Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-22-2004   #1
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83
Default Thoughts on the game

Not an overwhelming amount of positives to draw from this shalacking, but as others have stated hopefully this will help to get our players' head's straight.

The offensive line gave pretty good pass protection tonight. Carr had time to do his thing and it paid dividends. They were terrible for run blocking though, I don't care how bad a back is, when they run for less than a yard a carry, alot of the fault lies with the guys in front.

Hollings had nowhere to run, but he didn't create anything by himself either. He doesn't look bad for someone so new to a position, but great running backs can create their own luck sometimes, he is obviously far away from being a great running back at this stage of his career (I know, that's obvious). I was impressed with the block he made on a blitzing linebacker, I'm sure you know the play I'm talking about. It was a savvy play from a young guy. Moran Norris was knocking heads out there, he's played lights out so far. Did you see him block two guys at once!?

The DLine looked like it got dominated by their first stringers, shouldn't alot of our run-stopping woes have gone out the window with the return of Gary Walker and the acquisition of Smith? We started getting penetration later in the game, but we didn't make plays in the backfield.

The linebacker's got man-handled as well. They made tackles....after the ball-carrier gained 4 or 5 yards. To be fair, alot of the Steeler's OLine was busting through and occupying our linebackers.

The receivers looked good, IMO. So did David Carr. He's been outstanding thus far in the pre-season. It's hard on him when 1st and 2nd down yield negative yardage from poor run blocking, and he's forced into a 3rd and long situation. That's almost always an incompletion or a shovel pass for minimal yardage it seems.

Special Teams was pretty good. Steve Cheeks can pummel that ball, is he making Stanley nervous? I'm not Moses' biggest supporter, but come on, the guy looked excellent tonight and is heads and shoulders above everyone else so far. I thought he danced too much last year, but tonight he made a move, found the seam and turned on his afterburners (ok, so he doesn't HAVE afterburners, but still).

Our secondary was 'OK'. Big Ben threw a duck to Randle El, Eric Brown had plenty of time to adjust but instead he just proved why he is more of a run-stopping safety. Glenn is exceptional and played like a pro. DRob looked pretty good, I'm glad he got to see what it's like to cover receivers who have success against him, he'll learn from it. He didn't get burned, but he didn't shut down his man.

The coaching: Two challenges, two misses. I don't blame Capers though, those were tough calls. The playcalling was pretty vanilla, but guess what, that's the norm in the pre-season. I think the coaches are doing fine so far.

The verdict: The Steelers came ready to play tonight, I don't think many of our players did. We lost in the trenches on both sides of the ball, and the trickle down effect that had on the rest of our team killed us.

P.S. The Texans accomplished the most important thing to me going into the game - they came off the field relatively healthy *here's to hoping Hollings ribs are ok*.

Last edited by blockhead83; 08-22-2004 at 02:09 AM.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004   #2
texansfan88
All Pro

im disapointed and embarassed but not calling for anyones head, just dont do it again
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004   #3
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan88
im disapointed and embarassed but not calling for anyones head, just dont do it again
I haven't had a chance to see the game yet, but my geuss is that the last was about seeing what Carr could do. This game was about seeing what Hollings could do. I am sure the OL is learning from this as well. Does anybody have any comments about Wand?
Old 08-22-2004   #4
swisher
Old School

Rep Power: 669 swisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This one wasn't as bad as the Tampa Bay preseason game last year. After the regular season it'll be hard to even remember who we played in the preseason.
swisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004   #5
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Quote:
I don't care if they play like this against Denver and Tampa Bay because the preseason results don't matter. They need to evaluate players, avoid injuries, and prepare for the regular season. Those three things are all that matters, especially when compared with the scores of meaningless games.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004   #6
texansfan88
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOrange
I don't care if they play like this against Denver and Tampa Bay because the preseason results don't matter. They need to evaluate players, avoid injuries, and prepare for the regular season. Those three things are all that matters, especially when compared with the scores of meaningless games.
i'm not disapointed in wins/losses, i'm disapointed on just overall how everyone played. I couldnt give you a guy that had a good night. thats why i'm disapointed
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004   #7
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOrange
Sorry, but I gotta disagree there. I don't care if they LOSE the remaining preseason games, but I definitely do care if they play like THAT. Play for play, drive for drive, that's what's important--I agree that the score is irrelevant. In fact, most of the second half was irrelevant. But while the first team did finally get it together on offense, the first-team defense got rolled by a 6-10 team that was near rock bottom in rushing last year.

