Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-29-2004   #1
Beastlyman2003
Veteran

Default Texan's 2005 Draft

This is a thread where you can come and post for all to see, who you think(or want) the Texans to draft on April 23 & 24.
Beastlyman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #2
Beastlyman2003
Veteran

THE Beast's WISHLIST:

1.) Marcus Spears/DE/LSU-would fix two problems(like last years drafting of Dunta Robinson). We could then put Robaire Smith at NT and Marcus Spears at RE.

2.) Barrett Ruud/ILB/Nebraska-Would replace meaningless Jay Forman next to Jamie Sharper

3A.)Justin Tuck/OLB/Notre Dame-Could be the answer to our pass rush woes. Notre Dames ALL TIME sack leader.

3B.)DeAngelo Williams/RB/Memphis-Underrated leading rusher in the nation. With good size(5-10/220) and speed(4.43). He could be a diamond in the rough and light a fire under DD, to keep him on track.
Beastlyman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #3
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

I dont think we have any GLARING needs, just some people who need to grow. With that being said there isnt one position we wouldnt draft if the right player is there. I think we are past the days of all offense or defense drafts and we simply go for best player available. Marcus Spears would definatly be a good pick as would Rod Wright if he was still around. Maybe Thomas Davis from Georia to give us a playmaking saftey.
Reddevil63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #4
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

I don't think Payne is all that bad at NT. Payne is coming back from injury and has been more productive than Smith. That being said what DT prospect is better than Payne? Not Hawthorne or Wright. I have watched the last few UT games and teams don't even double team Wright, they double team Dibbles.

Marcus Spears seems like he's pretty good, but who does he replace? Walker and Smith have big contracts.

I like Thomas Davis. He can play both safety positions and has also played linebacker in college. He's 230 lbs, hits hard, and never misses a tackle. We would have a pretty sweet competition between him and Earl. Also Coleman could play some CB in certain situations while Davis and Earl play safety.

I'm not sure there are any ILB that are worthy of a top 20 pick. Maybe in the 2nd or third round.

I don't know if we will pick a RB in the first either. Hopefully DD picks it up. If not then it's fair game.
Old 11-29-2004   #5
AndreJ
All Pro

I think if we got Marcus Spears he should play RE (Walker's Spot) Walker is old and if his contract is too big we should switch him to DT in the middle i wouldn't start him though i would keep a fresh rotation between him and Payne or all of the D-Lineman
Old 11-29-2004   #6
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Wouldnt mind Thomas Davis, Marlin Jackson, or Corey Webster in the first round, but all I know is that we need to select a top notch OL in one of the first 3 rounds the O-line has taken a step back this year.
Old 12-05-2004   #7
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2802 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

David carr has probowl written all over him and if you don't believe it just listen to all the espn anouncers. Oh and people have only had great things to say about our organization
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-05-2004   #8
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 259612 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

What hetero doxy is saying I think contains some truth. It's said in a very confrontational manner (bad hetero doxy! bad!) and I don't agree with him about all of it but there's some truth in there. I believe the Texans have the QB position in hand but they need a TE badly. They need a real, 100% two-way TE who can block and catch instead of the either-or guys they have now. I don't agree that the entire OL needs to be replaced but McKinney is a joke of a starting center. Two years ago when we had nobody McKinney was the best guy on the line. Now he's clearly the weakest link. We also need to add another DE who can push Walker. Yes, I'm glad we signed Gary Walker but no, that doesn't mean he can play like he has this season and draw that fat check. Someone behind him needs to be pushing him for playing time and, if he can't produce like he did in 2002 then they need to take his job away from him. I don't think we have a single defensive backup who could legitimately push the starter for his job right now and that's a problem. SS I think will be covered by Earl in the future so I disagree with hetero on that one.

