Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-27-2004   #1
texans3422

Default Whitlock of KC Star: "Worst team in the league"?

What's this guy smoking? How about Arizona or San Fran?

If Vermeil's Chiefs can't figure out a way to beat Houston, quite possibly the worst team in the league, it's difficult to imagine KC having much success against Ray and Jamal Lewis.

Houston quarterback David Carr tried to hand this game to the Chiefs. He threw wildly. He panicked in the pocket. He wasted timeouts. Carr's coach, Dom Capers, had so little confidence in his QB that he drained the clock and settled for a game-winning 49-yard field goal rather than risk Carr making a mistake.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...9768150.htm?1c

Last edited by texans3422; 09-27-2004 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-27-2004   #2
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 114345 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

it was hard to argue before this week. we have yet to really prove ourselves and we opened this season with losses to the chargers & lions. two teams who also can be considered the worst. but we're not the ones that are 0-3 so we're not as bad as the worst defense in football (kc) apparently.
Old 09-27-2004   #3
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 264272 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think this guy's smoking anything. I think he's right. We are quite possibly the worst team in the league. Keep in mind that the season is exactly 3 games old when you think about that. In week 1 the Chargers were unanimously chosen "Worst team in the league" and we lost to them AND looked bad doing it. Then we followed that up with a lousy showing at Detroit. We didn't exactly light the world on fire in K.C. either.

The Texans are candidates for WTITL until they prove otherwise just like several other teams that got off to a slow start. Getting to 2-2 would be a step in the right direction. If we can pull even then that would probably take us out of the running for now.

That whole "Respect" thing that gets tossed up here weekly isn't something we deserve yet. Hopefully soon it will be.
Old 09-27-2004   #4
done88
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
I don't think this guy's smoking anything. I think he's right. We are quite possibly the worst team in the league. Keep in mind that the season is exactly 3 games old when you think about that. In week 1 the Chargers were unanimously chosen "Worst team in the league" and we lost to them AND looked bad doing it. Then we followed that up with a lousy showing at Detroit. We didn't exactly light the world on fire in K.C. either.

The Texans are candidates for WTITL until they prove otherwise just like several other teams that got off to a slow start. Getting to 2-2 would be a step in the right direction. If we can pull even then that would probably take us out of the running for now.

That whole "Respect" thing that gets tossed up here weekly isn't something we deserve yet. Hopefully soon it will be.
The truth is we are 1-2 and there are teams that are 0-3. Therefore we are not in the running for the worst team and neither is any other team with a win. The Chiefs can complain all they want two but stats wise going into that game the offense was top 10 and the defense was not far behind. The Texans lost the turnover battle and therefore lost the early games. This time turnovers were even and they won. The better team won yesterday's game and the Texans will continue to win games where they win the turnover battle. Its the teams that win the turnover battle and still lose that are bad. The Jags will come down the Titans will win a few more and the Texans will end up 8-8.

Go somewhere else to bash the Texans. As a moderator you have a responsablity not to bash them here.
Old 09-27-2004   #5
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Worst team in the league: Miami Dolphins
Franchise in chaos: Miami Dolphins
Quarterback controversy: Miami Dolphins
Shady Owner: Miami Dolphins
Old 09-27-2004   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by done88

Go somewhere else to bash the Texans. As a moderator you have a responsablity not to bash them here.
Moderators don't give up their right to state their opinion. This isn't a cheer-club. Mods are simply members of this forum as you are. They just help keep the peace and enforce the rules. We are all equals here.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004   #7
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 264272 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Thank You Vinny.

Done88 I'm not bashing the Texans. I'm saying that they:

a) Have not played well in the three games we've seen to date. Is there anyone here who cares to debate this?

b) Were in fact beaten by the team that was universally proclaimed to be the worst team in the league prior to the start of the 2004 season. Again, would anyone like to discuss whether or not this actually happened with an eye towards taking the "no it did not happen" side? I'm pretty sure I saw the Chargers beat the Texans in week 1.

c) Did not charge out to a 3-0 start by defeating all of their opponents by a 20+ point margin. Doing something like this would put them in the running for "Best team in the league" right now. As it stands they (along with a lot of other teams) are under .500 and so they are at the very least a candidate for the worst team in the league title.

