Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-01-2004   #1
Andre_Johnson80
Veteran

Thumbs up Running Back

This team has some talent at RB with DD and JW but neither one of them is a gamebreaking running back. DD did well in his first year as a rookie but this year he hasn't done much to impress me or probably anyone else. He is still owed either 2-3 years on his contract. If any of you watch college football than you would know that there are a couple of big named backs coming up this year and next year. Cedric Benson of Texas is entering the Draft this year and he will be a good one but more important in 2 years Adrian Peterson of OU will be entering and if he gets any better than he is know he will be The Running back in the Draft in 2 years. The teams best bet is to just draft another back within the next two years if DD can't get the job done. Let me know your thoughts...
Andre_Johnson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004   #2
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

One name - Maurice Clarett j/k
He is going to Dallas anyway.

We need to park the Caddy at Reliant Stadium.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004   #3
Andre_Johnson80
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by V Man
One name - Maurice Clarett j/k
He is going to Dallas anyway.

We need to park the Caddy at Reliant Stadium.

Thank God your kidding I was like WHAT!!! Benson might go late in the draft this year like all the back did last draft if so we might be able to pick a good one up.
Old 11-01-2004   #4
phan1
All Pro

A RB in the draft would be an option, but I would prefer depth on our defense or even a solid O-lineman. DD, Wells, and Hollings can get the job done IMO.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004   #5
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

i'd prefer we draft mainly defense again next year too, but if Ronnie Brown is available in the 2nd round, we would be foolish to pass on him. either that or draft Kay Jay Harris somewhere in the mid-rounds. JMO though.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004   #6
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that by the end of the season the running game will come into it's own here and the desire for a big name franchise back will be pretty low on the list unless one falls to us.

Davis is going to get it going over the second half of the season once the line settles into it's run blocking scheme. Then he'll look like Davis of last season on a more regular basis and people will again be talking "Triplets" (whether it's really merited or not).

This is just a hiccup on the offensive side guys. The run blocking scheme and offensive line was really the only major thing we tinkered with this year on offense. We should be happy that they've gelled enough to pass protect well (mostly) at this point.
Old 11-01-2004   #7
astrofan
Veteran

I hate Oklahoma, but every week I wish the kid from Palestine winds up in Houston. If you don't watch OU, you owe it to youself to check Peterson out
astrofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-01-2004   #8
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

When i played football in huntsville we had to play agianst him in palestine and the guy is AWESOME i can brag and say i was run over by him once ,,,,i mean totally flatened out "it hurt".
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004   #9
Bill's/TexanFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre_Johnson80
This team has some talent at RB with DD and JW but neither one of them is a gamebreaking running back. DD did well in his first year as a rookie but this year he hasn't done much to impress me or probably anyone else. He is still owed either 2-3 years on his contract. If any of you watch college football than you would know that there are a couple of big named backs coming up this year and next year. Cedric Benson of Texas is entering the Draft this year and he will be a good one but more important in 2 years Adrian Peterson of OU will be entering and if he gets any better than he is know he will be The Running back in the Draft in 2 years. The teams best bet is to just draft another back within the next two years if DD can't get the job done. Let me know your thoughts...
Just keep in mind that in the 2002 draft Clinton Portis was sitting there for us with that 33 selection! Not selecting him bothered me then and it bothers me now!
Old 11-01-2004   #10
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

You guy's may be right about Edgerrin goin to Miami but the Dolts could still slap the franchise tag on him meaning he would stay at least one more year at an avg of the top five paid players at his positions salaries ( that would probably be less than his asking price).
I think he's on the downside of his carreer . He may have a couple productive years left but is most likely gonna ask for a 6+ year deal , then end up like Eddie George was at the begining of this season , over paid and over the hill (a couple seasons from now) .
The Dolts are gonne have cap problems for as far as the eye can see with Peytons big contract ..... they did it to themselves . Those type of contracts in a league with a cap are like wearing lead boots .
As far as playing in Miami , the dolphins are in sad shape , not so sure I'd leave a team with a chance (although the window of opportinity may be closing FAST) to win it all for a cellar dwellar (Miami will be bad for a couple seasons , they have more problems than one player can fix)
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153429 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill's/TexanFan
Just keep in mind that in the 2002 draft Clinton Portis was sitting there for us with that 33 selection! Not selecting him bothered me then and it bothers me now!
31 other teams passed him too. Most of them are over it by now. You really ought to let go one of these years. You post this comment about every 10 posts it seems.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004   #12
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217165 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I don't see it happening, but Shaun Alexander is a free agent after this season, and it would be nice to have a back with that body type, not to mention skill set.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004   #13
Bill's/TexanFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
31 other teams passed him too. Most of them are over it by now. You really ought to let go one of these years. You post this comment about every 10 posts it seems.
The fact that other teams in the NFL passed on Portis for some strange reason does not make me feel much better! I only care who WE missed out on! As for me mentioning it before...yep, I guilty of that because to me it's a big deal when opportunity is there and we blinked! Reality is sometimes harsh and the reality is we stepped over a factor back like Portis to select a "nice" WR like Gaffney.
Old 11-02-2004   #14
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill's/TexanFan
The fact that other teams in the NFL passed on Portis for some strange reason does not make me feel much better! I only care who WE missed out on! As for me mentioning it before...yep, I guilty of that because to me it's a big deal when opportunity is there and we blinked! Reality is sometimes harsh and the reality is we stepped over a factor back like Portis to select a "nice" WR like Gaffney.

