Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-19-2004   #1
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default Zone Blocking Scheme...

I know that Domanic Davis has had his share of injuries during this early season, but has it looked apparent to anyone that he is having the most trouble running with this scheme? I heard a statement from Terrell Davis about the way running backs have to use the scheme and it appears the Dominic is actually better running behind a regular scheme. The zone scheme is for backs the don't have the great cutback running style, letting the "regular" backs pick a hole, and go up into it!(I.E. Wells doing well with the scheme) But, with a good cutback runner such as DD, this may be taking away lanes that open up normally when the regular scheme takes place or defenders breakdown. DD has found himself too many times running up the gut, rather than in the open and making people miss! This style will continue to work for Wells, a power runner, but DD will continue to be hurt by this, unless the Texans passing game continues to exploit defenses, forcing a 3 or 4 man front.
Old 10-19-2004   #2
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 264272 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think that makes much sense pittbull. Starting in preseason and continuing through the San Diego game DD was THE cutback guy. Every time he came into the game the offense took on a completely different look and it was like "instant running game". The other backs never made the cutbacks but DD always found the seam and popped through for good yardage. Hollings was seemingly incapable of spotting the opening on the backside and Wells was simply too slow to the hole.

Starting in Detroit DD stopped running like that. I believe the answer is simply "four fumbles" and their effect on his game. He's not looking for the cracks like he was before. He's looking to make sure the ball doesn't pop out which in turn leads to him being about ten times less effective. In the meantime the other backs (or should I be saying "back" since Hollings has been out too) have started to get the hang of things.

DD will have a better second half of the season than he did first half and when our running game comes back around the Texans will find a whole other "gear" to shift into. They're good now but by the end of the season they'll be damned good.
Old 10-19-2004   #3
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think his ankle is totally healed either and that has a big effect on his cutback ability. Zone blocking schemes are kind to cut back runners and DD when healthy is a helluva cutback runner.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004   #4
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
I don't think his ankle is totally healed either and that has a big effect on his cutback ability. Zone blocking schemes are kind to cut back runners and DD when healthy is a helluva cutback runner.
I tend to agree with aj. He never seemed like he was fully healed after he injured his ankle in the Chiefs game. Hopefully the Bye week will allow him time to come back at 100%.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004   #5
SBTexans08
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to SBTexans08

I agree...it's not the scheme...it's the ankle and I'm sure he's affected psychologically because of the 4 fumbles. He'll get it together by the second half of the season just watch. This zone blocking scheme as the guys above have mentioned is perfect for Davis....he'll come through...just let his ankle heal up properly.
Old 10-19-2004   #6
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

yeah i tend to agree with all of you every since the chiefs game i dont think it ever fully healed and then he would try to play sundays and it would just aggrevate it more ,,,so this bye week will give his ankle a chance to heal so he can be as affective as possible against that hard nose jacksonville defense !!! He'll get back to his old style of running just give him a lil bit and atleast we know now we can have a back up come in a and be affective as well !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004   #7
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not saying that DD isn't good because I have been a big DD fan since his emergence but i am going to throw out a stat and see what yall think of it.

3 games where Wells played the majority of the game = 3 wins.

DD was a non factor in the Minn loss though but that really had more to do with having to pass to get back in the game.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-19-2004   #8
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Im not sure if its the fact he's not completely healed from the ankle injury , the zone blocking scheeme or the fact he's a bit tenative now because of the fumbles earlier in the season , whatever it is the Texans need him to get it going to put together a play-off run . J Wells has stepped in with a couple good games but he is no more than a back-up and Hollings wasnt even active against the Titanics.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 340250 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
3 games where Wells played the majority of the game = 3 wins.
Exactly!

I'm not getting down on DD, but I think J. Wells is finally coming into his own as RB.

IMO, I think we should start Wells and let DD heal.
Old 10-19-2004   #10
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the zone blocking scheme. it worked great at first.. not so great lately.. but give it time. Once our linemen are comfortable with it, it will improve our running game.

I dunno if they were being honest or not.. but our linemen said they prefer the zone blocking.. and DD says he loves it.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004   #11
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default Sorry,

Guys, I think DD is a good back, but I'm just following what an "expert" zone runner said. When DD is running as good as he did last year, behind the shceme that we had the past two seasons, why change? With his size and quickness, defenders cannot shoot gaps, due to them not being able to see him. In the zone scheme, defenses can.
Old 10-20-2004   #12
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Its just plain tough to run the ball with 8 in the box , simple as that .
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004   #13
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

how often do teams stack up the box against us? DD isn't that much of a threat.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004   #14
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

I say if we dont start seeing major improvment in uor running game than next season we throw out the zone blocking !! Why did we change something when it was our strength last season ? D.D is a good back but i just dont see zone blocking working for him "so much for his 2,000 yards huh"
Old 10-22-2004   #15
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittbull
Guys, I think DD is a good back, but I'm just following what an "expert" zone runner said. When DD is running as good as he did last year, behind the shceme that we had the past two seasons, why change? With his size and quickness, defenders cannot shoot gaps, due to them not being able to see him. In the zone scheme, defenses can.
I'm starting to think you're right about that. I just don't know, though, if this new scheme might work out well in the future or not. I don't see why they changed a good thing, but that's no excuse for all those fumbles in the first game, either.
HJam72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004   #16
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittbull
No offense to the expert, but every expert like the Denver coaches, the Texans line coach, etc. from the NFL that I have read has said that DD's cut-back ability is exactly what works best in the zone-blocking scheme. Remember--Shanahan was going to take DD within a few spots after us but we took him first.
Old 10-22-2004   #17
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
No offense to the expert, but every expert like the Denver coaches, the Texans line coach, etc. from the NFL that I have read has said that DD's cut-back ability is exactly what works best in the zone-blocking scheme. Remember--Shanahan was going to take DD within a few spots after us but we took him first.

but still he did great last year !!! So ya think we would of just stuck with the old way,,,i like facts and so far the facts are saying to me the scheme isnt working !!!!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read