Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-20-2004   #1
utshawn

Question Jonathan Wells or Domanick Davis

Any info on who is going to start?

Last I heard was Davis had a deep thigh bruise but haven't found any other info. I think Wells has performed pretty dang good and the Texans don't really lose anything when he is in.

TIA,

Just a fan of the game
Old 10-20-2004   #2
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Well i'm sure Davis will start,,,,, this bye week is perfect to get him and EVERYBODY else healthy. Davis is still a good back he just never got completely healthy after the kansas city game ! If we used him while he still wasnt a 100% i'm sure we'll use him against the Jags when he is !! He'll get the start !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004   #3
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
Davis is still a good back he just never got completely healthy after the kansas city game !
No running back in this league is 100% healthy so Davis needs to learn how to play with all those nagging injuries...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004   #4
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Or we could start Wells until he screws up royally and then put Davis in.
Old 10-20-2004   #5
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

come on man this guy is only making a couple million a year give the guy a break !!! Well let him get 100% healthy and see what he can do or if he just dont have it anymore,,,not like we have a choice anyways this is or bye week so he'll and the rest of the team will get healthy !
Old 10-20-2004   #6
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Ummmm...who's making a couple of million a year? Not Davis.
Old 10-20-2004   #7
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

He's on schedule to make about 1.2 in three years.

4th rounder, remember?
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-21-2004   #8
texan279
Hall of Fame

Question Wells vs. Davis

Ok, I know I will catch hell for this post, but it's just my opinion. IMO I think we should start Wells for awhile. Davis has 233 yards on 80 carries for an average of 2.9 yards per carry with 3 TD's and 4 fumbles. Wells has 218 yards on 59 carries for an average of 3.7 yards per carry with 2 TD's and 1 fumble. Also, when did our passing game really open up? After Davis was injured. IMO we should leave Wells in there until he royally screws up. Seems like Davis is either having problems with injuries or putting the ball on the ground, it seems like there is always something with him. I am beginning to wonder if he was a one hit wonder. And no, I am not a Davis hater, he is a member of this team just like the other 52 men and he contributes when he is healthy, I am just thinking about what is best for our team. Think about what our team has done since Davis was injured. Just wondering what you guys thoughts on this are.
Old 10-21-2004   #9
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

You're kidding yourself if you think Wells is a better back than Davis, and even I don't think Davis has what it takes to be a workhorse.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004   #10
texan279
Hall of Fame

I never said Wells was a better back. I am just saying keep Wells in until he screws up royally. Who is putting up a better performance so far this season?

Week 1 vs. Chargers
Davis 21 rushes 87 yards 4.1 average 2 TD 2 fumbles

Week 2 vs. Lions
Davis 25 rushes 78 yards 3.1 average 0 TD 2 fumbles

Week 3 vs. Kansas City
Davis 10 rushes 12 yards 1.2 average
Wells 10 rushes 37 yards 3.7 average

Week 4 vs. Raiders
Wells 26 rushes 105 yards 4.0 average 1 TD

Week 5 vs. Vikings
Davis 14 rushes 31 yards 2.2 average 1 TD

Week 6 vs. Titans
Wells 22 rushes 73 yards 3.3 average 1 TD

Last edited by texan279; 10-21-2004 at 02:15 AM.
texan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004   #11
Tayton
Veteran

Far too many variables to look at stats over 2 or three games and call Wells the better back. To me Wells will never be a starting caliber back in the NFL. The run blocking has come together over the last few games and have made holes that I could have run through. Wells still does not break near as many tackles as Davis. Don't know if it is because of the fumbles or the nagging injuries but Davis is not in very good form right now. If its the injuries then I am very concerned that he is just not very durable. He's missed alot of time over the last few years. If its the fumbles, then I think he will get over it and have a break out game soon.
Tayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 158703 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not calling Wells Stephen Davis, but it took Davis 3-4 years to develop into a top NFL back and they are really the same kind of runner (same body type). To say Wells won't develop further is selling him a bit short. Personally, I am not sure Wells will develop any further but I'm not willing to say he won't. All I know is right now we have 3 backs and none of them have stepped up and clearly taken the starting job. I'm sure this will play itself out as the year unfolds. You never know, Hollings may get over his inuries and snag the job. Davis may overcome his problems. We'll see.

Quote:
Stephen Davis first 6 years

Year Team G GS Att Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ FD
1996 Washington Redskins 12 0 23 139 6.0 39 2 1 7
1997 Washington Redskins 14 6 141 567 4.0 18 3 0 31
1998 Washington Redskins 16 12 34 109 3.2 12 0 0 6
1999 Washington Redskins 14 14 290 1405 4.8 76 17 7 84
2000 Washington Redskins 15 15 332 1318 4.0 50 11 5 71
2001 Washington Redskins 16 16 356 1432 4.0 32 5 8 74
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1440
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004   #13
brickmantexanfan
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to brickmantexanfan Send a message via Yahoo to brickmantexanfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Ok, I know I will catch hell for this post, but it's just my opinion. IMO I think we should start Wells for awhile. Davis has 233 yards on 80 carries for an average of 2.9 yards per carry with 3 TD's and 4 fumbles. Wells has 218 yards on 59 carries for an average of 3.7 yards per carry with 2 TD's and 1 fumble. Also, when did our passing game really open up? After Davis was injured. IMO we should leave Wells in there until he royally screws up. Seems like Davis is either having problems with injuries or putting the ball on the ground, it seems like there is always something with him. I am beginning to wonder if he was a one hit wonder. And no, I am not a Davis hater, he is a member of this team just like the other 52 men and he contributes when he is healthy, I am just thinking about what is best for our team. Think about what our team has done since Davis was injured. Just wondering what you guys thoughts on this are.

