Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-20-2008   #1
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Rick Smith's contract may get extended...

As per Chron.com...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/5792609.html

Okay... Don't we want to give him a little more time before reupping his contract? I'm not sure but I'd at least like to see how this draft has panned out. Technically, Smith has only been able to see how one draft of his panned out which was last year's. We don't even know how this years has panned out and we surprised some people with some of our picks so why can't we wait to see how those pan out before reupping his contract?

Seems silly to me. Let's give him two drafts and we'll go from there. Why re-up so early? I'm not campaigning against Smith. I am a huge fan of him. Just.. want to take a wait and see approach before setting up our future for the future which as already been altered.
Old 05-20-2008   #2
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith's contract may get extended...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
As per Chron.com...

Okay... Don't we want to give him a little more time before reupping his contract? I'm not sure but I'd at least like to see how this draft has panned out. Technically, Smith has only been able to see how one draft of his panned out which was last year's. We don't even know how this years has panned out and we surprised some people with some of our picks so why can't we wait to see how those pan out before reupping his contract?

Seems silly to me. Let's give him two drafts and we'll go from there. Why re-up so early? I'm not campaigning against Smith. I am a huge fan of him. Just.. want to take a wait and see approach before setting up our future for the future which as already been altered.

Actually Nitro, you bring up some valid points.

Just don't discount what he's done beyond the draft. Remember, what he's done with picking up FA acquisitions off of the street too...
Old 05-20-2008   #3
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why re-up so early?
It's not that early. Smith is in the final year of his contract.
Old 05-20-2008   #4
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
It's not that early. Smith is in the final year of his contract.
Is he? I thought he signed a three year contract. It's now year two?
Old 05-20-2008   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is he? I thought he signed a three year contract. It's now year two?
He signed a 3 year deal in 2006. 2008, this year, is the final year of the contract.
Old 05-20-2008   #6
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
He signed a 3 year deal in 2006. 2008, this year, is the final year of the contract.
Okay. I was thinking about this...

He signed with the Texans after the 2006 draft. Logically, I would think that his contract would be up after the 2009 draft.

Which is why I think we're maybe jumping the gun a little bit on the renegotiation.

Or are you certain that it expires at the end of 2008?
Old 05-20-2008   #7
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it'd be a smart move to extend it this summer.

I like his dedication, his demeanor, his approach to the draft and free agency, and how well it seems him and Kubiak work in tandem to build this organization from the ground up. Seems like one of those guys that when he gets this team built up to where it needs to be he has the forethought to make solid decisions down the road.

Another thing I'd like to get him signed long term is if you look at winning teams in the NFL usually you have ownership and front office stability.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-20-2008   #8
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
It should at least match up with Kubiak's contract, which expires after the 2010 season.
Old 05-26-2008   #9
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post

I like his dedication, his demeanor, his approach to the draft and free agency, and how well it seems him and Kubiak work in tandem to build this organization from the ground up. Seems like one of those guys that when he gets this team built up to where it needs to be he has the forethought to make solid decisions down the road.

Another thing I'd like to get him signed long term is if you look at winning teams in the NFL usually you have ownership and front office stability.
Golden I'm down with you on that. I think the guy has shown enuff already and we shouldn't wait. Nitro I understand what you are saying to but sometimes you just get a feeling.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #10
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Actually Nitro, you bring up some valid points.

Just don't discount what he's done beyond the draft. Remember, what he's done with picking up FA acquisitions off of the street too...
Sure but was that really him or was that a result of our team being as bad as it was? It wasn't really all that hard to come in off the street and make our roster at one time or another. Pains me to say this but we were a really bad football team at his inception.

If I were an FA off the street looking to try and get into the NFL, I'd be looking at the worst team in the NFL since my chances would be better of making the team. I really think that this season is Rick Smith's contract year. Let's play the season and see how it pans out. I really really don't want to extend his contract right now. I'm afraid to!

Again, I'm a big fan of Smith.
Old 05-20-2008   #11
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sure but was that really him or was that a result of our team being as bad as it was? It wasn't really all that hard to come in off the street and make our roster at one time or another. Pains me to say this but we were a really bad football team at his inception.

If I were an FA off the street looking to try and get into the NFL, I'd be looking at the worst team in the NFL since my chances would be better of making the team. I really think that this season is Rick Smith's contract year. Let's play the season and see how it pans out. I really really don't want to extend his contract right now. I'm afraid to!

Again, I'm a big fan of Smith.
riiiiiiight....
think about what you're saying...

This is the last year of Rick's deal. What message would waiting to extend it send?
If I were Rick, and Bob McNair wasn't interested in extending my soon-to-expire contract, it would indicate I might need to start putting feelers out to find another job in another city. If I'm going to be working for the Texans, then I need to know now so I can start preparing for the 2009 draft.

Or would you rather wait until after the college football season has come and gone?

And "afraid" of WHAT!?
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #12
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
riiiiiiight....
think about what you're saying...
My my.. Aren't you a bundle of joy here?

