Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-27-2004   #1
DominatorDavis
Veteran

Default Rivers Possible Starter vs. Houston in Opener

Link: http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/s...-7764249c.html

Published: Aug 27, 2004
Modified: Aug 27, 2004 6:55 AM

The Associated Press

The San Diego Chargers will get their first in-game look at quarterback Philip Rivers in tonight's 10 p.m. exhibition game against the Seattle Seahawks.
Rivers, who missed 29 practices and two exhibitions during a contract dispute, will take the field in the second quarter and play into the third period in relief of starter Drew Brees.

Though the rust has shown, the former N.C. State star's practices this week since signing a contract Monday have been positive. But coach Marty Schottenheimer is eager to evaluate him against a stout opponent.

"I think he's done about as well as might be expected," Schottenheimer said. "I'm anxious to see him play in a game, because that will be a much better barometer for us."

Brees has played well. In two games, he has completed 68 percent of his passes with two touchdowns and an interception. But Schottenheimer isn't handing him the starting job just yet.

There's a chance Rivers could overtake Brees by the Sept. 12 opener in Houston.

"I'm confident that I can catch up and get back to where I need to be," said Rivers, who worked for an extra 90 minutes Thursday. "But I got to know it can't happen in a day or two days."
DominatorDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004   #2
DominatorDavis
Veteran

It may be a bit premature but if Rivers starts over Breeze in this game I think that this will give a great advantage to the Texans defense. Just mho.
DominatorDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004   #3
Texan Ag
Rookie

What I like is how Rivers thinks that that extra 90 minutes of practice are going to take place of almost 30 practices he missed due to his holdout. I know the kid wanted to get paid, but if were serious about wanting to be the starter, he should have fought to get inked before camp

My
Old 08-27-2004   #4
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

They mentioned on NFL Live that the Chargers are undefeated in season openers when they start a rookie QB. Okay so maybe they're only 1-0 with that lone win coming with Ryan Leaf at the helm, but still I like the Texans 2-0 record in home openers despite who plays. A rookie QB against our defense? Marty must be a little bit off his rocker.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004   #5
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Neither QB should be able to beat the Texans, tomilson is the only thing that should be an issue for defense. Unfortunately, that is pretty big issue.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004   #6
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected

True but with Rivers in there I would expect Marty to concentrate more on the run than if he had Brees starting.
Old 08-28-2004   #7
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
They mentioned on NFL Live that the Chargers are undefeated in season openers when they start a rookie QB. Okay so maybe they're only 1-0 with that lone win coming with Ryan Leaf at the helm, but still I like the Texans 2-0 record in home openers despite who plays. A rookie QB against our defense? Marty must be a little bit off his rocker.
The Texans are 1-0 in home openers (against Dallas) and 1-0 in road openers (at Miami).

There is no way Rivers will start after missing training camp.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-28-2004   #8
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOrange
The Texans are 1-0 in home openers (against Dallas) and 1-0 in road openers (at Miami).

There is no way Rivers will start after missing training camp.
Geeze that was a big brain freeze on my part. Meant season openers. Guess I should proof read my stuff before I post.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read