If we are not going to go with Davis until wells screws up then that spells disaster.Why not go (runningback by commitee) that way we can screw it all up and wind wondering what if.
We should start Davis and see if he is working ,I believe we have too many people watching Johnson to worry about which back we are going to start,but we still need a running game and no matter who we start at back there will be a man checking it out.I believe that Davis can beat that man.
Old 10-22-2004   #14
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
If we are not going to go with Davis until wells screws up then that spells disaster.Why not go (runningback by commitee) that way we can screw it all up and wind wondering what if.
How does it spell disaster? Compare their stats, compare our teams performance when Wells plays vs. Davis, compare our turnover ratio when Wells plays vs. Davis.

Game 1 vs. San Diego, Davis starts, 4 turnovers, Texans loss.
Game 2 vs. Detroit, Davis starts, 3 turnovers, Texans loss.
Game 3 vs. Kansas City, davis starts, plays first half, 1 turnover first half, Houston losing 7 to 6. Wells comes in second half, no turnovers, Houston wins 24-21.
Game 4 vs. Oakland, Wells starts, plays entire game, 1 turnover the entire game, Houston wins 30-17.
Game 5 vs. Minnesota, Davis starts, plays entire game, no turnovers, Texans lose.
Game 6 vs. Titans, Davis starts, plays 1st half, 2 turnovers 1st half, Houston up 13-10 halftime. Wells plays second half, no turnovers second half, Texans win.

Last edited by texan279; 10-22-2004 at 09:38 PM.
texan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004   #15
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
How does it spell disaster? Compare their stats, compare our teams performance when Wells plays vs. Davis, compare our turnover ratio when Wells plays vs. Davis.

Game 3 vs. Kansas City, davis starts, plays first half, 1 turnover first half, Houston losing 7 to 6. Wells comes in second half, no turnovers, Houston wins 24-21.
Game 4 vs. Oakland, Wells starts, plays entire game, 1 turnover the entire game, Houston wins 30-17.
Game 5 vs. Minnesota, Davis starts, plays entire game, no turnovers, Texans lose.
Game 6 vs. Titans, Davis starts, plays 1st half, 2 turnovers 1st half, Houston up 13-10 halftime. Wells plays second half, no turnovers second half, Texans win.

Ok if i may comment on the KC game it was wells who fumbled the ball and turned it over not davis !!!! Plus davis has had a sprang ankle that has not quite healed since the KC game ! He will still be the starter and will improve from his early performance !
Old 10-22-2004   #16
brickmantexanfan
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to brickmantexanfan Send a message via Yahoo to brickmantexanfan
Cool

Quote:

I will give you the turnovers in the first 2 games as the breakers for Houstons loss,but in Game 6 DD did not turn over the ball a win,and no one turned over the ball in game 5 a loss,and then again in week 3 DD did not turn over the ball a win(rushing game 5?)Carr 10 yds less than DD,week6 Wells prevailed nicely.
My point is don't associate DD as the prince of all the turnovers,and call that the reson for starting Wells,Wells is wonderful,But I haven't been convinced that last years Rookie of the year has shown us what he has yet.
Old 10-26-2004   #17
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

ok i see your point but in game 6 davis had nothing to do with the 2 turnovers,,,it was Carr so i dont think that can be put on davis,,,plus we still had the lead. Give him a break he'll be healthy this week for the jags game get 125 yars and this thread will disappear for ever with yall hoping noone finds it !!! Davis is in a slump he will come out of it and produce well for us !
Old 10-26-2004   #18
SESupergenius

Never in my wildest dream would I see a thread equating Wells to Davis, but hey, you can't argue the numbers. Wells is really playing good this year and it was hard for any of us to evaluate a player behind the line of 2002. I personally like the way Wells is used. As a running back, not as a reciever.
Old 11-01-2004   #19
eric138
Veteran

Rep Power: 985 eric138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respectederic138 is a quality contributor and well respected

Game 8 vs. Jaguars, Davis starts, 95 total yards, 2 fumbles, a kick return from Wells, Texans win 20-6

Bigger look at the game:

Wells, Rushing 4 for 2yrds, Receiving 2 for 7 yards, oh and Kick return 1 for 9 yards

DD, Rushing 22 for 56 yrds, Receiving 5 for 39 yards

Shoot, Chad Stanley rushed once for 3 yards more than Wells..

I'm not saying Wells sucks, but he cannot compare to DD.. I think his recent success was due to the opposing defense not expecting him..
eric138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004   #20
Mike Malone
Rookie

Default RB Quandry

I believe Jonathan Davis is the better choice in this game against this opponent. Although Davis is faster, he fumbles. The Texans must keep the Colts offense off of the field. A hard runner like Jonathan Wells is what is needed here. In addition, this will allow Davis one more week to heal and practice holding onto the football.
Mike Malone is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read