And he's right about one other thing. Cleveland has ensured that no expansion team will ever again do the worst job ever of building itself. It's like they're in a league of their own.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004   #9
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Quote:
Originally Posted by hetero doxy
really? so you think steve mckinney is an nfl-caliber center, for instance?

the texans need bona fide NFL players at QB, TE, all of the OL, DE, and SS. they currently are playing very bad players there. if it wasn't for cleveland it would be safe to say the texans have done the worst job of building an expansion team in the history of the NFL.

trade the pick down and draft 2 OLs is my suggestion. i trust them to scout who they are.
Well apparently he is since hes the starter, and hes keeping Todd Washington behind him. Name a center coming out that is a first round talent? TE, they arent going to give up on Joppru. He will give us that double threat and be a starter for along time. DE, with the ones we use (Defensive Tackles), there is an article you may be interested in reading about how hard it is to judge talent there. You could get a future hall of famer in the 5th round, you never know. So I stand by my point that especially in this draft there is not clear cut DE/DT we should go after in the first round. SS, like I said right now there is a rookie who needs playing time and will be fine, not great but fine so I think that continues my point on no GLARING, key point there, needs, just a team that needs to grow up and UPGRADE at some positions. If you want an example of a position that has a glaring need, look at our FS position of two years ago. There isnt a single position on the field right now that is playing that bad. McKinney gets beat but not all of the time. I have seen him make some great blocks along with the beatings he takes.
Reddevil63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004   #10
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

there is something wrong when our overall defense is 29th in the league. (13th against run and 29th against the pass) as of yesterday.
and should be 16 sacks on the season... that just isn't getting it done.

1st round .. LB or CB/safety
2nd round TE (if Joppru isn't going to be ready) or DL If a RB slips RB
3rd round(2 picks there) DL or CB or OL

4th round-7th.. DL/Cb/wr
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004   #11
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

1st Round - Ahmad Brooks ILB
2nd Round - Gabe Watson NT
3rd Round - Kevin Everett TE
3rd Round - Eric Shelton/Frank Gore RB
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004   #12
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

The texans dont really have a glaring need, but we do have a few considerable needs. there are not any centers worth drafting and i think the texans will try to find one in free agency then waste a pick. with the recent injury and lackluster performence of jay foreman, a possible trade up would be an option to nab d johnson...yes i know they are fairly high on polk, but johnson is already better. if we cant get johnson, please people look at our team, marcus colman is not a FS!! Glen Earl is going to be the league average, nothing more. colman cant come up on a play because he will get burned, and his sure fire ability to tackle hasnt come through yet. the crop of safties is a little weak this year, but dont leave him at safty. address the line in FA, get center, and a de/dt. look at the safty out of georgia, anyone else think its a possibility or good idea to draft him.
Recap:
1. try for johnson, if unsuccesful draft safty
2. if unsuccesful above, draft lb, or d linemen
3. DE
3b.OL
4. fastest wr left, simply decoy for johnson, eventual replacement for bradford
5. rb insurance pollicy
6. D linemen
7. injured qb for practice squad
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004   #13
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Everyone seems to want a d linemen, and a linebacker. we arent doing that bad in the rushing defense. its passing defense we need. daunta robinson is here to stay! who do you see getting burned besides the rookie. i see marcus colmen. not just getting burned, but missing tackles, playing off his man too much, which is why they get the big play to start. i realize there are a lot of people to draft, but i would like to see us draft a big play safty, similar to sean taylor in ability not attitude. then i would like to see us maybe trade up to grab a d linemen. also do not touch cedric benson. he's not like ricky williams talent. but maybe pick a rb up on the second day. im just waiting for adrian peterson to be elegible. RECAP:
1a. big play safty
1b. passrush d linemen
3. another d linemen
4. possibly a rb...not benson
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004   #14
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
Everyone seems to want a d linemen, and a linebacker. we arent doing that bad in the rushing defense. its passing defense we need. daunta robinson is here to stay! who do you see getting burned besides the rookie. i see marcus colmen. not just getting burned, but missing tackles, playing off his man too much, which is why they get the big play to start. i realize there are a lot of people to draft, but i would like to see us draft a big play safty, similar to sean taylor in ability not attitude. then i would like to see us maybe trade up to grab a d linemen. also do not touch cedric benson. he's not like ricky williams talent. but maybe pick a rb up on the second day. im just waiting for adrian peterson to be elegible. RECAP:
1a. big play safty
1b. passrush d linemen
3. another d linemen
4. possibly a rb...not benson

