Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-18-2004   #1
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man
Default Who starts at LG?

I heard and read that Washington wants the Center position (in fact he is listed as a center on the players page). Who starts at left guard? I would like to see them move Fred Weary over from the right side. He started two games on the right side for injured Wieqert. Plus that would give us two solid young lineman on the left side for years to come. I see the starters as followed.

LT- Pitts
LG- Weary
C- McKinney
RG- Wieqert
RT- Wade

What do you think?
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004   #2
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 28635 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Wasn't guard originally McKinney's position but he moved to center with the Texans?
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004   #3
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72046 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4toZ
Wasn't guard originally McKinney's position but he moved to center with the Texans?
We had 2 McKinneys. One a center, and one at guard. We dumped the guard.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004   #4
Lucky

Rep Power: 141386 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess the competition for the LG spot has been flushed out. Washington, Brown, & Weary. Although he was a positive step up from the guys on the year 1 line, Washington never impressed me as anything but a stopgap player. I thought Brown had an excellent training camp, but stumbled late in preseason and in the Saint game. Of course he may have been playing hurt in that game. Weary still has the stigma of being benched on the year 1 line. This has to be his best (and last?) chance at getting back to the starting lineup.

If the coaching staff determines that Wand is one of the top 5 O-linemen, could he move to guard? I remember when Joe Pendry was brought in as the interior OL coach, it was said that the Texans were changing to a zone or area type blocking scheme (can't find link). I would think the player who adapts best to this new scheme (however that plays out) would win the LG job.

We've never seen the Texans version of an area blocking scheme, but the Broncos employ this type and it may resemble theirs. I mentioned as Wand possibly being in the mix at LG because his mobility seems to fit into the area blocking scheme. Maybe move Wand to LG for a season and flip flop with Pitts at LT in '05? Or just stay with Pitts at LT and make Wand into a LG? Because of his athleticism, I expect Wand to make his way into the lineup somewhere in the near future.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Steve McKinney did come to the Texans as a guard...

From the Texans profile of him:

Quote:
successfully made the transition from guard to center his first season in Houston…
Old 05-18-2004   #6
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:
Originally Posted by V Man
I heard and read that Washington wants the Center position (in fact he is listed as a center on the players page). Who starts at left guard? I would like to see them move Fred Weary over from the right side. He started two games on the right side for injured Wieqert. Plus that would give us two solid young lineman on the left side for years to come. I see the starters as followed.

LT- Pitts
LG- Weary
C- McKinney
RG- Wieqert
RT- Wade

What do you think?
In all likelyness, Milford Brown will be the starting guard on the left side. He was the starter last year until he became injured. So he should be the starter again this year.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004   #7
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

How about:

LT- Wand
LG- Weary
C- Washington
RG- Wieqert
RT- Wade
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-18-2004   #8
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan
How about:

LT-
Wand
LG-
Weary
C-
Washington
RG-
Wieqert
RT-[indent]Wade
Got a thing for "W" don't you. Can be called the Wide Wall.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004   #9
done88
Veteran

Question Weary over Pitts ????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan
How about:

LT- Wand
LG- Weary
C- Washington
RG- Wieqert
RT- Wade
if anything it will be
LT- Wand
LG- Pitts
C- Mckinney
RG- Wieqert
RT- Wade
Pitts was drafted to be a guard and may be the best lineman on the team right now. When Wand is ready he will move to left guard.
Old 05-18-2004   #10
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72046 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

All W's. Kinda funny.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004   #11
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

I wouldnt mind Wand at guard, but I think Milford Brown wins the spots. Brown isnt at practice because of a death in the family.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...sfront/2575552

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004   #12
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default Get it together

If you fans think there is going to be major reconstruction on the o-line, you've lost it. This team came togehter late in the year, and that is what a line needs, chemistry. Pitts will be the starting left tackle, as he has gotten 100x better. Brown will be penciled back in at left guard, and the only other change will be Wade at RT to solidify a nasty presence on the line. This unit will be as good as any in the league, if we don't play musical lineman!
Old 05-19-2004   #13
Lucky

Rep Power: 141386 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I may have lost it

I don't think Dom Capers is afraid of moving guys around to field the best possible team. Wong from LOLB to ROLB. Coleman from RCB to FS. Hey, maybe Washington does beat out McKinney at center and McKinney moves to LG?

