Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-21-2004   #1
Micheal
Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to Micheal
Default Time For A Change

It looks a though, this will another 4 or 5 win season. If that's the case, I really don't believe David Carr is all that everyone thought he would be. Next season, the Texans really need to look for another quarterback. He is starting to remind of Tony Banks when he used to play for the Rams....good stats, losing record.
Micheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004   #2
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 11712 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Disgree. I do think we make sure we have quality good backups though. Would you want to start over with another rook or David starting his 4th season?

I don't think it's all on one player that changing him would result in a better record.

Now start looking for no turnovers, stepped up defense, and less penalties the rest of this season... then I could get on board with that.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004   #3
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

nah carr has the arm...two of his picks this year came from tipped passes which he can't control so right now i only see him have one pick this season...he has what it takes to be good but we have to get him to get out of these little passes to DD...still want to see the long ball to johnson
Old 09-21-2004   #4
Doug
All Pro

Man you need to calm down. I've been waiting on this to happen. After last year everyone was spouting off at the mouth, Carr this and Carr that. You know what, the guy is doing awesome! Blame him all you want but the guy is 4th in total passing yards, had a passer rating of 109 after the loss to Detroit and not to mention was sacked 5 times and running for his life on several occasions. Geez, what else do you want from this guy? He's still got things to work on but god he looks so much better than the last two years. When is the rest of the team gonna step up? Carrs on the level where he needs to be. Where's everyone else????? Don't pull that, he keeps throwing it to DD every play crud because if he didn't have a hand in his face every other play the ball would be going elsewhere and you saw it quite a few times against Detroit when the man had time to throw.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004   #5
shansmacker
Rookie

I think you are waaaay out of bounds in your assessment of DC up to this point.When he starts getting consistant pass protection and he still has problems moving his team down the field maybe ill think differently but as for what I see now he is doing an excellant job considering he still doesnt have the consistant pass protection he needs.
shansmacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004   #6
Lucky

Rep Power: 106508 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheal
It looks a though, this will another 4 or 5 win season. If that's the case, I really don't believe David Carr is all that everyone thought he would be. Next season, the Texans really need to look for another quarterback...
If you really think the Texans need another QB...then they better start looking for a new coach & GM as well. David Carr is Casserly & Caper's baby. They brought him in with the 1st pick, they built this franchise around him. If Carr's a bust, then C&C don't deserve to stay.

So is that what you're calling for? A complete dismantling of the organization?
Old 09-21-2004   #7
JDizzle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2754 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

I have an idea: Let's bench Carr for the remainder of the season, and start Banks, better yet, let's start Ragone. That way we can go 0 - 16 and draft Leinart. Yeah, then we'll be a powerhouse of the NFL for sure. While you're at it, you might want to find a couple of offensive linemen who can keep interior defensive linemen out of the backfield.

Come on people, this is starting to get ridiculous. If you're going to make statements like that then you really should back it up with something concrete.

Hi, I'm earth, have we met?
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-21-2004   #8
Micheal
Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to Micheal

Now that you bought it up. If the Texans does not have at least an 8-8 season, Caper should be fired.
I do remember when Kurt Warner was playing for the Rams and went to the Superbowl his first year. He constantly had defensive linemen in his face just like David Carr. It's the quarterback people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
If you really think the Texans need another QB...then they better start looking for a new coach & GM as well. David Carr is Casserly & Caper's baby. They brought him in with the 1st pick, they built this franchise around him. If Carr's a bust, then C&C don't deserve to stay.

So is that what you're calling for? A complete dismantling of the organization?
Micheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 106508 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheal
I do remember when Kurt Warner was playing for the Rams and went to the Superbowl his first year. He constantly had defensive linemen in his face just like David Carr. It's the quarterback people.
Maybe the Giants would trade Warner to the Texans for Carr? Would that make you happy?

Now that you brought it up, it's always the QB. Carr is secretly greasing the ball before giving it to DD. He's sneaking in on defense and giving up 3rd & long conversions. He should have made that tackle on the kick return TD. He should disregard the plays coming in and only call bombs to AJ. D-linemen should bounce off his body like a rubber ball. Carr is killing this football team, single-handedly.
Old 09-21-2004   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 41516 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going to say it again, the Texans lack of defensive pressure on the opposing QB, along with lack of protection to ours combined with mental mistakes on both sides resulting in penalties & turnovers is the root cause of the poor beginning to this season. When Carr has time, he can throw down the field with accuracy, Armstrong looks like a weapon, Babin & Robinson are doing fine, Mosses needs to sit on kick-offs for Starling & return punts only.
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004   #11
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Carr in particular and the offense in general are doing fine and we are gonna ge OK in that department - as long as we can get DD to hold on to the ball and we don't get hit with a batch of injuries. OK we need to get more TDs and
fewer FGs in the Red Zone, but they are moving the ball with sustained drives.
And they looked pretty good preseason.
But the D is something else. I have a nagging feeling that we got some real "structural" problems there,i.e., we just don't have the level of talent in
our personnel on that side of the ball that we need to effectively compete.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 41516 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree nun with your assement of the offense & this coming draft look at a premium DT to upgrade pressure on the QB. However I think we have the talent to compete now its just that they are still adjusting to each other, the system and Walker & Payne are not 100% back from last seasons injurys. I thought all along it would take them until mid sesaon to jell, unfortunatly the offense has not capitalized but instead capitalized upon :pickle:
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004   #13
JDizzle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2754 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
If you hand the ball 33 times to your running back, your setting up the QB to fail . I think Carr would like to get out of Palmers system too.
Care to provide us with something to back that up?