Okay your basic premise is that the Texans rushing defense is not that bad...I disagree but don't feel like looking up the stats that will tell you very different.. I don't think that a Safety is the top need, but if one is there then i would consider drafting him.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
Okay your basic premise is that the Texans rushing defense is not that bad...I disagree but don't feel like looking up the stats that will tell you very different.. I don't think that a Safety is the top need, but if one is there then i would consider drafting him.
sounds like your in favor of BPA.

lets look at things from a long term perspective & how the Texans arrived at this point in time. To put a competitive team on the field from the beginning meant building through the expansion draft, with other teams older & expensive players. Now with three drafts under the Texans belts & on the cusp of a winning record the balanced building has to address its oldest parts. On the defensive side you have two lineman (Walker/re-signed & Payne unsigned) with Robaire Smith the future NT in waiting. From a drafting standpoint a fresh, large pair of legs are needed to keep the 3-4 a viable & effective defense going foward, hence Marcus Spears is #1 priority.

secondary also built through expansion with Coleman & Glenn is getting older and could get a look at but as we seen in last years drafting of Dunta Robinson CB and Glen Earl S the Texans have in place two young talented players. Another CB would make sense if Mr. Spears is gone as long as its one of the elite corners, like Webster. The Texans 2nd round pick then would have to address the defensive line that would fit the 3-4 scheme. Travis Johnson Florida State would require a trade-up similar to Babin last year but would add two very talented players for the Texans future.

last point regards the offense. The Texans have their franchise QB (Carr) & WR (AJ) but not RB. A couple of years ago when they drafted AJ the player the Texans where most fond of was Willis McGahee who tore his acl in the Hurricanes last game of the season. It took him a year to recover but look at whats hes done latley in Buffalo. Do the Texans have their franchise RB yet? Is Dominack, Wells or Hollings gonna be the man? Seems like a strong supporting cast which is what you need in the NFL but no Adrian Peterson or Willis McGahee. However Auburn has a pair of possible feature backs Carnell Williams & Ronnie Brown. Of the two it seems to me that Ronnie would be the perfect fit for the Texans. Once again if the Texans used the 1st pick on a RB I would be in favor of a trade up into the 1st round to select a premier defensive tackle like Travis Johnson.

recap: re-tool the defensive line Marcus Spears/Travis Johnson. Add another talented CB (Webster) or franchise RB (Brown) the later two options would require a trade up for Travis Johnson, while the Marcus Spears selection would not.
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004   #16
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Beerlover,

Basically I am BPA type guy in general as i don't wish to pass up really good players in order to pick a lesser quality need guy, but most of the time there is a bunch of guys rated closely when a team picks so then team needs come into play.

For me, I would like to see the following position addressed with the (as for now) 8 picks. I think that the team will address a couple in FA. (with who I can't even start to guess)

DL- not only 4 of the top 6 FA but youth with better quickness is need
ILB-address and develop before Sharper/Foremen become age/contract issue
TE- Even with Joppru healthy I think we need another block and catch guy
OT-the 3rd best tackle on the team plays OG
CB- always use another one, glenn with some age
C-tons of guys that can play the position none capable of pushing McKinney
RB-need to draft/sign a workhouse type if Caper insists on pounding the ball
S-only olny if there is a darn good one
WR-especially if is speed guy or KR or better both
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004   #17
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Ahmad Brooks
2. Gabriel Watson
3a. DeAngelo Williams
3b. Ronald Bartrell
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read