Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-22-2004   #1
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default Babin.......

It's early folks, but this kid looks lost. You should see it on TiVo! Slow motion. His foot quickness is not as advertised and the speed of the NFL game looks to really be taking him by surprise. Not only that, he's playing as if the last play is still on his mind, and he has to let it go. He's not losing the starting job with the pick invested in him, so just go out there 110%, and get after the QB kid! Otherwise, you'll be looking to survive in the league, long enough to make the minimum years to receive NFL pension!
Old 08-22-2004   #2
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I actually thought Babin played or tried hard but the Steelers just kicked our arses all over the field yesterday. Babin had like a sack yesterday and made a couple of tackles I think. It's going to take him a while, but I'm confident he'll be a good player for us.
Old 08-22-2004   #3
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6845 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

More than anything to me, he just looks like he is playing tenatively. My guess is that he will get past this once he gets more time in the league and develops better instincts.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004   #4
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Be a little patient. The guy only has two halves of pro experience.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004   #5
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

2 halves - 2 sacks - never played the position much - playing in the most complicated and fastest game around - yup, he's toast, better ship him out.

For crying out loud, the guy is JUST getting started. He won't even begin to hit his stride probably until next year AND it is only the second game of the freakin PRESEASON.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004   #6
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default not freaking out

Just mentioning a few athletic things I saw. He just doesn't seem to have great feet. I think he will develop, but more on the lines of a Kevin Greene. Full-time pass rusher, not much else.
Old 08-22-2004   #7
JDizzle
I'm a dude

Rep Power: 7477 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittbull
It's early folks, but this kid looks lost. You should see it on TiVo! Slow motion. His foot quickness is not as advertised and the speed of the NFL game looks to really be taking him by surprise. Not only that, he's playing as if the last play is still on his mind, and he has to let it go. He's not losing the starting job with the pick invested in him, so just go out there 110%, and get after the QB kid! Otherwise, you'll be looking to survive in the league, long enough to make the minimum years to receive NFL pension!
He had a sack week 1 and had another one last night but got Hosed by the refs. Babin is doing just fine.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-22-2004   #8
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittbull
As far as Babin's demeanor goes he does not seem to be the fiery, intense type of competitor I expected. I don't know if that's because he is tentative, even overwhelmed by the speed and complexity of the NFL game or if it's more a case of him pacing himself until he's more comfortable, more sure-footed and then is ready to turn it up a notch. Hope it's the latter.
As far as his physical abilities go I think his outside pass rush is fairly impressive - he's real quick and we saw his spin move last week, but I'm concerned about his ability to handle the TE and tackle blocking him head up
on rushing plays, this has gota make the strong side OLB tougher to play than weakside.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004   #9
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 31527 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
...his ability to handle the TE and tackle blocking him head up
on rushing plays...
I've had a light bulb going off the past two weeks and, not commenting on Babin but rather 3-4 OLB's in general, would like to know what you all think.

OT's are getting bigger - much bigger - 6'-6", 6'-7", 320 lbs, 330 lbs and with humongous wingspans. And they're not slow and fat - they have quick feet and agility.

I see a developing mismatch with the 3-4 OLB; typically 6'-3" or 6'-4" and 260 lbs. They're giving up 3" in height and 60 lbs. and I'm not sure speed can fully compensate for this.

I think that, at a minimum, the position is going to be much harder to play than in the past.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004   #10
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19
I've had a light bulb going off the past two weeks and, not commenting on Babin but rather 3-4 OLB's in general, would like to know what you all think.

OT's are getting bigger - much bigger - 6'-6", 6'-7", 320 lbs, 330 lbs and with humongous wingspans. And they're not slow and fat - they have quick feet and agility.

I see a developing mismatch with the 3-4 OLB; typically 6'-3" or 6'-4" and 260 lbs. They're giving up 3" in height and 60 lbs. and I'm not sure speed can fully compensate for this.

