Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-05-2004   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Was it Carr or the receivers that played bad?

I noticed that a lot of you are punkin Carr for his play today.

Well, in the game that I watched, I couldn't tell if was Carr or the receivers that deserved more of the "blame", if that is something that you want to lay on somebody.

I agree Carr didn't have one of his better games, but before you want to throw Carr into the trash, and start searching for QBs in the draft, () go back and see how many times Carr stood in the pocket waiting for Gaffney, Armstrong, Miller, and Bradford to get open, or at least run their correct routes while AJ is being doubled up.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004   #2
Lucky

Rep Power: 100513 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

The receivers were smothered by the Jets coverage. Everywhere they went, a Jet was waiting, lurking. So I'll ask yet a 3rd question; why do the opposing defenses always know what routes the Texan receivers are running?
Old 12-05-2004   #3
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
The receivers were smothered by the Jets coverage. Everywhere they went, a Jet was waiting, lurking. So I'll ask yet a 3rd question; why do the opposing defenses always know what routes the Texan receivers are running?
That's a fair question.

Something else needs mentioning. A common complaint by some of you is that Carr dumps it off to DD too much, and doesn't throw it enough to the receivers. Trying to force it into coverage will more than likely get you accused of "not playing well".

Just how "good" are our receivers? I wonder.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004   #4
LiveForTheGame
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to LiveForTheGame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
Anyways this was not even Palmer, Carr or Caper's fault. The momentum just switched to fast for a young team to handle.
I agree with that. It's going ot be this way for the pains and struggles of a young team.
LiveForTheGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004   #5
Txnpride
Veteran

Carr doesnt play defense.....neither does our defense LOL.The Jets havent played anyone worth a d#@%,(soft sched).they will fall in the first round....our Defense needs ALOT of work in the off-season. Hope they can fix it!!!
Txnpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004   #6
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txnpride
Carr doesnt play defense.....neither does our defense LOL.The Jets havent played anyone worth a d#@%,(soft sched).they will fall in the first round....our Defense needs ALOT of work in the off-season. Hope they can fix it!!!

haha well ya ever consider the Defense might have been getting a LITTLE tired ??? MAYBE if the offense could get a few first downs then the D would be rested and able to make the kind of plays they did in the first half. Some of you guys crack me up
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004   #7
Txnpride
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
haha well ya ever consider the Defense might have been getting a LITTLE tired ??? MAYBE if the offense could get a few first downs then the D would be rested and able to make the kind of plays they did in the first half. Some of you guys crack me up
I totally agree about the first downs,But our defense needs alot of work in the off-season...look at how many points we have given up???Thats nothing to crack up about.
Txnpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-08-2004   #8
HardCoreTxn
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to HardCoreTxn Send a message via MSN to HardCoreTxn Send a message via Yahoo to HardCoreTxn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus

Just how "good" are our receivers? I wonder.
IMO we have a great wr core, I think our problem is at TE, Im a Billy fan, but cmon, 1 td this season?!? let Armstrong play TE or something! what has Bruener done? yes they pass off to Dom alot because Carr has no TE for a saftey net whatsoever
HardCoreTxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 100513 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hetero doxy
i find it unseemly how carr's most strident defenders are so willing to blame DD and even AJ for carr's failures. i think DD is at least average as an NFL starting RB...
Davis is 21st in rushing yards, 31st in yards/carry among starting NFL backs. 21st & 31st are not average numbers.

Carr is 15th in passing rating, 9th in passing yards, 8th in yards/pass attempt. Those are at least average numbers.
Old 12-08-2004   #10
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Davis is 21st in rushing yards, 31st in yards/carry among starting NFL backs. 21st & 31st are not average numbers.
DD is ranked 18th in rushing yards and that is with Michael Vick ranked ahead of him. 17th just counting running backs. He also ranks in the top ten in yards per reception for a RB, 2nd in receptions for a RB, 14th in total touchdowns and 6th in rushing touchdowns.
Old 12-08-2004   #11
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 223543 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Davis is 21st in rushing yards, ...
To be fair on this one stat, DD missed one game entirely and played only part time in three other games in a four game stretch. Not surprising that he doesn't have the total yards.

As for the ypc, that has definitely been half and half--
DD and the OL. Through the mid part of the season DD was freaked by the fumble problem and hamstringed with injuries and did not run as he normally does, plus the OL sucked. The last couple of games, DD has looked close to last year's form but the OL has still sucked.
Old 12-05-2004   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How can you tell that if you weren't there? Didn't I just watch the same game? They didn't exactly show us the secondary. Andre Ware was stating that Carr missed open WR's. Was he just joking?

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004   #13
LiveForTheGame
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to LiveForTheGame

The whole offense just wasn't working. The Jets are a good team and just beat us today offensively and defensively. However, our guys didn't exactly play well today. Except for Dunta and AJ.
LiveForTheGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004   #14
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 657 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Just curious. Why can't you put mods/admin on ignore?
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Just curious. Why can't you put mods/admin on ignore?
Must be a default setting. I'll hook you up later when I adjust the settings.

Old 12-05-2004   #16
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
How can you tell that if you weren't there? Didn't I just watch the same game? They didn't exactly show us the secondary. Andre Ware was stating that Carr missed open WR's. Was he just joking?
Did Ware say that Carr missed an open receiver on every play? How many times exactly? I don't think that Texan receivers would be running free on every play and Carr would pick out the only guy who was covered. If so, we've got a conspiracy theory here.

It's not just this game. The big passing plays in the Titan game were from Carr buying time on the rollout and the receivers breaking off their routes. Not from the original routes. The Pack were all over the routes. Ditto the Broncos. Don't know about the Colts, because it was a fire drill in the backfield. Don't you even think it's a remote possibility that the Texans are either tipping their plays or the play design against the Cover 2 isn't working?
Old 12-05-2004   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

All I know is that guys like Billy Volek will toss 3 TD's on the Colts porus secondary but when we play them it's like Chinese arithmetic. Last year when I went to games Carr wasn't seeing open WR's and locked on to his first read way too much and I was really not impressed with his vision but I haven't been able to get to live games much this year. I just assume that it is more of the same.

Old 12-05-2004   #18
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

exactly. Seems that Carr locks in on a player of the game.. It runs in cycles... DD gets the bulk ..then AJ ... we just don't spread it out enough to open stuff up.
Even when we win we seem to make it easy on the defense because we cut the field in half for them (AJ's side and DD side)

Bradford/Gaffney has disappeared in this offense it seems.. I haven't looked at stats,so I might be proved wrong
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004   #19
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

carr did not play well today but that is not usually the case. i dont think he (or any of the offense) has played well against that type of defense yet.

davis looked pretty good in the open field, would like to see that more often. i think he can still be our featured back.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read