Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-10-2004   #1
Mistril48
All Pro

Default Projected 53 man roster, Offense

While many things will change from now until opening day, including injuries, late free agents from June 1 and waiver pick ups, I would argue that the offensive portion of the 53 man roster is largely set. If you assume that three spots are locked in with the kicker, punter and long snapper, we can guess that each of the offense and defense will have 25 spots, although it can vary somewhat to fit in returners & gunners (is the returner an extra WR, or CB).

I believe that the Texans have 22 offensive spots spoken for already, if they are not 'hidden' on Injured Reserve. I believe the 22 are:

1 QB David Carr
2 QB David Ragone
3 QB Tony Banks

4 RB Domanick Davis
5 RB Tony Hollings

6 FB Jarrod Baxter
7 FB Moran Norris

8 WR Andre Johnson
9 WR Jabar Gaffney
10 WR Corey Bradford
11 WR Derick Armstrong

12 TE Bennie Joppru
13 TE Billy Miller
14 TE Mark Bruener

15 LT Chester Pitts
16 LG Todd Washington
17 C Steve McKinney
18 RG Zach Wiegert
19 RT Todd Wade

20 OT Seth Wand

21 OG Milford Brown
22 OG Fred Weary

In addition to the above, they will probably keep a third RB (maybe Wells), a 5th WR (maybe Sloan) and perhaps a 4th tight end (maybe Holloway). While they will need an additional offensive tackle to practice, they may just use one from the practice squad.

Remember, even if they have the above on the 53 man roster, less will dress for the game. For example, the 46 man game day roster (with 3 QBs) will still have a kicker, punter and long snapper active. Likely that means 22 (3 QBs) on offense and 21 on defense. Accordingly, we may only dress 4 WR, 3 TE, 2 RB 7 OL, 1 FB; etc.

If the above is correct, then really a lot of late round picks and free agent pick ups are fighting for 1 or 2 spots.

Give me your thoughts?
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004   #2
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

My thoughts are I will let the experts handle it while I plan my year as a fan.
We can argue till we are blue in the face but that will not change a thing
Old 05-10-2004   #3
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

wheres the fun in that?
Reddevil63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004   #4
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 114345 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i think it looks dead on ... would probably scratch a fb & sub wells tho.
Old 05-10-2004   #5
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Assuming Joppru and Baxter are fully healed, I think you've got it pretty much nailed.

The biggest battle will be at WR. I wouldn't say Derick Armstrong is a lock, but he'll really have to regress to not make the 53. You never know what might happen in camp, I thought Avion Black would make the team last year too. That 5th WR spot will be interesting as there are a host of guys shooting for one slot (assuming Armstrong is #4) and whether that position is even open will be influenced by what happens in the special teams/return game. If Duff, or anyone else shows anything on returns, it will be hard for JJ to hold off guys like Dugans, Sloan, and the NFLE guys.

Baxter is an interesting case. He could end up replacing Mack as the short yardage back and play FB. He played his first year at FB but he seems to be a better fit at heavy RB than at FB. He's a good runner and can catch out of the backfield but he is nowhere near the blocker that Norris is. Conversely, Norris is not nearly as effective as a runner/pass catcher out of the backfield as Baxter. They kept 4 RBs and 2 FBs last year so Wells may luck out one more year. I think I'd rather see Baxter at #3 RB instead of Wells.

They'll keep at least 9 OLs so it will be a battle between Powell, Dawson, Silvers and Jones for that slot.

They kept 3 TEs last year so Holloway could be on the hot seat provided Joppy returns fully healed and they don't carry 4.

On the other side of the ball, the defensive secondary is where the biggest battles (besides WR) will be in camp with Duff, Earl, and Lord trying to win one of the few precious slots.

One thing that's obvious. We have a helluva lot more depth this year than the last two years.

Last edited by aj.; 05-10-2004 at 08:16 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004   #6
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
... Baxter is an interesting case. He could end up replacing Mack as the short yardage back and play FB. He played his first year at FB but he seems to be a better fit at heavy RB than at FB. He's a good runner and can catch out of the backfield but he is nowhere near the blocker that Norris is. Conversely, Norris is not nearly as effective as a runner/pass catcher out of the backfield as Baxter.
I agree with your observations. I really like Baxter as a short yard back, running behind Norris and as a backup fullback, assuming he is healthy and is carrying his weight on special teams. That would be a lot of contributions in the little jobs that don't get a lot of recognition.
Old 05-10-2004   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not sure Todd Washington will have an easy time making our team this year. He has real slow feet, and we are supposedly going to more of a zone-blocking scheme. You cannot be lead footed and play in a predominantly zone scheme (if in fact we do change our schemes as rumored).

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-11-2004   #8
Cheapseats32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan
My thoughts are I will let the experts handle it while I plan my year as a fan.
We can argue till we are blue in the face but that will not change a thing
I thought that's what we do as fans... bounce ideas of eachother to pass the time, right.

Anyway, I'd be interested to see if we devote a roster spot strictly to a PR/KR again this year, or if we make it a pre-requisite to contribute more with that roster spot.
Old 05-11-2004   #9
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapseats32
I thought that's what we do as fans... bounce ideas of eachother to pass the time, right.

Anyway, I'd be interested to see if we devote a roster spot strictly to a PR/KR again this year, or if we make it a pre-requisite to contribute more with that roster spot.
Each year it gets harder and harder to devote roster spots to PR/KRs as we mature as a franchise and develop the bottom of our roster. While a PR/KR is CRUCIAL, so are gunners and we have good ones in Vaughan and Bell, although they have limited upside as corners. Also, we may have to keep bottom roster spots for developmental projects like Glen Earl (if he's like Hollings, he'll only contribute on a limited basis) and Jamaal Lord. What about Symons? If he's not on the PUP list (which means he can't practice), we either keep him on the roster, or waive him and risk losing him trying to get him to the practice squad. I think this year it's going to be really tough finalizing the bottom of the roster.

I think this explains why Casserly wanted a second #1 pick (Babin) instead of several lower picks. Babins takes one roster spot. The titans have to find several roster spots for their selections. They probably can do it, because they have salary cap problems, but it would be tough on us. For example, if we'd used our third round pick on a CB but had to cut Faggins to keep him on the roster, or drafted a guard but had to cut Brown or Weary, would we have been further ahead?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read