Hind Sight is 20/20 .
There are things we all wish we could go back and change ..... unfortunately we cant .

Lets Learn from our mistakes and focus on the future .
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153429 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

There are hundreds of NFL stars picked in round 2 or 3, or 4 or 5, 6 or 7th rounds that teams passed on over the years that teams would go back and take if they had to do it over. Besides if you think Portis's production has declined at Washington what do you think it would have looked like our first season? It's not like we were a mature team and was one key back away from contention. We needed to fill and entire NFL roster and 22 starting positions. It's not like we have had bad drafts. I can criticize all 32 teams drafts by cherry picking names later and playing the shoulda, woulda, coulda game. There is no team that has an ideal draft every year. None. To take one pick and drone on endlessly about how big a mistake it was is ridiculous. Heck, it's been THREE years! Too bad it set this franchise and the other 30 teams that passed him back nearly 5 years. The entire NFL may not be able to overcome this. The Broncos have won all those Super Bowls with Portis and the Skins are well on their way to the crown because Clinton Portis is their feature back. The horror of passing on Portis continues to haunt us as well as the Browns, Lions, Patriots, Bills, Eagles, and...
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004   #16
Bill's/TexanFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
Hind Sight is 20/20 .
There are things we all wish we could go back and change ..... unfortunately we cant .

Lets Learn from our mistakes and focus on the future .
As for hind site being 20/20 there were some of us who thought on draft day 2002 it was 20/20 THEN as far as the Texan's selecting Clinton Portis! At the time some fan were asking what the heck do you know....adding that Charley Casserly & Company knew what they were doing. Also, some said....let's wait and see how it turns out. And now, two years later, people like yourself are saying...."let's learn from our mistakes and focus on the future." In layman terms....let's not discuss it! That's how G.M's keep their jobs...they are seldom held accountable for their mistakes.
In Buffalo some fan's are now starting to become "uneasy" with the play of ORT Mike Williams, U. Texas. Williams was the 4th player selected in the entire draft and thusfar his play has been average at best. When the heat was turned up on GM Tom Donahoe for selecting Williams one fan rushed to Donahoes defense by asking...."How was Tom to know that Mike Williams couldn't play?" All I could do was
Old 11-01-2004   #17
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre_Johnson80
If any of you watch college football than you would know that there are a couple of big named backs coming up this year and next year. Cedric Benson of Texas is entering the Draft this year and he will be a good one but more important in 2 years Adrian Peterson of OU will be entering and if he gets any better than he is know he will be The Running back in the Draft in 2 years. The teams best bet is to just draft another back within the next two years if DD can't get the job done. Let me know your thoughts...
Well. with Peterson, you'd have to have the TOP pick in the draft. With Benson, he'd probably be one of the top 10 picks in the draft.

Do you plan on the Texans being that bad of a football team to have that high of a pick? FORGET IT! The Texans will probably in the 20th pick or higher range this season, and even higher next season, and those players you mentioned will be long gone.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004   #18
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

well here's a thought what about travis henry...with mcgahee taking control of that team you know henry will be trade bait if the upcoming draft...but i don't know if i take a chance on a guy who has yet to stay healthy through a whole season...so maybe a 3rd round pick for him...but as for the draft i do see us drafting a back on the first day...the running game is so cretical for capers offense...i've yet to hear anyone mention cadillac williams...he's a sure first rounder if you ask me...way better than benson...but 3rd round material would be in jj arrington of cal and vernon morency(not sure on the spelling) from osu...both very capiable backs both excellent speed and size
Old 11-02-2004   #19
Andre_Johnson80
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
well here's a thought what about travis henry...with mcgahee taking control of that team you know henry will be trade bait if the upcoming draft...but i don't know if i take a chance on a guy who has yet to stay healthy through a whole season...so maybe a 3rd round pick for him...but as for the draft i do see us drafting a back on the first day...the running game is so cretical for capers offense...i've yet to hear anyone mention cadillac williams...he's a sure first rounder if you ask me...way better than benson...but 3rd round material would be in jj arrington of cal and vernon morency(not sure on the spelling) from osu...both very capiable backs both excellent speed and size
Vernon or Cadillac would both be very good picks if you can find them in the 3rd round, but back 2 years ago I didn't expect Lee Suggs and Chris Brown to still be available in the 3rd and 4th round but they where and look at them, they where steals.. Your right, I guess we should wait till the third round since we have two thirds....Unless DD starts to get on a roll then we can just forget about all of this.
Old 11-03-2004   #20
NETexan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
well here's a thought what about travis henry...with mcgahee taking control of that team you know henry will be trade bait if the upcoming draft...
Exactly what I was thinking.

I was actually looking at Carolina as another team who has two potential star backs splitting time, even though it has a lot to do with injuries. Stephan Davis is getting older, but still has plenty to offer to any team, and DeShaun Foster has flashed some evidence that he could one day be a team's anchor in the backfield.

Not ready to give up on DD though. He still looks good catching passes out of the backfield and has been nicked up a little bit. Hopefully it turn it on and this won't be as big an issue come the offseason.
NETexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read