole new offense in the NFL mind you. Also, if you forgot, the oline was terrible and that is why Carr was hurt, Banks was hurt, and i believe Ragone even got banged up when he was playing. Also, the guy was the best QB ever in Conference USA. He is one of the best quarterbacks ever at Louisville, maybe only after a guy named Johnny Unitas? So cut the guy some slack, becuase he is very good, but he was a rookie. And to be honest, even though he didnt show any superstar qualities, he didnt look any worse than Eli Manning does. And Carr has been on teh decline too.
Man don't get me wrong here. I don't have any sort of problem with Dave Ragone as a person or as a player. He really wasn't ready to play when it was handed to him and everyone knows that. I mean, your'e down to QB #3 so obviously things are getting desperate.

He could in time make somebody a very good quarterback. I am critical not of him as a person or player but of the Texans for picking him when they did in spite of needing help at many other positions. I just don't think he was the move the Texans should have made. Not knocking what he could become or anything like that, I just don't think he really belongs here.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004   #9
TexansNFL
Rookie

[Agree with ArlingtonTexan that Ragone was a Casserly mistake. Worst one yet.[/quote]

Wow...Ragone worse than Boselli...Young, Jopru, McKinney, Bradford, Carr???
TexansNFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004   #10
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansNFL
[Agree with ArlingtonTexan that Ragone was a Casserly mistake. Worst one yet.
Wow...Ragone worse than Boselli...Young, Jopru, McKinney, Bradford, Carr???[/quote]

i don't think i said he was the worse mistake, but if you wish to criticize BPA philosophy that Ragone has been a negative example of what can happen when you pick a position you don't need.

I could still be wrong and he proves an effective back-up QB, but my inital impression tell me no.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read