It's a message board? Isn't this where I come to get information from fellow fans? Seriously... work on your demeanor. Just because you're fifty something years old doesn't give you the right to mockingly dismiss who I'm a fan of. I'm a big fan of Rick Smith and you're not going to mock that, old man. Respect given is respect earned. You've earned nothing from me.

That being said...

I'm under the impression that he's in year two of his contract. At best, he's got one full year to go. Not seven months as Lucky implied. For me to even ask to see at least how our picks are panning out over camp and stuff isn't asking much on waiting before signing Smith to a blockbuster contract which is what I probably want to happen because I'm a huge fan of him. I just want to get a better sampling is all.

If his contract really is up at the end of the year then I can fully understand him being extended at this point in time.

Be nice.
Old 05-20-2008   #13
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My my.. Aren't you a bundle of joy here?
hey, you're the one who took offense where none was intended. Perhaps you shouldn't be so sensitive.

Quote:
It's a message board? Isn't this where I come to get information from fellow fans? Seriously... work on your demeanor. Just because you're fifty something years old doesn't give you the right to mockingly dismiss who I'm a fan of. I'm a big fan of Rick Smith and you're not going to mock that, old man.
That's what was so confusing about your initial post.

My point in asking you to think about what you were saying is this: waiting to resign a GM that, we both agree, has done a much better job than his predecessor - with much less to work with - is contradictory to being a "big fan".
[/quote]

Quote:
Respect given is respect earned. You've earned nothing from me.

That being said...
That's totally your call.

Quote:
I'm under the impression that he's in year two of his contract. At best, he's got one full year to go. Not seven months as Lucky implied. For me to even ask to see at least how our picks are panning out over camp and stuff isn't asking much on waiting before signing Smith to a blockbuster contract which is what I probably want to happen because I'm a huge fan of him. I just want to get a better sampling is all.
The draft isn't the whole picture. The fact that he managed to find some real F/A nuggets when our secondary was depleted and found Andre Davis, who ended up saving our bacon when A.J. went down. Also, Demps, Cochran, Maddox, Leach, were all hits from no where.

Those finds represent a sufficiently large data set for me to reward him with an extension.

Having said that, he hasn't been perfect. The Jordan Black signing, some would say the Ahman Green signing, were misses. We have yet to see how Jacque Reeves and Chaun Thompson will pan out.

Regarding how draft picks will turn out... Pundits say that as a general rule that it takes 2-3 years for a draft to bear real fruit. If you get your picks to significantly contribute, sooner than that, you had a helluva draft or your team sucked and all the old guard needed to go (see us after 2005 or KC this year). Yes, I know you said that, and I agree. The point here is, by the time you see what fruit his two drafts brought, Smith's contract will be up and he could be elsewhere.

So, on balance, the man has done good work. Give him an extension. There's no need to wait.

Quote:
If his contract really is up at the end of the year then I can fully understand him being extended at this point in time.
Fair enough

Quote:
Be nice.
I'm always nice.
....even when youngsters make a weak attempt at a slam by calling me "old man". I intend to get a lot older.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #14
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

Quote:

I think regardless of whether the contract ends this calender year or after the 09 draft (which I think is what Lucky was actually implying), it's still too early to see how the picks are actually going to pan out, Mario being the obvious example.

One draft also can't discount the team's upward swing and the work he's done in FA/trades. Can you deny the improvement in the talent level between 06 and now?
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #15
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
As per Chron.com...

Eh, it's just money.

Unlike player contracts that have cap consequences, if McNair some day decides he doesn't like Smith any more, he can fire him.

His money, he can do what he wants with it.

I do think it is a good signal to show to the world that he is an owner who values stability and likes to reward people with the organization.
Old 05-20-2008   #16
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why re-up so early?
The story says he's the youngest GM in the league and is also an African-American, which makes him a very hot commodity in the NFL. And McNair obviously likes him personally and feels comfortable with him by now,
so why not lock him up for a longer term before the competition grabs him ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #17
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 77873 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Pay the man, get it done.

I think stability goes along way in an organisation, the first two years of his contract shows the man has skills, lets lock those up.

Being young means he has great upside so lets lock him in on a nice solid contract.
Old 05-20-2008   #18
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
The story says he's the youngest GM in the league and is also an African-American, which makes him a very hot commodity in the NFL. And McNair obviously likes him personally and feels comfortable with him by now,
Agree with this all the way.
Old 05-20-2008   #19
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I don't care what his skin color is but I'm curious as to why his skin color would make him a hot commodity?
Old 05-20-2008   #20
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't care what his skin color is but I'm curious as to why his skin color would make him a hot commodity?
Because its a day and age where people arent happy anymore just ignoring the fact that out of 32 coaches, there are 4 african american. The number of GMs are even worse. That makes a young, sharp, African American GM with as much snap as Smith a big deal. I hate that the world is that way, but thats how it goes.

I agree with Texans CHick, it doesnt cost us anything against the cap, might as well lock him up. He has been great at ironing contracts out.

Last edited by BigBull17; 05-21-2008 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Cause posting drunk is a bad idea...
BigBull17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read