Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-18-2004   #1
DetroitLions
Rookie

Default Different prespective of Lions and Texans Matchup

Feel free to agree disagree with my analysis... please explain why also, i like having insight from other teams fans... this is not really based on depth eaither becase that would be looking too far into things...
OFFENSE
QB - Carr vs Harrington: a great story a breat debate... both have struggled since being in the NFL... Edge: push, both have yet to prove anything...

RB - Davis vs Jones - Jones, well is a rookie, and Davis has become a borderline very good NFL RB... edge Domanick Davis...

O-Line - Lions vs Texans: Texans O-Line is decent but not great... Detroit's O-Line somehow got the persona of being terrible, while i think they are very good... ESPN has bettered my argument by ranking the Texans O-Line 21 and the Lions O-Line 13... Edge: Lions

FB - Norris vs Schlesinger: Norris isnt healthy right now, and Baxter is the backup... Corey "sledge" Schlesinger is IMO the toughtest fullback in football, and is he a very good blocking FB... Edge Lions

WR - This is a simple one... With Rogers the Lions are better, without Rogers the Texans are better... Edge: Texans

DEFENSE
Defenseive front 7: its hard to comapre a 3-4 to a 4-3 so i will just leave thatup to someone else, who might have a solid stance about it... but based on the Lions DE's sucking and having a razor thin core of LBs due to injuries, this can only go 1 way... Edge: Texans

CBs: very much like the WRs. with Bly and Bryant the Lions have a clear edge.. but without, i have to give this one to the Texans, Glenn is a good CB, and Coleman is a pretty good starter... Edge: Texans

Safeties - even with the amazing performance last week, Bracy Walker still isnt a very good Safety and would have to have more good games to show last week wasnt a fluke(92 yard blocked kcik return, and game winning INT)... Marion is old, but disguises his loss of physical ability well, by playing with what he has -- experience... Brown and McCree were both less then spectacular last season... but the stats look better then the Lions... Edge: Lions...(Brock Marion isnt all the way done, and has been around)...

Let me know what yiu guys think...
DetroitLions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004   #2
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Brown and McCree were both less then spectacular last season... but the stats look better then the Lions... Edge: Lions...(Brock Marion isnt all the way done, and has been around)...
McCree doesn't start at FS anymore, Marcus Coleman does. Safety is a position that worries me.

Quote:
CBs: very much like the WRs. with Bly and Bryant the Lions have a clear edge.. but without, i have to give this one to the Texans, Glenn is a good CB, and Coleman is a pretty good starter... Edge: Texans
Glenn and Dunta Robinson start at the corners.
Old 09-18-2004   #3
DetroitLions
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
McCree doesn't start at FS anymore, Marcus Coleman does. Safety is a position that worries me.

Glenn and Dunta Robinson start at the corners.
So, Coleman is a worry at Safety? and i heard Dunta was getting beat up so far this season... on a scale from 1-10, how would you rate the secondary?
DetroitLions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004   #4
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So, Coleman is a worry at Safety? and i heard Dunta was getting beat up so far this season... on a scale from 1-10, how would you rate the secondary?
Brown got torched last weekend, Coleman did an OK job I guess, Robinson isn't really getting beat up, he is just making rookie mistakes. Based on our secondary play last weekend I would have to say I would say 4 maybe a 5, but that's just me, I am sure other people will have different opinions.
Old 09-18-2004   #5
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

For losing to the (and I know our turnovers is what killed us) Chargers and not being able to stop them on 3rd and long...a 5.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004   #6
Jwwillis
All Pro

The secondary as of game one is the defenses biggest weakness. It is to be expected with the changes made in the off season. All in all I think DetroitLions has a decent breakdown even though he got some starters wrong. Was wondering 2 things though. Who do you predect to win and why do you think that the diffrence between our fullbacks is a key matchup stat?
Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004   #7
SDBoltz
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 SDBoltz SDBoltz SDBoltz SDBoltz SDBoltz SDBoltz SDBoltz SDBoltz SDBoltz SDBoltz SDBoltz
Default This is from the San Diego Union Tribune

HOUSTON (0-1) @ DETROIT (1-0)
Heading in: A 2-0 start would give a young Lions team confidence, but the Texans were a few fumbles away from a win last week. It's the first ever David Carr-Joey Harrington matchup: we may find out who's closer to the playoffs.
Key for the Texans: Avoid turnovers. Domanick Davis fumbled twice last week, and pinball-style fumbles and interceptions made life easier for the Chargers. This is a potentially formidable offense, but it cannot overcome it's own mistakes.
Key for the Lions: Convert on third downs. Their 2-of-14 performance last week was good enough to hold off an offense like Chicago's, but the Texans will outgun you if they get that many opportunities. The Lions had some 3rd-and-4 and 3rd-and-6 situations where they couldn't convert: they have to get better in those situations to take the next step offensively.
Telling stat: The Lions actually ran the ball (30 times) more often than they threw it last week (26). That only happened three times last year, and the Lions won two of those games.
Scouting report: Texans OLBs Jason Babin and Kailee Wong didn't generate much pass rush against the Chargers, but Babin did distinguish himself with several open field tackles on LaDainian Tomlinson. Babin has good size and can shed blockers on run defense but lacks great pass rush moves at this point. As for Wong, he had a hustle sack but was usually seen wired to his blocker and was often picked up one-on-one by a fullback. Pressure from the ends is a key to the Texans defense; Wong and Babin must become more productive.
Forecast: They may be on the rise, but both teams are still weaklings right now. Take the home team unless you have a better idea. Lions by four.
SDBoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read