Quote:
I would like to see Carr on a west coast offense. Palmer's offense looks like its suffering from severe form of constapation. It's so hard to get anything done.
Especially when you turn the ball over 7 times. I guess it is the coaches fault for not ordering super tackified footballs.

Last edited by JDizzle; 09-21-2004 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-21-2004   #14
JDizzle
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
What if I tell you that the coaches predictability is is causing all these turnovers?
I would then ask you to back that up also, along with your previous statement. Backing up the statement "33 carries sets up a QB to fail" with the crafty, whiz of a comeback "the coaches predictability is causing all the turnovers" is like trying to cover up the smell of dog **** with another scoop of dog ****. I'm not trying to be rude, I just want to know how you're coming up with this stuff.
Old 09-21-2004   #15
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3366 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

I can tell you what is causing the turnovers. Davis not putting two hands on the ball, and Carr making a couple of bad throws. Can't blame the coaches for Davis coughing it up or for Carr unloading off of his back foot.
Old 09-21-2004   #16
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

The Person who needs to go is Palmer and Capers philosiphy. Think about it if all they were going to do was run the ball, why did they draft a quarterback #1 and then a wr in the 2nd in the first years draft. Then Draft another wr #3 ovrl. I like DD alot, but hes not a workhorse type back, hes to small and hasn't proven he can stay healthy for a whole season yet. He has solidified the rb position though. So we can run and pass that makes us a 2 dimensional and balanced offense, but our coaching staff leaves us one dimensional by taking out the passing game, a job that should be left up to the opposing defense. That leaves the opposing defense stacking up against the run resulting in fewer YPC and a higher chance of turnovers. Successful coaches don't force a team to fit their philosiphy. They change their philosiphy to fit the talent and strength of the team. Carr is the guy and hes playing real well. Hes only 2 games into his 3rd year so its to soon to dismiss him already. Plus he has shown significant improvement, just wait til the end of the year. I have a feeling hes going to breakout.
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004   #17
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3366 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the reason the are using the running game so much is to try and open up the passing game. But it has gotten to the point of 2 runs, 1 pass, punt, 2 runs, one pass, punt. They need to mix it up. Try pass, run, pass, or pass, pass, run. I liked what the Eagles and Vikes did last night on offense. I remember one 2nd and 2 the Eagles had I think, and they lined up in shotgun, 2 RB's, and 3 WR's. That is what we need to start doing, mixing it up a bit, stop being so conservative and predictable. Also, until Davis proves he can stop dropping the rock for awhile, I think they should look at splitting RB duties 50/50 with Davis and Hollings. Not just having Hollings spell Davis for a play or 2 for a breather. I would say bench Davis, but I know Capers won't.
Old 09-21-2004   #18
Txnpride
Veteran

It takes time to develop a GOOD Q.B.It takes even longer to make a GREAT one.If D.D hadnt fumbled the ball in the last two games,we would be 2 and 0.I watched the game again yesterday,and he (DAVID) had a look in his eyes I didnt like,(only in the 2nd quater)as if he didnt have any confidence....maybe he was sick,but he didnt look like the David Carr I have been watching.This weekend will be a good chance to get the offense rolling up some big numbers.Someone on our defense needs to step up and be a leader on the field and in the locker room,I dont care if its Sharper,G-funk whom ever...someone needs to take control and light a fire under their ***s.I am very disapointed on our defenses play so far this year,I really was expecting our defense to light some people up,as for DDs fumbles.....I still cant believe what I am seeing....but I believe we can fix it.I dont know how old you are,but I remember back in the old oiler days after losing a couple of games, coming back and winning 11 in a row.We are still a third year team....maybe we ALL got our hopes up little to soon
Txnpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004   #19
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

We're losing because of fumbles. No fumbles and we're 2-0 right now, talking about how we think we're gonna stomp all over poor KC. The play calling is too predictable, but, when you think about it, it's working. We are winning these games in every category, except turnovers and final score.

I did watch the game, but I was surprised too find out that we actually had 5 sacks against us. Carr was under way more pressure than I thought and that explains a lot about why he keeps dumping off to DD. They're not protecting Carr and that's why the coaches only want to pass when they have to--3rd and long (long is a relative term).

I don't think we we should judge Carr or the coaches when DD keeps dropping the ball and Carr is getting sacked 5 times in a game. It's amazing we scored as much as we did. Throw in a kickoff return against us and we really had it rough.

David Carr is not nearly as good as he will be, but he's getting there and I can't see any major flaws. Someone said that he is Capers baby (or something similar) and he is probably deserving of that. We're not talking about that QB that Dallas finally let go this preseason or the one that Pittsburgh's Cowher used to love so much. Carr has real talent and a brain in his head to go with it. I see him as a bonafide future star in this league and he's made fewer rookie mistakes than I would have actually expected.

Last edited by HJam72; 09-21-2004 at 07:09 PM.
HJam72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004   #20
DR#1
Rookie

IMO i think the team is doing good and everyone is looking good, i think no one on the TEAM is to blame, i think its the coaching whether it's Capers or Palmer, i know the coaches aren't the one's thats playing the game but when your running back gets 11 receptions when you have 4 explosive receivers shows you that your not calling the right plays, we're looking like the chargers of last year but the difference is that we actually do have receivers come on we need to get it together n get a win
DR#1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read