We're in a far stronger offensive division than the Steelers, so we won't have as many weak offenses (like Dallas) to give the D breathing room. Believe me, I'm nowhere near pushing the panic button, but I hope this game was a good wake-up call.

Props to Big Ben Ralphedmyburger, by the way. Looks like a great young talent.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-22-2004   #8
LiveForTheGame
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to LiveForTheGame

I don't mind if they lose. Last night they didn't lose...they got slaughtered. That is the part that gets under my skin. I'm not going to say they're terrible and aren't going to be any good this season because it isn't true. It's just time they start playing with some consistency as far as playing well week in and week out.
LiveForTheGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004   #9
Jwwillis
All Pro

The broadcasters said the offensive line said that it was just one or two players not doing there job making everyone look bad. I've never heard the Texans finger point before. Please tell me that sort of thing isnt already starting. I have a feeling Wand was completely lost out there. Bottom line is the Oline had trouble with the 3-4. There blocks were breaking down as the running play moved laterally. The CB/LB corp. made several mistakes biting on the play fakes. Again, we get screwed on the officiating. Guess the memo about the Texans officially being off expansion probation didnt make it to the head officials desk. Personally, I like it when this sort of thing happens IN PRESEASON. This gives the players plenty to go over with time to correct mistakes. Capers said practice following a win was easier because everyone seems more focused. I would hope it would be the other way around.
Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004   #10
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8735 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

actually i think that was said about the defense. gary walker said that in an interview during the game. as far as wand i thought he played alright, he did not allow a sack.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004   #11
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

The Texans looked like ... well.. like they were invited to a surprise party and when they got there were told they were going to play a football game.
Such total mis-mos!
They had practiced for NOISE during the week ... no problem with that! Steeler fans that were there either were laughing and talking, or fell asleep and then left early.

The refs were brutal on the Texans .... one sided all the way!

A couple bright spots ... JJ's run ... he is good at doing that in preseason and can't seem to get it together when it counts though.
We need Kendrick Starling ... does he have a chance of making the team?
And Hollings should have stayed in Houston with DD. He didn't have a chance out there. He didn't get any help. I felt sorry for him.

Other than that ... it was a beautiful night in Pittsburgh for a football game.
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004   #12
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i think blockhead gave a pretty fair anaylsis overall on the game...that was one of the things wade was commenting about after the scrimmage against the dolphins it seems that we have a problem getting ready to play games...what i mean by that is players not amped about playing...players who aren't aggressive enough to just want to go out there and knock some heads around...i think smith also commented on that as well...our run defense should have been better...i never thought the steelers o-line was that good maybe i'm wrong...well lets just hope they come to play in denver...i'd like to end preseason 3-1 but who knows
Old 08-22-2004   #13
TexansJunkE
Veteran

Default calm down..........

I think everyone one needs to calm down a bit and relax! We are in the 2nd game of the PRESEASON!!! We have people all concerned about the season, that a week ago were prasing the Texans. They are practice games, it doesn't count! Why would we do anything out of the ordinary to impress anybody in the preseason. Let's just sit back and watch football. Don't get me wrong I wonder the same things as far as why would you call that play or what's going on with this player. There is plenty of time to complain during the season when it counts. Looking forward to a great season!
TexansJunkE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004   #14
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 4489 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

palmer was running these stupid 3 and 10 screens last year. you relax!
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read