Now item "c" completely misses the point which is that after 3 games it's pretty hard to decide that one team is the "Worst team in the league". You haven't played enough football yet for someone to have THE very worst record in football or be statistically all that far behind. The Jaguars might be the worst scoring offense in football but they're 3-0 right now so only scoring 35 points in their first 3 games doesn't tell you much about them.
Old 09-28-2004   #8
done88
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Moderators don't give up their right to state their opinion. This isn't a cheer-club. Mods are simply members of this forum as you are. They just help keep the peace and enforce the rules. We are all equals here.
Everyone on this board has a right to their own opinion and the fact that fans here are trying to enjoy the win for a little while and don't need the board moderators raining on their parade is my opinion. If you have to take shots at least wait a couple of days. This "we are a moderator group" so we can gang up on a user is for the birds also. The fact of the matter is my argument is that unless they have the worst record in football then they are not the worst team in football and if the fans here are going to attack the Texans after a win then its going to be hard for this team to ever be successful.
Old 09-27-2004   #9
J-Man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by done88

Done88...that's an untrue statement and shot at a guy who is definetly Pro-Texan and calls them like he sees them. Hervoyel (or any moderator) is perfectly in bounds by making those statments, now I don't necessarily agree with all of them...BUT he is entitled to those opinons.

Like I said, I don't know that I agree with it, but he does back up his statements with valid points.

Eat 'em Up, KATS!
J-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004   #10
Keldar
Veteran

[quote=texans3422]Houston quarterback David Carr tried to hand this game to the Chiefs. He threw wildly. He panicked in the pocket. He wasted timeouts. Carr's coach, Dom Capers, had so little confidence in his QB that he drained the clock and settled for a game-winning 49-yard field goal rather than risk Carr making a mistake.

Unfortunately, this is close to being the brutal truth.

Again though, memo to O-line........PROTECT YOUR QB!!!!!!!!
Keldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004   #11
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 56442 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

KC has Baltimore, Atlanta, Jags, and Colts in their next 4 games. They've got a good shot at being 0-7 going into week 9 against the Bucs.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004   #12
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Chiefs will beat both the Falcons and the Jags. Neither team scores much, the Chiefs are much better offensively and I look for them to rebound.
WWJD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004   #13
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

I think any team with the kicker we have is not going to chance anything but a field goal with seconds remaining on the clock and you can win the ball game by kicking. That is the way NFL football is played. You don't give the opposition a chance. I thought Carr played very well, and so did our team, in the 4th Qtr. His comments are a bunch of sour grapes. Carr and Houston are just beginning to may be put it together. No comments about AJ, Gaffny and Armstrong. Yea, we didn't run the ball like we are suppose to and that's why we won the game. We did best what we do best, not what is best for the opposition.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004   #14
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
I think any team with the kicker we have is not going to chance anything but a field goal with seconds remaining on the clock and you can win the ball game by kicking. That is the way NFL football is played. You don't give the opposition a chance.

I agree 100% .... if Capers had used the same strategy last year against New England then Brown would've had a shot at a 52- 55 yard field goal for the win. Instead he ran a sweep and lost 5 yards effectively pushing us out of field goal range. While 50+ yard field goals are far from automatic and admittedly all this is hindsight, Brown has been as accurate as anyone from long range.
chuckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004   #15
sensei
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by texans3422
What's this guy smoking? How about Arizona or San Fran?

Houston quarterback David Carr tried to hand this game to the Chiefs. He threw wildly. He panicked in the pocket. He wasted timeouts. Carr's coach, Dom Capers, had so little confidence in his QB that he drained the clock and settled for a game-winning 49-yard field goal rather than risk Carr making a mistake.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...9768150.htm?1c

As much as I hate to admit it, This is pretty much the truth. I am as pro Carr as anyone. But, It is time for him to grow up and show the "third year is the year it all comes together" mantra we always hear.

No complaints about how the field goal situation was handled. I would have run the clock down a bit more I think.

sensei
sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004   #16
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensei
As much as I hate to admit it, This is pretty much the truth. I am as pro Carr as anyone. But, It is time for him to grow up and show the "third year is the year it all comes together" mantra we always hear.

No complaints about how the field goal situation was handled. I would have run the clock down a bit more I think.

sensei
Let's not forget that Carr made the right plays on the TD drive and he completed some very crucial 3rd and longs on the way to our FG.

As for Capers, I think this was one of the better games he had making the proper player adjustments on defense and making sure that if we missed the FG, there wouldn't be much time for KC to come back and kick one for themselves.

Dick Vermeil also complained about the umps. We have too but man, you can't get mad when you decided not to take the 3 points. You should've been able to convert the 4th down with Holmes at RB too.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004   #17
salinaspaul
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 salinaspaul was voted MVPsalinaspaul was voted MVPsalinaspaul was voted MVPsalinaspaul was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
Houston on the first week lost to the worst team in the league and on the second week we lost to the 2nd worst team in the lleague.
Apparently, they are now not the worst and 2nd-worst teams in the league. Seems as of today, KC is tied with Miami for worst, as far as records go. :hehe:
salinaspaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read