Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-05-2004   #1
MIGHTYTEX
Veteran

Default What was Capers thinking?

I was at the jets game and I was stunned and amazed that on the Texans first two drives went for it on 4th downs when it would have been possible to have Brown kick field goals. I understand that we may have been trying to take the jets out early but why not try a 43 and 47 yard field goal and get points and kick off to the jets and give them worse field position. Can anyone tell me why we didn't do that.
Old 12-05-2004   #2
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

they said something about brown injuring himself during warmups or something.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004   #3
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

they had an injury to chad stanley in the pregame according to the announcers. he came out later so maybe he was getting worked on. not quite sure but it was also in that range where you have to punt perfectly or kick a long field goal. i didnt think it was a huge factor in the game
Old 12-05-2004   #4
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIGHTYTEX
I was at the jets game and I was stunned and amazed that on the Texans first two drives went for it on 4th downs when it would have been possible to have Brown kick field goals. I understand that we may have been trying to take the jets out early but why not try a 43 and 47 yard field goal and get points and kick off to the jets and give them worse field position. Can anyone tell me why we didn't do that.
Those field goals would have been 53 and 57 yards. The wind in giants stadium is unpredictable. I was actually surprised he did not attempt to punt them deep and play field position. That said, the Jets only got 6 points out those tries.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004   #5
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

OK, question #2.

Why did we NOT call a timeout with 40 seconds in the first half and the Jets having to punt the ball. But then DID call a timout with a whopping 3 seconds left till halftime?
thegr8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004   #6
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan
OK, question #2.

Why did we NOT call a timeout with 40 seconds in the first half and the Jets having to punt the ball. But then DID call a timout with a whopping 3 seconds left till halftime?
that is where i am as clueless as you. i would have called the timeout immedialty following the end of the play. maybe capers didnt trust carr to go out there and run the offense effectively enough to put us in scoring position. he had just thrown a pick several plays earlier if im not mistaken.
Old 12-05-2004   #7
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

So Capers doesn't trust his entire offense to move the ball 40 yards in 40 seconds but he is going to give the Jets the opportunity to punt the ball and hope that JJ Moses runs it back for a TD?

Sorry I don't buy that one.

If your going to let the clock run out and go into the lockerroom, then do so. If you don't trust your team not to 'shoot themselves in the foot' then why load the gun and give them 3 seconds to do so.
thegr8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-05-2004   #8
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

im not sure, that was just my thoughts of what happened. i didnt even know JJ was going to try to run with it. the clock starts with the snap and all he had to do was fair catch and that was the half.
Old 12-05-2004   #9
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Thats merly one aspect of a terrible game by everybody. Somehow we always seem to fall on our faces after big wins and games that teams should be able "build" off of. We should have had loads of confidence after coming back from 18 points down. I think that was harder than playing through a badly ref'ed game so Im not buying that excuse. This team puzzles me greatly.
Reddevil63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read