Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-26-2008   #1
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Sporting News says "Mario's a 'Hit'"

found this yesterday in TSN.com, Mario was at the top of the list of "hits".
Please delete if its a repeat...

Hits and misses from '07: defensive players

Quote:
Yesterday, I reviewed my offensive breakout players for the 2007 NFL season and tallied how many hits and misses I had. Today, let's look back at my defensive picks.

Mario Williams, DE, Houston Texans. His selection as the league's defensive player of the week in the opening game was a harbinger. Williams started all 16 games at right end, recorded 14 sacks (tied for third in the league) and was picked as a Pro Bowl alternate. Maybe the Texans knew what they were doing after all when they selected Williams instead of Reggie Bush with the No. 1 pick in the 2006 draft. Hit or miss: Hit.
I think its becoming fashionable to admit "they knew what they were doing after all..."

I need a "smug" smiley right now
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008   #2
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135993 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sporting News says "Mario's a 'Hit'"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I think its becoming fashionable to admit "they knew what they were doing after all..."
Everyone I speak to says they thought Mario was the right pick from the beginning. lol
Old 05-26-2008   #3
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

I will never forget how I was derided for supporting the pick of Mario Williams.

My wife bought me a Battle Red Mario Williams jersey for a Christmas present that first year, as I had told her that I wanted that more than anything else that year.

I wanted to show all of those Vince Young crybaby supporters that I was a Mario Williams fan.

I was angry at how they booed the pick of Mario Williams

Now those same individuals don't want to admit that they were wrong about Mario, instead they pretend that they were always for the Mario pick.

Well, I know who some of them are, and they might be able to fool some people, but they'll never be able to make me forget.
Old 05-26-2008   #4
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I was anti-bush and anti-young. I was actually more in favor of D'brickshaw Fergueson, but was supportive of Mario. I was aprehensive about his sporadic production though I loved his physical ability. I was happy with the pick, and would have been happy with D'brick as well at the time. Those were my two guys.
Old 05-26-2008   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

The only thing worse than the thousands of threads that criticized the Williams pick, are the thousands of "I told you so" posts we now have to endure.

i guess the bright side is that it means Williams worked out
Old 05-26-2008   #6
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
The only thing worse than the thousands of threads that criticized the Williams pick, are the thousands of "I told you so" posts we now have to endure.

No, this is not about enduring "I told you so"s.

If you said that you didn't like the Mario pick back then, admit that you were wrong. Don't come back here 3 years later, and say that you liked the pick from the beginning. That's pure BS.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008   #7
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post

(Please forgive this shameless promotion of another thread)
This is exactly why I started a thread asking folks to go on record with their second-guesses of this year's draft crop. If somebody does believe that, say, we should have taken Antoine Cason instead of Brown, then put it on the thread. If Cason turns out to be a Pro Bowler while Brown busts out, then all an "I told you so" need do is pull up that thread to demonstrate his superiority to the rest of us sloths.

On the flip side, if someone lacks the courage today to declare that a particular pick/decision was wrong, then we can safely presume he either supports completely the Texans' choices or did not know enough to question the picks. And when that poster starts crowing the "I told you so" tune down the road, we can unearth the thread and see if he really was telling us all along that the Texans made an incorrect pick.

Sorry, again, for the shill.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-26-2008   #8
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I just wish I did a screen print of the threads on this board a day after that 2006 draft, just to show what what some of you were saying then.

"I knew the Mario pick was the right one from the very beginning". ?????

Some of you "revisionist historians" ought to be jailed.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008   #9
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I just wish I did a screen print of the threads on this board a day after that 2006 draft, just to show what what some of you were saying then.

"I knew the Mario pick was the right one from the very beginning".

Seriously? Who cares any more. Williams is great, and hes a Texan, so thats even better.

All of you who supported Vince, but now support Williams, I say welcome aboard!
To all of you who supported Reggie, but now support Williams (me included) I say Go Texans!
To all of you who supported Williams and want to say "I told you so" I say who cares, we all cheer for the same team anyway!
Old 05-26-2008   #10
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 65244 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

"I knew the Mario pick was the right one from the very beginning". ?????

I didn't see the old draft threads in the draft section or archived, but if you REALLY want to relive that time - go back to around (currently) pages 300-315 in the Texans Talk section. I checked it out, and it was a good flashback of what was happening at that time. I'd link one - but there were about a zillion threads over and over and over (kudos to the mods that worked through that time).

Remember all the new trolls that infiltrated around that time - that's what your gonna see alot of. Funny thing is, quite a few that were leading the "OMG" threads - I don't see many of them posting here anymore. It's also around the same time of bringing on Sage and Demeco, among others, along with Casserly's last hurrah.

I'll admit - I was all into the Bush bowl and was thinking that would be the first pick, but I didn't go all psycho when we got Mario - I went the direction assuming "Kublak" (yeah, someone titled a thread spelled like that back around that same time) and his crew knew more what they were doing than Capers and since Casserly was on his way out....

Anyway - kudos to Mario. I like the players like that, keep your mouth shut - take what they say, and prove yourself by the actions on and off the field. Better for someone else to pat you on the back than to pat yourself... thanking teams that passed on you in the draft.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008   #11
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1158 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
I will never forget how I was derided for supporting the pick of Mario Williams.

My wife bought me a Battle Red Mario Williams jersey for a Christmas present that first year, as I had told her that I wanted that more than anything else that year.

I wanted to show all of those Vince Young crybaby supporters that I was a Mario Williams fan.

I was angry at how they booed the pick of Mario Williams

Now those same individuals don't want to admit that they were wrong about Mario, instead they pretend that they were always for the Mario pick.

Well, I know who some of them are, and they might be able to fool some people, but they'll never be able to make me forget.
Yeah i hear ya.....I know some in my section that still don't want to admit that Mario was the right pick.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008   #12
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 110481 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Everyone I speak to says they thought Mario was the right pick from the beginning. lol
I had someone tell me at the doc's office one day Demeco Williams was their favorite player , and they knew he was the right pick from the start . :elle:

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008   #13
Texaninlild
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4558 Texaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Texaninlild

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start On # 69 View Post
I had someone tell me at the doc's office one day Demeco Williams was their favorite player , and they knew he was the right pick from the start . :elle:
If you think about it.. Demeco Williams is a bad a******* He will lead the league in tackles and sacks almost every year.

Can I get a #59 Jersey with Williams on the back?? Sweeeettt

I am a Christian

Philippians 4:13
Texaninlild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #14
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Okay, we get it, the media is now backing off of what they said in 2006. In all seriousness though, what'd you expect from them?

can we please stop with the mario "i told u so" threads?
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #15
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 4615 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Okay, we get it, the media is now backing off of what they said in 2006. In all seriousness though, what'd you expect from them?

can we please stop with the mario "i told u so" threads?
I told u that there would be "I told u so" post in a Mario thread!!

Mario will have a monster year!!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read