Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk"
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk" Rival fans & lighthearted smack talk. Keep it light and leave the mean spirited stuff at home please.

Old 05-24-2008   #1
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default vy considered retirement

VINCE CONSIDERED RETIREMENT?
Posted by Mike Florio on May 23, 2008, 7:09 p.m. EDT
Wow, that Madden curse thing really is strong. Last year, it almost persuaded the guy featured on the cover of the game to retire.

Titans quarterback Vince Young tells Thomas George of NFL.com that Young considered quitting football after his rookie season.

“I really thought long and hard about it,” Young said. “There was so much going on with my family. It was crazy being an NFL quarterback. It wasn’t fun anymore. All of the fun was out of it. All of the excitement was gone. All I was doing was worrying about things. and throwing interceptions
“My teammates helped lift me out of it. I prayed really hard. And I began to focus on God’s calling for me. all that, and I got a really stupid tattoo of my own name on my back Play football. Be a role model.”

Drink tequila from the bottle in public. Take off your shirt. Drink some more tequila.

So what has changed in a year? “Now I can handle this kind of stuff without it making me want to give up football,” Young said. “I learned that 24/7 I’m representing the Titans and, especially, the kids all over I am trying to influence. I look at my man Michael Vick. I learned from that. I look at Pacman. I learned from that. I look at some troubles recently for rappers T.I. and Lil Wayne, guys I listen to. I learned from them. I’ve learned from my life. Vick, PacMan, and various rappers as sounding boards? Wow.
“You can get too much going on where you can’t control it anymore. No matter how much money you get, no matter how much comes your way, you have to control yourself. I know it’s up to me. I can’t get too big for my britches.” too late Captain Ego

Sure you can. All you have to do is take them off.

And then drink some more tequila.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/...ed-retirement/
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #2
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: vy considered retirement

At least he's honest. Sometimes people that you think have it all really aren't happy.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #3
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Nice to see him not hold back and be honest about it.
Old 05-24-2008   #4
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Boo ********* hoo! As I recall, he wasn't the one already labeled a bust before playing a single down such as MW was. You want to talk about pressure and being overwhelmed, try walking a mile in Mario's shoes. Also, he isn't the first player ever to come out of the hood and see the shootings and killings that are associated with it, so what makes him so special? Maybe I'm taking this out of context, but welcome to the real world buddy. We all have stress and pressure to perform to our capabilities, just not always in the same jobs. I think this story was written with the intentions of clearing the pictures of him shirtless and wasted at a party, so that his "role model" label isn't tarnished.

Just my
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

This is what happens when everything comes easy your whole life, and you finally make it to a level where things arent so simple.

A guy like VY has always been so athletic and gifted that he could single handedly take games over whenever he wanted. He cant do that in the NFL

Im not surprised he had a tough time, but its nice to see him open up about it. I have to say IM a little surprised his insides are so weak tho
Old 05-24-2008   #6
The Dream
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 The Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Vick, PacMan, and various rappers as sounding boards? Wow
he's talking about the trouble they got into and the lessons he learned from their mistakes........

Quote:
Boo ********* hoo! As I recall, he wasn't the one already labeled a bust before playing a single down such as MW was. You want to talk about pressure and being overwhelmed, try walking a mile in Mario's shoes. Also, he isn't the first player ever to come out of the hood and see the shootings and killings that are associated with it, so what makes him so special? Maybe I'm taking this out of context, but welcome to the real world buddy. We all have stress and pressure to perform to our capabilities, just not always in the same jobs. I think this story was written with the intentions of clearing the pictures of him shirtless and wasted at a party, so that his "role model" label isn't tarnished.
I think you're looking at this the wrong way. Vince seems like the type of person that knows that he's blessed (he's always saying it), he's just speaking of the adjustments he's had to make...........and I still don't know what the big deal is about him drinking?????? It's like you'll expect dude not to live a normal life, because he's a "role model"......it isn't like he's making commercials making statements such as "say yes to cocaine", lol. Seriously the avg. kid who watches his games also probably watches the beer adds in between each commercial break, and is probably around their father who is most likely cracking a brew or two..............those pictures aren't going to tarnish anything........

Last edited by The Dream; 05-24-2008 at 10:56 AM.
The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #7
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
At least he's honest. Sometimes people that you think have it all really aren't happy.
Honestly speaking I believe that he's a complete dumbass. This man will not amount to anything special as QB's go. In the college game he was a fierce competitor with excellent physical tools but in the NFL that just gets you in the door. I don't think that Vince Young has the mental toughness or the intellectual horsepower to excel at this position on this level.
Old 05-24-2008   #8
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Honestly speaking I believe that he's a complete dumbass. This man will not amount to anything special as QB's go. In the college game he was a fierce competitor with excellent physical tools but in the NFL that just gets you in the door. I don't think that Vince Young has the mental toughness or the intellectual horsepower to excel at this position on this level.
Remains to be seen. He's young and he has alot to learn. Can't judge after 2 years...if that's the window for determining the quality of an NFL QB's career than alot of great QB play would have been lost. You give them time and they either do well or they don't. Depends on the team as well. He had a great team at UT. Lots of variables here.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #9
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm glad he didn't retire. That would have forced the the Titans to draft a good quarterback

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008   #10
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104108 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected
Default VY considered retirement after rookie year

Here's the Link:

Pressure almost pushed Young out of NFL after one season

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPN
Vince Young is known for escaping pressure. The quarterback almost took that to extremes.

The Tennessee Titans 2006 Rookie of the Year told NFL.com in an interview posted on Monday that he considered retirement after his first season.

"I really thought long and hard about it," Young told the Web site. "There was so much going on with my family. It was crazy being an NFL quarterback. It wasn't fun anymore. All of the fun was out of it. All of the excitement was gone. All I was doing was worrying about things.

"My teammates helped lift me out of it. I prayed really hard. And I began to focus on God's calling for me. Play football. Be a role model."

Young was installed as the Titans starter in Week 4 of his rookie season and led Tennessee to an 8-8 record. The Titans barely missed making the playoffs, but Young was named to the Pro Bowl.

Last season, the Titans did make it to the playoffs, but Young threw all nine of the team's touchdown passes for the fewest of any team in the league. Nonetheless, he learned to live with the pressure of being an NFL quarterback.

He proved that to himself when he handled scrutiny that came his way when pictures of him drinking shirtless at a party showed up on the Internet.

"I have a stronger circle," Young told the Web site. "Now I can handle this kind of stuff without it making me want to give up football. I learned that 24/7 I'm representing the Titans and, especially, the kids all over I am trying to influence. I look at my man Michael Vick. I learned from that. I look at Pacman [Jones]. I learned from that. I look at some troubles recently for rappers T.I. and Lil Wayne, guys I listen to. I learned from them. I've learned from my life."
If the guy could barely handle the pressure in TEN what would have happened if he was a Texan? Pressure would have been 10x what it ever could be there. Dunno...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008   #11
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: VY considered retirement after rookie year

Reggie must be considering suicide.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008   #12
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 110127 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

No biggie, I've done it myself, but....http://texanstalk.com/forums/showthr...ght=retirement
Old 05-26-2008   #13
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Reggie must be considering suicide.
I'm sorry, but that's one of the funniest things I've read on this board. Classic.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008   #14
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 110127 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
I'm sorry, but that's one of the funniest things I've read on this board. Classic.
Couldn't agree more..lol.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk"
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read