Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-03-2004   #1
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan
Default Love this game and team , but.......

I have noticed that the younger generations coming up even though i am only 19 (20 in December yall remember) dont seem to appreciate the NFL ! Their is rarely anyone my age around where i live that watches the Texans or any team, and it kinda concerns me because i dont want this sport to die out our become less popular like baseball did over the last 40 years ! I have brainwashed my 2 lil bros 8 and 9 and they LOVE the Texans so i'm doing my part ! Just wondering if yall noticed the same thing ?!?!?!?

Last edited by TexansTrueFan; 11-04-2004 at 12:16 AM.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #2
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

i'm not talking about just the texans but i mean the NFL in general ! But i think the texans are gaining more fans slowly but surely,,,i mean in the last 2 weeks i have seen so many new people join this sight and its because (i think cause we're winning now) and that will get you support !
Old 11-04-2004   #3
phan1
All Pro

I think it's all relative. For example, friends that I hang out with all the time couldn't care less about football. The most important thing you've got to ask yourself is whether or not you see people in the stands when you go see a football game, and to my knowlege, there has been no shortage of people filling in the stands.

Don't worry, the NFL is still America's pasttime. Baseball is on a pretty big upswing (thanks to Red Sox and Yankees), but it still does not compare with the NFL.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #4
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont think football is a game for youngsters the way that baseball or soccer is.

I think the nuances of football are just too much for a young mind to really appreciate .. i know when I was younger.. i watched the superbowl and that was about it.. but id watch baseball 24/7.. and I played baseball as well, so that is probably why.

When I got older.. I learned to love football. I think alot of kids will take the same route I did.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #5
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13331 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

In my house we love to play baseball, but hate watching it. We get so happy when the World Series is over because it takes up to much of the Bottom Line on ESPN when I am trying to look at scores and it takes up to much space where football highlights could be.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #6
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Yeah i love to play all sports too especially baseball. but when football season is over all i watch is basketball (Rockets not looking to good off that mcgrady trade by the way) !!!! And i see the seats in the stand are still filled up, and i'd just like to see it stay that way !
Old 11-04-2004   #7
RunninRaven
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
I dont think football is a game for youngsters the way that baseball or soccer is.

I think the nuances of football are just too much for a young mind to really appreciate .. i know when I was younger.. i watched the superbowl and that was about it.. but id watch baseball 24/7.. and I played baseball as well, so that is probably why.

When I got older.. I learned to love football. I think alot of kids will take the same route I did.
This was the way things were with me when I was young as well. I didn't start getting into football until the Texans inception. When I was in high school and the Oilers were about, I knew of the general activities and success, but never watched games or cared to pay much attention. It wasn't until I was in college and the Texans showed up that I really became interested. Other than the big hits, it just isn't a game that appeals to the younger generation. But it has such a HUGE appeal to the older generations, that I don't really forsee it losing any large amount of popularity anytime soon.
RunninRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-04-2004   #8
Str8tupg42k1
Veteran

I started watching football at an early age. I started watching the Texans since day one but didnt pay much attention to the NFL before that. Mainly the only reason I started watching football is because of the Texans. I have my own house (renting) and every sunday i go to my garage and turn the tv on and start cheifin' watching the Texans play. My dream is to go to Reliant Stadium and watch them up live in person but because i have 2 daughters already and good seats are hard to find i cant do it so i just go to the garage and let them do what they do.
Str8tupg42k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #9
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13331 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I have been watching football since I was 3yrs old, ever since Billy White Shoes Johnson was returning kicks and punts and Earl was drafted by the Oilers.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #10
profan
Veteran

That's not the case where I live. My sons 13 years and 10 years and freinds are big time Texan/nfl fans. Both play football and really get pumped about the games. A junior high group had a dance and the attire for the evening was sport's wear. Out of around 400+- kids, 80%, both boys and girls wore Davis Carr jerseys. So, I'm not too concerned about the future fan base. It's there
profan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #11
HardCoreTxn
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to HardCoreTxn Send a message via MSN to HardCoreTxn Send a message via Yahoo to HardCoreTxn
Smile

As a kid, I was raised a Cowboy fan back in the days of Landry/Roger/Dorsett/Pearson/TooTall/Harvey Martin,etc...Then Earl stepped in the NFL and totally blew me away, I became a die hard Oiler fan until they left Houston, now the long wait is over and I do believe we have ourselves a contender in our 3rd year...Texan fans are the greatest in the NFL! Stay Proud and Yell LOUD!!!
!!!!GO TEXANS!!!!
HardCoreTxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004   #12
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Have no fear guys/gals! Take it from someone who has been in love with the game of football for over 50 years. I believe love for the game is passed on from one generation to another. I remember sitting on my Mom's knee and listening to football games on the radio. I took her to see her beloved Pasadena Eagles play football until the year she passed away, at age 79. Sundays were filled with church, fried chicken, and the NFL. Friday nights were reserved solely for high school football. She loved the game more than any man in my family, and I had three older brothers. Passion for the game comes from the heart, and knowledge of the game comes from watching. My Mom passed on the passion to me, and I passed it on to my girls. NOW, they are passing it on to their kids. My four grandkids have quickly become passionate TEXAN fans. They see it, live it, hear about it, and LOVE it! What a thrill it is when my 5y/o grandson comes over with his TEXAN shirt on, a big grin on his face, and gives me a "thumbs-up" sign after the TEXANS bring home a win. If you want your friends and loved ones to love the game of football, teach it to them, get them involved, and you will never have to watch a game alone. The NFL will NEVER die!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004   #13
TheTim5125
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TheTim5125

SheTexan that was very well put. I actually tear up a lil. Go Texans!!!!
Old 11-05-2004   #14
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

a tissue you anyone !?! ~~~ here ya go Tim ,,,was quite sad !!

I love this game to but for some reason i dont really like the NCAA and i dont know if its beacause of how they dont really have any playoffs are the stupid BCS rankings,,,but its not even close to the NFL in my opinion !

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read