Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 11-14-2005   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Houston Texans Cookbook! Post your best recipe here:

Looking for an idea of something fun to make? Post the recipe here!

Ill start:

(This is from the food network show, everyday italian, with Giada De Laurentiis)

Mocha Semi-fredo (its like ice cream, only lighter)
Serves 8:

What you ned:

Nonstick cooking spray
8 ounces purchased amaretti cookies (about 23 cookies)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup sugar
8 large egg yolks
1/3 cup brewed espresso
2 tablespoons dry Marsala wine (Ive found this is not entirely necessary, but it does help!)
Pinch salt
1 cup whipping cream

Spray a 9 1/4 by 5 1/4 by 3-inch metal loaf pan lightly with nonstick spray. Line the pan with plastic wrap. Finely grind the cookies in a food processor (can also use a blender, and adding a teaspoon or two of almond extract really helps!). Add the melted butter and process until the crumbs are moistened. Press the crumb mixture onto the bottom of the prepared loaf pan. Refrigerate.

Whisk 1/2 cup of sugar, egg yolks, espresso, Marsala, and salt in a large metal bowl to blend. Set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (do not allow the bottom of the bowl to touch the water). Whisk the egg mixture until it is thick and creamy and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the mixture registers 160 degrees F (you don't want the eggs to scramble, so you have to be quick about whisking! you need them to cook off all the salmonella which happens at 160. you don't really need a thermometer), about 5 minutes. Set the custard over another bowl of ice to cool completely.

Using an electric mixer, beat the cream and remaining 1/4 cup sugar in another large bowl until firm peaks form. Using a large rubber spatula, fold the whipped cream into the custard. Spoon the mixture atop the prepared crust. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze until frozen, at least 8 hours or up to 3 days.

Unfold the plastic wrap. Invert the semifreddo onto a platter. Remove the plastic wrap. Cut the semifreddo into 1-inch slices and serve.

Last edited by gtexan02; 11-15-2005 at 10:21 AM.
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #2
Keldar
Veteran

Party Food!!!

Sausage Balls

1 pound lean breakfast sausage, any style you prefer
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
3 cups bisquick biscuit mix

Preheat oven to 375*F (190*C).
Combine uncooked sausage and cheese; add biscuit mix, and mix thoroughly.
Shape into 1-inch balls and place about 1 1/2-inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
Bake for 20 minutes or until browned. Place on paper towels to absorb excess oil if necessary. Serve warm.

Makes about 80 sausage balls.
Keldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would be especially interested in hearing people's chilli recipes, as I have yet to find a good one. I generally just dump in a bunch of ground sirloin, some tomatoes, some onions, kidney beans, garlic, chili powder, and paprika. It just tastes so plain
Old 11-15-2005   #4
nflnutswife
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 926 nflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respected

I have a great chili recipe, I'll PM you but i'm at work right now and the recipe is at home! You'll need a cast iron crock. ( for looks if noting else) LOL!

Last edited by nflnutswife; 11-15-2005 at 10:47 AM.
nflnutswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005   #5
gtexan02
Working?

OK since no one is posting, I'll go ahead and add another recipe. This one is for chicken marsala.

Take some flower, and to it add salt and pepper. Take very thin slices of chicken (this makes them taste more like veal), dip them in milk, and then dip them in the flower mix. Using butter, cook the dipped chicken until the outside covering is a nice brown, and the inside is white (don't overcook! they get so dry). Remove the chicken

Add a little more butter if you need it, and then add mushrooms (as many as you want). Cook the mushrooms for a while, until they lose their chewiness. Once they have cooked, add the marsala wine. When cooking 2-3 chicken breats, I usually use about a cup. Cook the wine at a low simmer for a while (make sure the alcohol burns off) and make sure to scrape the bits of brown off the bottom of the pan (from cooking the chicken). If you need to, add more flour mixture until the sauce gets a little thicker. Once it has thickened, add the chicken back in and cook it all together until its all warm, and enjoy!
Old 11-27-2005   #6
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

remove chicken from package

place chicken in seasoning package

shake, then bake...pm me if more details are needed

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005   #7
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 32635 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07
remove chicken from package

place chicken in seasoning package

shake, then bake...pm me if more details are needed
I tried it and the bag caught fire...

