Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-29-2004   #1
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man
Default Is JJ going to be looking for a new team?

Is the writing on the wall for JJ Moses? The Texans drafted Duff,-DB and puped his return abilities. Then drafted Lord-DB and said should help in special teams. And finally unsigned UFA, Starling-WR, a speedster with return skills. (Also, I believe that the Texans have one or two more WR/Returners in NFLE, but I can't remember their names)

To me it looks like the Texans want to find a returner who can help the team in other areas, which Moses can't.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004   #2
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

It looks to me like they want to have a "Take it to the house" threat and JJ is that guy. However, he very consistantly gives us good field position on the kickoff which is VERY important. I think the pre-season will show if there is one of the new guys that can be that consistant and still be a homerun threat.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004   #3
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Punt/Kickoff return is one of the most dangerous positions to play. Guys are trying to take their heads off at full speed. You need more than a few return guys. If jj goes down, then we have more than enough to fill until he gets back. The last thing you want is to be out of return guys. People fumbling the ball everytime they try to catch it. oy, that would be bad.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004   #4
torro_1
waterboy

Default is jj going

the most important thing is feild position, if jj is or isnt the man i say have at least one or two to back him. what can go wrong there. You have a practice squad like a baseball bull pen, pick someone out
torro_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004   #5
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

I thought JJ showed some flashes, but he did not have the top end speed of a Dante Hall. I think the Texans would like the moves of a JJ with the speed of a Bradford. Maybe they are hoping that someone the pack will possess those skills. I think if they find one solid returner and a potential backup, then JJ might not be here for too long.
Old 04-29-2004   #6
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

if nothing else.. if they can find someone who can handle the punt returns better.. JJ is still a great kick returner.

I know that would tie up too spots on the roster.. im not saying it would be along term answer.. but possible a short term if no one really comes forth as the best guy.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004   #7
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1298 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Sloan Thomas or the undrafted free agent, Kendrick Starling, could compete for the returning duties if they make the team.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-29-2004   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan281
I think Sloan Thomas or the undrafted free agent, Kendrick Starling, could compete for the returning duties if they make the team.
Casserly was talking up the fact that Duff excelled at both kick and punt returns and how rare that was--better throw him in the mix as well.
Old 04-29-2004   #9
done88
Veteran

Smile Hope not

I hope they keep JJ around I really enjoyed his returns. He may not get a large number of TD's, but his average return is solid and he helped the Texans when the field position battle in a few games.
Old 04-30-2004   #10
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Casserly was talking up the fact that Duff excelled at both kick and punt returns and how rare that was--better throw him in the mix as well
He is definately in the mix, but if I remember correctly I read that he lacked breakaway speed, which is the knock on JJ. I have tried to find the information that I read, but I have not been sucessful. In other words, I have not convinced myself that it was him that I was reading about...
Chance_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004   #11
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

From www.otcdraft.com:

Quote:
Vontez Duff is a very agressive player who plays faster than his times would indicate. He has good strength and quickness, which allows him to be a good punt returner as well as a good cornerback. He's a big time playmaker who is always looking to get the ball in his hands and take it back for 6. He's probably never going to be a great starter in the NFL, but he could be a very good nickel back. He could excel in a Cover-2 situation where he has help over the top to compensate for his lack of pure speed. He's the perfect pick for a team like Tampa Bay or Indianapolis. Expect him to go in the late third or fourth
Pretty good pick if you ask me, considering where we got him. But note the sentence about lack of speed. I think he will have to be even more elusive than JJ to take his job. JJ's job is for the taking, but I'm not sure who will take it. Might be Vontez, might not be.
Chance_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004   #12
HoustonTexansAreTheBest
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Casserly was talking up the fact that Duff excelled at both kick and punt returns and how rare that was--better throw him in the mix as well.

Duff sounds like D Sanders..........

"Hope Is On the Way"-John Edwards
HoustonTexansAreTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004   #13
Texanholic01
waterboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by V Man
Is the writing on the wall for JJ Moses?
I would hope not! A good returner is like a good receiver or a good running back and to lose a good returner, just because he's not as multi purposed as some of the other returners around the league is crazy. The difference between starting on the 20/25 versus starting on the 15 is a huge difference! I guess we're bound to find out when the time comes though!
Texanholic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004   #14
Crestmob

No they gave him more comp to up the level of play
Old 05-09-2004   #15
texans
Veteran

Question the returner

I was wondering if mosses is out who is the number two guy. I saw Dunta doing a return and Aaron did them in ny. Duff was a great returner in collage but will thaat translate into the NFl. Who do you think the returner will be next year becase i think we need a new one.
texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004   #16
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

If Duff wins it, Gaff will be the #2 PR and Hollings will be the #2 KR.

I see Duff winning it.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read