Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-15-2004   #1
Texans Longhorns
Rookie

Default Cowboys game thoughts

Texans:

First unit offense and defense were great.

I think Carr had only one incomplete pass. He had good protection. I forgot to look at the # of the jersey but the left tackle at the start of the game held his own. Hopefully that was Seth Wand.

Through two years Gaffney has put up good #'s for receptions but not enough TD's. Nice to see him get one.

Hollings had a great rushing performance. However 4 fumbles is inexcusable. I am worried about this.

I kept my eye on Dunta Robinson. I was impressed. He had some great coverage on Keyshawn.

I didn't watch Babin as much but others have said he looked great.

Vontez Duff didn't do anything to make me think they cut JJ.

Jamal Lord had a nice tackle on special teams.

I am a homer for Sloan Thomas. I think he had one catch. I was disapointed that he didn't get more PT.

Cowboys:

Looked horrible

Did anybody else get nervous on Carr's scramble when Roy Williams was the man to make the tackle?

Julius Jones was their bright spot but it was against our last team defense.

Last edited by Texans Longhorns; 08-15-2004 at 10:16 AM.
Texans Longhorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004   #2
Texans Longhorns
Rookie

Default Re: Cowboys game thoughts

Bruener is going to be a huge acquisition. How could I forget him?
Texans Longhorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004   #3
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Longhorns
Vontez Duff didn't do anything to make me think they cut JJ.
Duff looked good IMO. He did nothing flashes but was very strong a broke some tackles and got yardage.

The defense has a chance to be a top 15 unit and the offense a top 10. The offense went through the best defense of a year ago like it was the worst defense of a year ago. Carr was poised, accurate, and saw the field extremly well. Tony Hollings looked great, minus the fumbles (which is 2, offical stats say 2, so its 2). D-Rob and Babin were excellent for there first games. We got pressure when we needed to and there was excellent coverage down field, and D-Rob can tackle for a little guy.

Cant wait for the regular season to start....

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004   #4
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 27500 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

I knew going in our starters wouldn't be in long, so my focus was seeing how our second and third stringers held out against a much deeper Dallas team. The key to this season is going to be our depth. Injuries will occur and having a guy on the bench to fill that position will determine our overall record. We've arrived in my opinion. Though late in the game the third string seemed a bit disoriented, they quickly adjusted with the additional playing time. We matched up well with a team that on paper should be far superior in overall talent. My optimism grows! Go Texans!

FTF

Last edited by FirstTexansFan; 08-15-2004 at 10:41 AM.
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004   #5
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Babin made a good play when he stripped the QB of the ball, otherwise (and
I watched him closely when our D was on the field), it seemed he was moving backward most of the time. Much of the time he was tentative. In all fairness,
his transition from small time down lineman (Western Michiigan and its conference is not bigtime by any stretch of the imagination), to LB in the NFL
is huge and will take time.
But Robinson was really impressive. He was quick, fast, in control for the most part, and very aggresive. You gotta worry 'bout his size, but he's probably very
wiry or wouldn't got this far. They can beef him up int weight room. But I thought he really looked good - definite first rounder and top ten - atleast the initial impression.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought Babin was excellent. Watch how he pursues on the backside. That is what people refer to as a "high motor". He did very well and I saw much to be excited about. I don't understand the chronic Babin bashing. He was very impressive and I don't just back guys to back them. I always look up my old posts and I have a pretty good track record. He didn't "prove" anything last night but he sure flashed the skill that it takes to play at a high level in this league.

Robinson is everything the coaches and scouts said he was. He is quick and sudden. He is going to be a good one. He brings a physical presence to the corner despite his size.

Duff is going to make this team. JJ is in trouble. He looks like a football player and he has a nice heavy running style for a returner. He isn't going to be arm tackled easily.

Sears played more physical last night. He looks like a different guy. Giving him less snaps and him being in better shape will give us the lineman we wanted behind Deloach. I was impressed with him.

Can't say enough about Carr. He looked fantastic. Gaffney is going to prove that he cannot catch a ball unless you throw it to him and shut his critics up around here I think.

