Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2004   #1
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3261 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84
Default Billy Miller

Nice to see Billy back in the mix...even if he only caught 3 passes. His catches were clutch and at the right time.

Its just great to see him back.
Old 09-27-2004   #2
J-Man
Veteran

I second that emotion...I am a big Billy fan, he pulled in some great grabs on the 3rd and long plays.

Eat 'em Up, KATS!
Old 09-27-2004   #3
Bill's/TexanFan
Rookie

Because of size limitations ....Billy Miller will never be the blocker M.B. is but on the other hand....M.B. will never be the receiver he his. I was a little when we signed Mark because I saw him a number of times when he played for the Steeler's and I never for the life of me understood what current Bill's G.M.Tom Donahoe saw in him to draft him number one when he was the Steeler G.M. .....Mark has always been a singles hitter.....good block...no catch.
Old 09-27-2004   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 228126 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill's/TexanFan
Mark has always been a singles hitter.....good block...no catch.
Not exactly, that is just the way the Steelers used him after his rookie season.

Quote:
COLLEGE: Three-year starter who finished career as UW's school-record holder for catches by a tight end with 90, ranking eighth overall…totaled 1,012 receiving yards to rank third on school receiving yardage list for a tight end
Rookie year--caught 26 passes for 238 yards (9.2 avg.) and three TDs.

After that the Steelers only passed to him in the end-zone pretty much. Throughout training camp and the pre-season , Bruener has been doing a very good job of catching the balls thrown his way. IMO the Steelers were missing out on part of his game.
Old 09-27-2004   #5
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Bruener has always had good hands but not speed. He is the TE equivalent to a possession receiver, as he usually won't go very far after catching it. That is why he was so effective at the goal when he was with the Steelers.
Old 09-27-2004   #6
J-Man
Veteran

Ogre...I seem to recall Bruener catching a couple in preseason and bulldozing for some serious YAC. As powerful as he is he is a pretty good threat if you can creat a mismatch against a DB with him...providing you throw the hook or inside slant to guard aginst the pick-off.

I agree that he is better in the hands department than most folks believe...this is partly due to the role of the TE in general in the Steeler offense and the fact that he can block as well as most starting guards in the league.

Eat 'em Up, KATS!
Old 09-27-2004   #7
Bill's/TexanFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Not exactly, that is just the way the Steelers used him after his rookie season.

Rookie year--caught 26 passes for 238 yards (9.2 avg.) and three TDs.

After that the Steelers only passed to him in the end-zone pretty much. Throughout training camp and the pre-season , Bruener has been doing a very good job of catching the balls thrown his way. IMO the Steelers were missing out on part of his game.
I've watch Mark his entire career and as I indicated earlier.....he was unworthy of being a number one draft choice. Keep in mind....the Steeler's didn't stop throwing to him for no reason. After a "reasonable" first year teams started paying a little more attention to him in the short areas and when that happened...it took away his game. Without the speed to get deep he is/was really limited.....most teams use only their strong side LB to cover him and when that happens the strong safety becomes a problem for your passing game. What we need is a TE who blocks like Bruener but catches and runs like Billy "Red" Miller.
Old 09-28-2004   #8
texanfan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill's/TexanFan
I've watch Mark his entire career and as I indicated earlier.....he was unworthy of being a number one draft choice. Keep in mind....the Steeler's didn't stop throwing to him for no reason. After a "reasonable" first year teams started paying a little more attention to him in the short areas and when that happened...it took away his game. Without the speed to get deep he is/was really limited.....most teams use only their strong side LB to cover him and when that happens the strong safety becomes a problem for your passing game. What we need is a TE who blocks like Bruener but catches and runs like Billy "Red" Miller.

A tight end who blocks like Bruener but catches and runs like Billy Miller. Sounds like they already have that tight end on the roster. Murphy.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read