Old 11-28-2005   #8
TexanAlmighty
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
OK since no one is posting, I'll go ahead and add another recipe. This one is for chicken marsala.

Take some flower, and to it add salt and pepper. Take very thin slices of chicken (this makes them taste more like veal), dip them in milk, and then dip them in the flower mix. Using butter, cook the dipped chicken until the outside covering is a nice brown, and the inside is white (don't overcook! they get so dry). Remove the chicken

Add a little more butter if you need it, and then add mushrooms (as many as you want). Cook the mushrooms for a while, until they lose their chewiness. Once they have cooked, add the marsala wine. When cooking 2-3 chicken breats, I usually use about a cup. Cook the wine at a low simmer for a while (make sure the alcohol burns off) and make sure to scrape the bits of brown off the bottom of the pan (from cooking the chicken). If you need to, add more flour mixture until the sauce gets a little thicker. Once it has thickened, add the chicken back in and cook it all together until its all warm, and enjoy!
What kind of flower? Wildflower,sunflower?? JOKING
Old 11-29-2005   #9
nflnutswife
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 926 nflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would be especially interested in hearing people's chilli recipes, as I have yet to find a good one. I generally just dump in a bunch of ground sirloin, some tomatoes, some onions, kidney beans, garlic, chili powder, and paprika. It just tastes so plain
Here's one of my favorites:

You'll need 1lb of ground beef
1 lb of ground pork sausage
lg onion-chopped
2 cloves or more of garlic/finely chopped
lg bell pepper/cut into chunks
1lb of smoked sausage/chopped into bite size pieces
1tbs ground oregano
3tbs chili powder
1 tsp corriander
1 1/2 tsp celery seed
2 large jars of cut tomatos/undrained
2 large jars kidney beans but save the juice separately
1/2 cup yellow corn meal
mozzarella cheeese (for the top) shredded

in a large heavy cast iron stock pot (or whatever) brown beef, pork sausage,onion and garlic. Add bell pepper and sausage chunks continue to cook for a bit. (you can drain fat if you want) I don't. Add spices nad tomatoes (use your hands to break up or squish up the tomatoes) simmer some more and add the beans. In a bowl add some of the bean juice to the corn meal until like pancake batter consistancy and mix into the chili, this helps to hearty it up. Simmer for awhile longer and top w/ cheese when you serve it. Very good recipe I use it a lot. don't be afraid to embellish w/ whatever tickels your tongue!
Old 12-28-2005   #10
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 63539 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nflnutswife
Here's one of my favorites:

You'll need 1lb of ground beef
1 lb of ground pork sausage
lg onion-chopped
2 cloves or more of garlic/finely chopped
lg bell pepper/cut into chunks
1lb of smoked sausage/chopped into bite size pieces
1tbs ground oregano
3tbs chili powder
1 tsp corriander
1 1/2 tsp celery seed
2 large jars of cut tomatos/undrained
2 large jars kidney beans but save the juice separately
1/2 cup yellow corn meal
mozzarella cheeese (for the top) shredded
REAL Texas chili ain't got no beans in it.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005   #11
Stefunny~Bunny
Veteran

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
Funny you mention that.. When I go to James Coney i never order it with beans..

Bert Mccracken
Stefunny~Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005   #12
Beer and Metal
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20683 Beer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Real chili ain't got no tomatoes in it either.
Beer and Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #13
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer and Metal
Real chili ain't got no tomatoes in it either.
That reminds me of the time.....

I make several different chili recipes and one of my favorites happens to have beans (three different types) and tomatoes. I made a big pot at a tailgate last year and as I was serving it up, some smart a** was laughing and mouthing off about "that ain't real Texas chili, blah blah blah bblahhhh." I explained that I knew what "real" Texas chili was all about and not to worry because I wouldn't insult him by serving him any of that heathen grub. A few minutes later I stepped away but happened to glance back to my tailgate area and guess who was helping himself to a giant bowl of heathen red - along with his buddies who were going in deep for seconds...