I think that, at a minimum, the position is going to be much harder to play than in the past.
Yeah, but just as those 6-7, 330 guys are developing incredible athleticism there are similar gains in the guys who are 6-4, 260. Everyone is getting stronger and faster.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004   #11
clandestin
Veteran

Babin and Peek seemed to be on opposite sides of the spectrum. Peek was all-out aggressive in getting to the passer, but at the sacrifice of his other responsibilites (contain, run-support, etc.) Babin on the otherhand seemed so focused on his responsibilities and not making a mistake that he didn't show any aggressiveness in his play. Good news is that both of those things should get better with more experience.
clandestin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19

While that facially has some logic, I am not sure it bears up to actual play experience. Look at some of the top DE's at getting to the QB:

Ogunleye 260 lbs
Jason Taylor 255 lbs
Leonard Little 261 lbs
Aaron Schobel 262 lbs
Gbaja-Biamila 252 lbs
Lance Johnstone 250 lbs
Kearse 265 lbs
Old 08-23-2004   #13
Livid13
Veteran

Rep Power: 31 Livid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default ROOKIES/Babin, et al

Guys, come on, he's a freakin' ROOKIE! He's not even out of camp yet. I used this analogy last year and think it's appropriate for the rooks, regardless if they're selected in the 1st, or 5th round, for arguments sake. I don't know about those that started their chosen profession, ie physicians, engineers, attorneys (see plumbers), corporate execs, techies, plumbers, carpenters, land men, musicians, or politician. All I can say, is that when I first started to actually WORK for a living, I knew very little about the harsh realities of the job(s). I'd like to think I'm a reasonably bright guy and as a 21 year old KID, I was insufferable....more so than now, trust me. These guys know next to NOTHING about the NFL and the level of play that is required, to be not only successful, but a star in this league. Yes, the entire team, coaching staff and equipment manager had a horrid game, especially the rookies and 2nd and 3rd stringers. I think it's safe to say that aj is one of the most objective and analytical Texans fan that posts, follows the team, attends open practices and obviously attends/watches every Texans game and then reviews it again on tape, or DVD. His post indicates what HE thinks regarding some weaknesses, in regards to Babin. He knows ALOT more than I do, when it comes to the personnel and the makeup of this VERY young team. The day I see him panic, along with Vinny, EA, CnD, Gr8, BPA and a few others, I might start to worry. Don't get me wrong, I expect alot more from the TEXANS this year, but to start ripping apart 1st/2nd rounders (as I did with Gaffney his rookie year), or scream for Palmer/Capers to go, is just plain moronic and you are reacting on a very base level. You know, EMOTIONALLY? Think of when you were 21, or 22 and walked into the office, or onto the job site for the first few weeks, months, or in some situations,were tossed into a mental ward. You were scared, confused and realized that theory, applications and hyperbole were a far cry from execution at a high level, on any kind of consistent basis. There were guys that ran circles around you, based on experience alone. Give the rooks some time. As far as the team is concerned, I'm still saying 8-9 wins, if healthy.
Livid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004   #14
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey calm down, big guy! Sounds like you are getting too personal about this subject. Some people see it like you, some people see it other ways. So be it. But I think your argument about him being a rookie holds no weight with me. Not that i'd compare this player to Babin but Kearse in his rookie year was a monster. But he could have been scared too. All this being said, I still love my Texans no matter what.
Old 08-26-2004   #15
BABINFAN
Rookie

Sounds like Babin will play Friday until it starts bothering him. The game is on at 2am EST on NFL network Friday night / Saturday morning tape delay.
BABINFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004   #16
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP
Default babin

At least there is no pressure on Babin. The team he plays for gave up quite a bit for him, he is a rookie in 2nd preseasongame and all the fans are so understanding! I agree with edo 783, do not expect much until end of season or 2005. He has never played a full regular season game with the other starters. Now Kailee Wong? Another story! Can't make it on the left and can't make it on the right. Good at pass coverage, but that is what corners & safeties are for.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read