Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-31-2004   #1
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134504 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Camping Indoors

More workouts moving indoors during camp
JOSEPH DUARTE
Houston Chronicle (click for entire story)
Copyright 2004

Quote:
The third installment of Camp Capers will offer a noticeably different feel this summer. A nice, cool breeze. Hoping to escape the sweltering Houston heat, Texans coach Dom Capers will conduct at least one-third of the 27 training camp workouts inside the team's climate-controlled facility. "If we can mix where we aren't constantly out in the heat and humidity every day," Capers said, "it will be in our best interest."

The 24-day training camp which begins with two workouts today at Reliant Park calls for the Texans to alternate days they practice outdoors. On days that involve two practices, the team will remain outside for two-hour practices in the morning and evening. Days that involve one workout, which will begin at 3 p.m., will be moved inside the team's practice bubble.

During their previous two training camps, also held in Houston, the Texans worked out almost exclusively outside. Other than moving some of the practices indoors, Capers wasn't planning any other changes this year. "We spent a lot of money for that bubble," defensive end Gary Walker said with a grin. "We need to use it. I think Dom is just trying to take care of us. Practicing inside at 3 p.m. makes a lot of sense. Everybody knows how hot it is around here."

Capers said the main reason behind the decision to hold at least nine workouts inside was a weather-friendly schedule during the early portion of the season. The Texans play August exhibitions at Pittsburgh and Denver. After opening the regular season at home against San Diego at Reliant Stadium, which features a retractable roof, the next three road trips are to Detroit, Kansas City and Tennessee in late September and mid-October.

To prepare for last season's opener in steamy South Florida, Capers worked his squad outdoors for most of camp. The Texans responded with a 21-20 win over Miami. "Miami had won 11 straight openers, and I think a big part of that was because the teams weren't ready to go in there and play in the heat and humidity," Capers said. "This year we open at home (Sept. 12), so we have the option of having the roof closed or open. And even when it's open, with the air conditioner it's not that much of a factor."

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004   #2
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

At first, I missed the Lopez column and to my horror, I thought the Cowboys coverage had surpassed Duarte's Texans "coverage" today with that half page on the 'boys by McClain along with the 6"x6" mug shot of tuna. That still isn't right IMO. McClain is at 'boys camp all week so get ready for daily updates....oh boy.

The Chronicle sports editor is dan.cunningham@chron.com

Last edited by aj.; 07-31-2004 at 07:38 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004   #3
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

Camping indoors - makes sense to me! Why suffer needlessly? Glad the schedule gives them a better choice this year. Last year they put themselves on the line to win that Miami game and I'm glad it panned out.

As for that dang newspaper in town .. quit buying it!! Hit them in the pocketbook and maybe it might make an impression.
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134504 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for the e-mail link. I just sent off an e-mail asking why the Houston Chronicle's most experienced NFL writer covers the Cowboys and the Titans and not the Texans. I just do not understand why we get the less experienced and more milquetoast offerings from the less experienced and arguably less talented writers for the local team. Seems fairly backwards to me.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004   #5
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I like reading the daily newspaper. One subscription out of over a half-million circulation does nothing to them. It hurts me more than it hurts them if I quit subscribing to "prove a point." They are a monopoly in this city.

I don't like other NFL teams continually getting routine and prominent features in HOUSTON Chronicle Sports. I know why they do it as I've exchanged letters with them several times. As long as I'm a subscriber and as long as I see half page articles of another team that I could care less about in my paper (that cuts into the coverage of our own team), I will continue to ***** about it. It may be futile but that's the way it goes.

Quote:
I just do not understand why we get the less experienced and more milquetoast offerings from the less experienced and arguably less talented writers for the local team. Seems fairly backwards to me.
The Chronicle's perspective is that the NFL writer gig should be reserved for the most experienced and seasoned writer (as is McClain). McClain has tons of contacts around the league and his experience would be wasted here as a local beat guy. The problem to me is the priority/focus/emphasis (call it what you want) of what the NFL beat guy writes about. He should be more focused on the general NFL and less focused on the Cowboys and Titans. I'm not talking about his notebook, I'm talking about features. Did you know that McClain is at Cowboys camp all week and will be covering EVERY Cowboys away game this season? I submit that it's the focus that's screwed.

My best example of that lack of focus was last season (or was it '02?) when Peyton Manning returned to NO to lead the Colts against the Saints in Prime Time. What a perfect opportunity for an article of great NFL interest for Houston Chronicle readers. Do you remember what we got from the Chronicle's NFL beat writer that week? It was a throw down article titled "(Jeff) Fisher is one of the best." Harrumph....

What about Portis in Washington - how's he doing? What about Champ Bailey in Denver - how's he doing? What about Kenechi Udezi, Duante Culpepper, Randy Moss, Michael Bennett and the forever underachieving Vikes? What about Byron Leftwich and Reggie Williams? What about Lovie Smith in Chicago? How long will Norv Turner last? Will it be Rivers or Brees......There is so much more out there for NFL fans than the "regional coverage" we get from our NFL guy, i.e., north Texas and middle Tennessee region.

The local beat is typically covered by less experienced guys. I've met Duarte. Super nice guy but he's a young guy and (then) admitted inexperience. He told me at camp in '02 that it was his first time to cover football and that he was a more of a "baseball guy" (he was probably still in college when the Oilers were last here in '96).

Last edited by aj.; 07-31-2004 at 08:07 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004   #6
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
I don't like other NFL teams continually getting routine and prominent features in HOUSTON Chronicle Sports. I know why they do it as I've exchanged letters with them several times. As long as I'm a subscriber and as long as I see half page articles of another team that I could care less about in my paper (that cuts into the coverage of our own team), I will continue to ***** about it. It may be futile but that's the way it goes....
and again I say ... oh never mind!

By the way, "Mr. Voice of the Fans" .. thanks for the article on the front page.
Always a great job aj.
Maybe between you and Vinny, the Chronicle could use some help from you both.. just a thought.
The best information about the Texans is always on the message boards.
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004   #7
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with Sassy. The best place for TEXAN info is right here!

I grip constantly about the lack of TEXAN coverage in the Chronicle. But, like Aj, I enjoy reading my daily newspaper. Something I have done for over 40 years. All we can do is continue to express how we feel. I truly believe the owner of the Chronicle must be a girls fan! With J. McLain being not only a girls fan, but a meatball fan as well, I do beleive we are s******!!!!! Duarte and Thompson need to get a pink slip! JMHO!!!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read