I don't know if Wand will emerge as one of the top 5 lineman or not. I thought that is was possible that if Wand came out of the offseason program much stronger, his agility would lend itself to prosper in a zone blocking scheme. That's a big if. But if so, I don't think the Texans would hesitate in finding him a place on the line. I believe the Texans will try any combination that will give them the best chance to win. I have not seen any evidence from them to suggest otherwise.

BTW, would completely altering your blocking scheme be considered "major reconstruction"?
Old 05-19-2004   #14
DominatorDavis
Veteran

the offensive line up, barring no injuries or surprise FA acquisitions, will be as follows:

LT Chester Pitts
LG Milford Brown
C Steve McKinney
RG Zach Weigert
RT Todd Wade

I would like to see Wand in there as well but he is still just too raw. In the time that he was on the playing field last year he looked lost and confused. I hope he develops.
DominatorDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004   #15
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominatorDavis
I would like to see Wand in there as well but he is still just too raw. In the time that he was on the playing field last year he looked lost and confused. I hope he develops.
I don't want to come off as jocking Wand, but he does have as much experience in NFL games as Milford Brown does. I'm not sure how Brown became such a savvy vet after 2 games. And I'm not sure if Seth would look any more lost and confused than Milford did in the Saints game. If Wand is too raw to play LG, the Texans should find another tackle, as well. Because Wand is just a Pitts injury away from protecting Carr's blindside.

Going back to my original point, no one has firmly established himself as the player to beat at LG. If there is a favorite, it would have to be Todd Washington who started 14 games in '03 and re-signed for a $500K bonus. But who really knows who will come to the forefront through mini camps, training camp, & the preseason games? To my knowledge, no one posting here has seen the Texans run even skeleton drills with the new blocking scheme. Anyone who states that Brown or any one else will be the LG is just speculating (I'm certainly not suggesting anything else). The Texans have a cadre of potential LGs, but none may be the answer. If they're loaded at anything at LG, it's with question marks.
Old 05-19-2004   #16
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
I don't want to come off as jocking Wand, but he does have as much experience in NFL games as Milford Brown does. I'm not sure how Brown became such a savvy vet after 2 games. And I'm not sure if Seth would look any more lost and confused than Milford did in the Saints game. If Wand is too raw to play LG, the Texans should find another tackle, as well. Because Wand is just a Pitts injury away from protecting Carr's blindside.

Going back to my original point, no one has firmly established himself as the player to beat at LG. If there is a favorite, it would have to be Todd Washington who started 14 games in '03 and re-signed for a $500K bonus. But who really knows who will come to the forefront through mini camps, training camp, & the preseason games? To my knowledge, no one posting here has seen the Texans run even skeleton drills with the new blocking scheme. Anyone who states that Brown or any one else will be the LG is just speculating (I'm certainly not suggesting anything else). The Texans have a cadre of potential LGs, but none may be the answer. If they're loaded at anything at LG, it's with question marks.
Just curious Lucky, but do you have a copy of the Saints game to watch? I don't, but I do remember that Brown was doing a pretty good job until he blew his knee out. His replacement did look a little lost if I remember correctly, and it was either Weary or Washington that replaced him. I think Brown went out pretty early, so I think you are mistaking one of the others for him.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominatorDavis
You aren't watching the same games I am watching. He was a surprisingly solid run blocker when I saw him play and didn't strike me as a player who looked "lost and confused".
Quote:
I don't want to come off as jocking Wand, but he does have as much If Wand is too raw to play LG, the Texans should find another tackle, as well. Because Wand is just a Pitts injury away from protecting Carr's blindside.
I don't understand what you can't see. Wand's strength is not what I would consider at "Guards" strength. Guards take on the bull-rushers. This is the weakest area of Wands game, and I'm sure you are aware of this. Surely you don't think the Guard and Tackle spots are just interchangeable do you? With Guards just being lesser Tackles? They have different skill sets, and Wand is clearly better suited at taking on a quicker edge guy than a stronger bull-rusher from what I have seen. I'm not sure I am following your logic.
Quote:
Going back to my original point, no one has firmly established himself as the player to beat at LG. If there is a favorite, it would have to be Todd Washington who started 14 games in '03 and re-signed for a $500K bonus.
Todd Washington is the LAST guy I want to see as our starting Guard. He was terrible in pass protection and when he had to move. He was great as long as he has a guy right in front of him, but if he needed to step to anyone he would whiff. If Washington is starting we have serious problems with Brown. Brown looked good to me last year. He was a powerful run blocker and his feet weren't stuck in cement like Washintons were.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read