Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 10-09-2004   #1
MrLizardTX
Veteran

Default Vince Young

Texas needs a quarterback. Vince Young is an athlete playing quarterback. NFL scouts project him as a receiver at the next level. He can't throw. He has no pocket presence. He's fast but doesn't run hard enough to be a running QB. Texas is thin at receiver anyway. They need to move Young outside and put Mock under center.
MrLizardTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004   #2
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

He has exactly the same body type as Roy Williams. Tall, all legs and lanky.

Too bad Roy isn't there anymore. Texas doesn't even try throwing to the receivers. Their game plan sucks.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004   #3
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Vince Young = Kordell Stewart
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004   #4
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Well he's a young guy and I think with some good coaching he could be very good. He has a goofy throwing motion though and it looks like he hasn't progressed at all from last year. Bad coaching I think.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004   #5
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLizardTX
NFL scouts project him as a receiver at the next level.
Actually, I see him as a Wing Back or maybe blocking back in the Single Wing.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004   #6
TexansCanes
All Pro

i said the same thing before the season and was ripped, particularly by tenxansfan88, where are you now. i give him another year and when spurrier gets their i think his passing game will improve and maybe turn into a real qb.
TexansCanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004   #7
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

I think all he needs is a little time to grow, and some receivers. He has great arm strength but needs to work on accuracy, thats all. Wait till his senoir year he could be a stud and a top pick.
Old 10-10-2004   #8
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

nah...with all respect to the texas longhorn organization young is not a QB...he could be one of the best option QB's in ncaa history but mack brown doesn't run the option...give this kid to frank solich and this team is a in the nation title game...texas needs to realize this move him to reciever now...and put chance mock in at QB...he has the arm to make UT a two threat offensive team
Old 10-10-2004   #9
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

There are true freshmen and true sophomores all across the country that are exhibiting a ton more accuracy than Young right now. And they're not throwing to future first round WRs either.

If you bounce the ball 4 feet in front of your target, it doesn't matter who the target is...he's not going to catch it.

Sad thing is, Greg Davis has apparently been working on his mechanics. But if you pull up video clips from Young when he was in high school, his mechanics were actually better then.

Only way he's able to correct this is if Texas hires away Norm Chow from USC and makes him their head coach. Under Mack Brown and Greg Davis however, Young will fall in a long line of underdeveloped talent.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004   #10
LiveForTheGame
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to LiveForTheGame

I've said it for two years now. You can't take a QB who has had great success running the football and turn him into a great or very good passing QB. If you do, you lose their ability to run as well as they used to. Young will not be a top QB and will not develop under Mack Brown. He might be able to develop in the NFL but I don't think so. Don't get me wrong- Vince Young is one of the greatest athletes I've seen on the college level and has fantastic abilities, but he isn't a QB. His mind set and instincts aren't that of a passing QB.
LiveForTheGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004   #11
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Reggie McNeal > Vince Young said it all along and UT fans ripped me apart for it. Lets just say theyve started to quite down. He beat OU as a true freshman and Young hasnt been able to do it as a Fr. or So..
Reddevil63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004   #12
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevil63
Reggie McNeal > Vince Young said it all along and UT fans ripped me apart for it. Lets just say theyve started to quite down. He beat OU as a true freshman and Young hasnt been able to do it as a Fr. or So..
Reggie McNeil is a QB who is a great athlete, not a great athlete who is trying to play QB. IMO, McNeil will play in the NFL. I will listen to the bad coaching some, but Young does not appear to have a great deal of skill and instinct as a passer.

I think I trust the QB at ARkansas, same tall body type with very good speed (help me with name someone), more throwing the ball more than vince Young.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004   #13
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
I think I trust the QB at ARkansas, same tall body type with very good speed (help me with name someone), more throwing the ball more than vince Young.
Matt Jones
Old 10-11-2004   #14
LiveForTheGame
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to LiveForTheGame

Bowden has lost to Miami for the last 5 games...should he be fired? Mack Brown has UT in the top 10-15 every year. He just hasn't been able to beat OU. I'm not sure you fire a coach for not being able to beat one team when he has the team having a great season year in and year out...but I htink there is a better coach out there for UT.
LiveForTheGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004   #15
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveForTheGame
Bowden has lost to Miami for the last 5 games...should he be fired? Mack Brown has UT in the top 10-15 every year. He just hasn't been able to beat OU. I'm not sure you fire a coach for not being able to beat one team when he has the team having a great season year in and year out...but I htink there is a better coach out there for UT.
One who knows what an option is... Im not bashing Vince Young Im just saying thats the style of offense that needs to be run with him in there. I think we all agree his arm and decision making arent up to par so they need to exploit his greatest stregnth, his legs.
Reddevil63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004   #16
GoBeta

Default Mack Brown need to go

His firing is long overdue.
Old 10-13-2004   #17
TexansCanes
All Pro

Quote:
actually that is not true...Mack Brown has beaten OU while at Texas (that being said....I am NOT a Greg Davis fan...and I definitely think some changes need to be made)
my bad, i wasn't sure on how long he had been their
TexansCanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004   #18
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Mack Brown is 2-5 against OU. He is 1-5 against Stoops. In 1999, the Horns were down 16-0 or 17-0 then ripped off 40-something unanswered points. We won convincingly. That was Brown's only win head-to-head against Stoops. He hasn't won again since.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004   #19
LonghornBabe
Tubin' Chic

Rep Power: 573 LonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LonghornBabe Send a message via Yahoo to LonghornBabe

Ok..I couldn't help myself...I thought this was cute. I actually don't think Greg Davis lost the game last weekend....(i think that is the first time I have ever said that).....anyway...I just learned how to post pics and thought this was funny!

Kimberly
Check out my blog at kimberlyskakery.com
LonghornBabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read