Hollings looked and ran just like Tiki Barber. That is exactly how Tiki gets his yards. Explosive burst and is dangerous on screens and in the open field. Unfortunately he also has Barbers hands it looks like. He blew up Starling on that one sweep and showed how strong he is. Perhaps Starling will learn to get out of the way of an NFL back. They aren't fun to get run over by.

Anderson did not show me much running the football. So much for training camp gloss. Live contact at full speed separates the talent in this league.

Overall I was very impressed with our physical play and the way we looked like the more coordinated, better conditioned team. Just one game, but it sure made me happy.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004   #7
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i'll start with babin: kid looked great on his sack and forced fumble...but other times he was just running in there and letting the o-line of dallas get to his body...i think it was just some first game jitters on his part...but overall very good performance

robinson: proved why he was the 10th overall selection in my mind...nuff said

carr: looked more poised in the pocket and looked more like a leader on the field

hollings: ran great but needs to work on holding on to the football

gaffney and bruener: looked great...better than i expected

overall: offense was very clean...looking for us to be ranked somewhere in the middle of the pack if this performance keeps up...thinking 12th overall

deffense...i think if we move wong inside and peek outside or just have a heavy rotation we're going to be ranked somewhere around 13th overall

all in all a very impressing outing by our guys...can't wait for the steelers
Old 08-15-2004   #8
DJOBE

I think that it was a great game. My father-in-law is a die-hard
Cowboy fan, he was very disappointed. I got to gloat on him, that was great. Carr was very good, I wonder where is barber is? I was really impressed with the offensive line, they protected Carr very well. I think we can make the playoffs this year, what do you all think?
Old 08-15-2004   #9
DoCt3rJ
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to DoCt3rJ

I diden't see that meanness in Babin that everyone has been talkin about, he looked average, got clogged up in the lineman most of the time. The sack came off a double block where he kinda bounced off, made a descent move, he'll be solid his first year though, just like Peek, hes gonna take a year to get adjusted probably.
DoCt3rJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004   #10
Demon
Rookie

I agree. Babin is going to be very good. It takes time to adjust and become good in the NFL. We Texans fans are very happy with this preseason W because we looked improved on defense and on offense.
Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004   #11
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

I agree with what a couple of you said about Vontez Duff. He is a strong runner and can break tackles in a group much easier than JJ. I think he beats him out.
Old 08-15-2004   #12
MojoX
Veteran

Rep Power: 446 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected

The Chronicle says that Babin looked lost on some plays, but the way he beat the double team for the sack is a sign of things to come.

On the official site, Babin pretty much says he has to learn to find his bearings in-game when he won't be able to hear all the defensive calls, partially explaining why he looke lost out there... cause he really was--he was losing his assignment.

Quote:
Texans head coach Dom Capers said he liked what he saw out of Babin and Robinson.

I felt a lot more comfortable out there, Babin said. Now I know what I need to work on a little more. Now Im ready to really hone it in and realize that Im not going to hear the calls. I have to look for hand singles. I have to make decisions on my own. I just have to study more and fine-tune some skills Ive been working on.
Anyway, I don't think we have much to worry about when it comes to Babin.
MojoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004   #13
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

I for one being a fan since 1st preseason and sick of Jermaine Lewis doing fair catches 1st season, think Duff is REAL deal on returns I didn't see him ever act like he was going to fair catch..also didn't know this but Dallas Dodos on local TV (unfortunately live near Dallas) said Duff had 3TDs..1 a Punt Return, 1 a kickoff return and 1 an interception returned for a TD..only player in Notre Dame History( which is considerable) to do this.

He looked like he is going to make special teams better, so if D steps up like it did last night during season and Palmer puts away his "VANILLA" bottle. We could have a top ranked team and some of those lapses that in last 2 years cost us close games will go our way.

Example Dallas 2002 5-11 they won close games last (2003)and went 10-6 and made playoffs, so if we can stop mistakes and D remains healthy and plays up to potential we could win a lot more games this year

BTW Vegas has underestimated us, a friend who goes there regularly said they have us at 6 wins. Guess they think with easier schedule then had last year we will only be able to squeeze out 1 more win, who's for proving Lost Wages Books wrong this season.
BigDTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read