Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-02-2007   #1
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35954 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mario Williams

I have before been negative on Mario. But I always said that he had huge talent and he was young. His progress just gets better. He played a hell of a game today. He is getting more consistent and is playing with some passion. Hope he keeps it up.
stingray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #2
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 13 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam
Default Re: Mario Williams

I'll toast to that. Watching Mario Williams lay into Vince Young a time or two made watching the game much better than it should have been.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #3
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario probably played the best game out of any Texan today.

He has 4.5 sacks and 2 FF in the past 3 games. It's looking good for him.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #4
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149260 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Two and a half sacks on VY today. I said it when they chose him and I'll repeat it. We picked the right guy.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #5
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 50323 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Not sure if y'all saw in the game thread, but on 610 it noted that he holds the Texans record now for single season sacks at 8.5
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #6
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93882 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

His numbers look pretty good, I said on another thread that I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the Pro Bowl this year.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #7
YellerLotYeller
nice marmot

Rep Power: 188 YellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respected

He was the only bright spot today......
YellerLotYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-02-2007   #8
Austrian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2061 Austrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzO View Post
Not sure if y'all saw in the game thread, but on 610 it noted that he holds the Texans record now for single season sacks at 8.5
Yep previous record was held by Jeff Posey (2002) with 8 sacks.
Austrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #9
The Dream
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 The Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of Famer

mario is still "meh"...I'm not fooled by the numbers...most weeks he's non existent.....he got fortunate to be in the right place at the right time on a couple of plays today.....drafting him was still a mistake.........VY > Mario.
The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #10
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

Thats 4.5 sacks in the last three weeks. Thats Defensive player of the Month material right there. The one bright spot the last two weeks has been Mario. Glad to see that the Mario pickisnt beingas ridiculed around the nation anymore with Vince & Reggie having subpar sophomore seasons. I said that we wont know if this was the right pick for 3 to 5 years...
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #11
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 78716 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzO View Post
Thank God, now I can forget Jeff Posey's name.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #12
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 57076 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Call him a bust, and he'll sack you. Prety simple equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #13
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario was the right pick! He's just going to continue to get better and better. He's here for the long haul, every game, every D play!

Nice game today Mario!

Old 12-03-2007   #14
Hook'er
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 Hook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden cover
Exclamation The FIRST Texans to hit double digit sacks!

Super Mario!..............I think he has 9 & a half right now with 4 games to go.
Old 12-03-2007   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 184792 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'er View Post
Super Mario!..............I think he has 9 & a half right now with 4 games to go.
8.5 sacks
Old 12-03-2007   #16
Hook'er
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 Hook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden cover

Dang!...........still needs 1 & a half.
Old 12-03-2007   #17
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

I was originally big in the camp of drafting D'Brickashaw Ferguson (and every other big LT prospect since our inception) and considering the horrible horrible state our pass protection has been, I don't back down from that.

Mario Williams is awesome either way.
Old 09-08-2011   #18
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
NFLN was re-airing their Top 100 players show.

When showing DeMarcus Ware of the Cowboys, it's obvious that Ware is built different from Mario. Whereas Mario is tall and long, Ware is shorter and wider...Ware gets his pad level low and drives through or around the lineman, and has amazing instincts--Just a twist here, or a spin there, at seemingly a split-second of reaction and he's to the QB or the ball carrier.

Watching those clips of Ware, I can say that my eyes don't see those same qualities in Mario.

Before everybody jumps my ass and scolds me for daring to dog Mario and puff up Ware on here...just one thing: I think Mario is adequate. He's not bad, he's not decent. He's adequate. He should be great, though. And this preseason action we saw from him? I hope he flips a switch early in the reg season. I have serious doubts, personally.
Mario and Dwight freeney weren't the same type of de's either.

If you are expecting Mario to look like ware or freeney you will be disappointed. That's just not who he is.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011   #19
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Mario and Dwight freeney weren't the same type of de's either.

If you are expecting Mario to look like ware or freeney you will be disappointed. That's just not who he is.
I only expect a highly-touted DE, such as Mario, to produce and to do it on a consistent basis....not be quiet and invisible for several games and then run into a string of sacks against weak teams like the Rams or Raiders, etc.

Freeny and Ware are better DEs than Mario.

Put Ware on this Texans defense and he gets 127 sacks and is banned from the NFL for sexual assault on the field of play.

And in case somebody wants to scold me, again (and not pointing fingers at you, rey), let me say this: This defense, with a new d-coord and better secondary players and a Defense-heavy draft that produced JJ Watt, is outgrowing Mario Williams. Not entirely, obviously. I mean to say that this defense as a whole unit is capable of wreaking havoc with or without Mario.

We've practically had no other "good" defensive players outside of Mario Williams, Dunta Robinson, and DeMeco Ryans when he's not hurt or making "it's juts another game" comments. It's easy to understand why so many fans are still thinking Mario is just mislabeled by the haters, etc. Whatever. The guy is not "great," and I won't buy the argument from some who claim he's a top tier guy. He's close, but no cigar, IMO.
Old 09-08-2011   #20
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I only expect a highly-touted DE, such as Mario, to produce and to do it on a consistent basis....not be quiet and invisible for several games and then run into a string of sacks against weak teams like the Rams or Raiders, etc.

Freeny and Ware are better DEs than Mario.

Put Ware on this Texans defense and he gets 127 sacks and is banned from the NFL for sexual assault on the field of play.

And in case somebody wants to scold me, again (and not pointing fingers at you, rey), let me say this: This defense, with a new d-coord and better secondary players and a Defense-heavy draft that produced JJ Watt, is outgrowing Mario Williams. Not entirely, obviously. I mean to say that this defense as a whole unit is capable of wreaking havoc with or without Mario.

We've practically had no other "good" defensive players outside of Mario Williams, Dunta Robinson, and DeMeco Ryans when he's not hurt or making "it's juts another game" comments. It's easy to understand why so many fans are still thinking Mario is just mislabeled by the haters, etc. Whatever. The guy is not "great," and I won't buy the argument from some who claim he's a top tier guy. He's close, but no cigar, IMO.
What about the guys who voted him as one of the top 100 players of last year. They play him week-in/week-out. I guess they don't know what they're talking about either, huh?

The assessment from guys with first-hand data carry more weight than fans or talking heads who don't play.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read