Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-08-2004   #1
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP
Default Babin will be our LOLB

Apparently Babin is taking all of his snaps at LOLB and Wong is moving to ROLB. I like this move. If the Peek performs better than Wong at ROLB, Wong can move inside (and potentially replace Foreman).

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2556945

Last edited by TheOgre; 05-08-2004 at 07:11 AM.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004   #2
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

That closes the loop somewhat on this thread: http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...read.php?t=86]
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004   #3
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22903 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

What this Chronicle report also cleared up for myself is that the terms Strong Side and Weak Side do not apply in the Texans' defensive scheme. Contrary to what is a common practice with other teams and defenses, the Texans do not switch their linebackers to fit the offensive alignment. As many of you others use, the proper terminology is simply ROLB and LOLB.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004   #4
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19
What this Chronicle report also cleared up for myself is that the terms Strong Side and Weak Side do not apply in the Texans' defensive scheme. Contrary to what is a common practice with other teams and defenses, the Texans do not switch their linebackers to fit the offensive alignment. As many of you others use, the proper terminology is simply ROLB and LOLB.
I would add a couple of things to Number19's comments.

1) While the Texans don't switch their OUTSIDE linebackers to adjust to changes in the offensive formation, they certainly do have a strong side and weak side, probably called by one of the interior linebackers. This call will be used for stunts and adjustments, such as the defensive linemen slanting to the strangth of the formation on a snap. I beleive Number 19 is suggesting that the term Stong Side and Weak Side Linebackers is inappropriate.

2) The Chronicle article and the quote from Defensive Coordinator Vic Fangio suggest that the motivation for putting Babin on the left side is the fact that he is bigger than Wong ( ... at least 15 lbs) 'to take on bigger offensive players like the tight end and tackles.' While it is open to teams to line their tight end up on the left side (and the Texans won't switch their outside linebackers to counteract the move, although they may switch their strength call), most teams have right handed quarterbacks and accordingly would prefer to have their tight end on the right side most of the time.

The Texans approach reminds me most of the way I believe all teams line up their offensive tackles. The don't switch tackles just because they want to put the tight end on the left. In other words, although the left tackle is sometimes covered with a thight end, he usually is on his own.
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004   #5
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22903 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistril48
...I beleive Number 19 is suggesting that the term Stong Side and Weak Side Linebackers is inappropriate...
You are correct; poor choice of wording on my part. And thanks for the further explanation of our defense.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004   #6
CoachJim
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CoachJim Send a message via Yahoo to CoachJim

DCapers & VFangio call'em Mac & Buc LBs I believe.
Old 05-21-2004   #7
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected
Default More on Babin's switch to LB

From espn.com

Quote:
During all four college seasons, Jason Babin lined up at defensive end, so the former Western Michigan star and Houston Texans first-round draft choice can be forgiven the confusion and awkwardness that accompanied his recent NFL baptism at mini-camp.

Having played his entire career in a three-point stance, with his hand on the ground and his perspective on the quarterback gleaned by glancing up at a slightly cocked angle, Babin now attacks the pocket from an upright position. He is, of course, an outside linebacker now in the 3-4 alignment long preferred by Houston coach Dom Caper and defensive coordinator Vic Fangio, the latest hybrid-type player to make a position switch that he likened to learning to walk again.

Ironically, the native of Paw Paw, Mich., won't be getting his two paws nearly as dirty anymore, because he'll spend most of his time in a two-point stance now.

"I mean, in a lot of ways, it's like being a baby again," acknowledged Babin following his first exposure to his new left outside linebacker spot. "You know, you crawl first, and then you get up on your two feet. Well, I guess I'm going through the evolution process again, huh? No more hand on the ground. No more playing 'down.' It really is a totally new perspective and it's going to take a while to get accustomed to it."

The thing is, Babin is young and pliable and not as rigid in his ways, and he'll grow into his new position. Around the league, though, veteran defenders are being asked to break old habits and learn new maneuvers as more coordinators plan to either overhaul entirely to the 3-4 front or to at least incorporate it into their repertoires.
The full article can be found here... espn article
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-23-2004   #8
SESupergenius

Default 3-4 in Vogue, Come on, Vogue.

Quote:
During all four college seasons, Jason Babin lined up at defensive end, so the former Western Michigan star and Houston Texans first-round draft choice can be forgiven the confusion and awkwardness that accompanied his recent NFL baptism at mini-camp. .....
ESPN Article
Old 05-23-2004   #9
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

Beat ya to it...
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004   #10
A Texan
Veteran

What are you talking about? I picked up a copy of Vogue and didn't find any football in it!
A Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004   #11
SESupergenius

sorry didn't read through EVERY thread.

I'm sure you bought Vogue for the makeup ads anyways.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read