Last edited by aj.; 12-29-2005 at 11:57 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006   #14
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Nifa Lorenzo's Salsa Verda/ Cheese & Onions

Quote:
Bull Dung. go rent Blazing Saddles. Trail Cooks used what they had on the trail. And Beans my freind was readily available...and cheap and would store.YOUR BS is a wives tell told to, for,and by Drug store Cowboys who have never been closer to a side of beef than a goercery store.

Salza Verda
Tomatililoes are in season.

1 dozen Tomatillioes, Take the outer skins off and core the pits.
Three Med. Avocadoes
1 med onion.
1 Jalapeno pepper
1 Banana or Sarano peper. What ever your crew can handle. Kids involved... I use the milder peppers.

In a medium sauce pan stew ( parch boill) prepaired Tomatillios.
Drain in Coliander in cool water. Want them soft, but not too mushy.
Prepair avacados, Chop onions and peppers.
In a blender layer: 1. Tomatillios, then prepaired Avacados. Onions & peppers.
Grade, Crush, & Blend sixty seconds each.
refrigerate untill cooled.

Serve with nice chips.

Cheese and Oinions. Great for head Colds !

Three medium onions
2 packages of 8 oz. Cracker Barrel Extra Sharp Cheddar
(Has to be Cracker Barrel, nothing that I know of substitutes.)
1 1/2 cup of milk
Ground caraway seeds to taste. (I like a lot 4 ozs.)
One loaf of french bread
2 cups of water.

Slice onions into planky strips (3/4 to an inch).
Dice Cracker Barrel into dices.

In Medium Sauce pan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil.
Add onions.Reduce heat to medium.
cook two minutes.
* Want them done, but not soggy.
Reduce heat to low.
Add milk.
Add cheese.
Add 3/4ths of carraway seed.
Stir cheese occasionally -TO CONSTANTLY, being carefull not to let cheese settle too long at the bottom of the pot. (Clean up will be a bear if you let it settle).
Slice Bread into three inch slices.
Cook for another two minutes. The cracker Barrel will litterally dissolve
into the liquid and make a wonderful soup.

Place a slice of bread into a large bowl. Laddle cheeese and onions into bowl.
Garnish with reserve Caraway.

Breaks up a head cold. You'll sleep like an angle that night.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 07-13-2006 at 11:47 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006   #15
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 63539 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete
Bull Dung.
Exactly what chili with beans taste like.
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006   #16
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have a great Chilli Chicken recipe.

Ingredients:
2 chicken breasts
Chili Powder
Couple cans tomoatoes
Sweetcorn - 1 can
Rice

Get a couple of chicken breasts, chop them into cubes.

Heat some oil in a frying pan and thrown in the chicken, at the same time mix in your chilli powder. I use a heaped teaspoon and that hits the spot.

Fry the chicken in the chilli powder, once its done add the tomatoes - I use cans of whole tomaotes and leave them whole. Add in your sweetcorn.

Serve on a bed of rice.

Last edited by mancunian; 05-20-2006 at 06:38 AM.
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007   #17
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Here's one hint about Chili:

If you know beans about chilli, there are NO beans in chilli...
Old 04-17-2007   #18
DiapHer
GO BIG RED!!!

Rep Power: 292 DiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Here's one hint about Chili:

If you know beans about chilli, there are NO beans in chilli...
Yea right!!! You just add chocolate to make yours complete
Old 04-17-2007   #19
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapHer View Post
Yea right!!! You just add chocolate to make yours complete
Do not give my secrets away Nebraska girl!!!

Next time, I will make mine.
Old 04-17-2007   #20
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Do not give my secrets away Nebraska girl!!!

Next time, I will make mine.

Don't bother Bill! Can't beat MINE!!

Secret to most GOOD chile receipts!! BEER!! IN the chili as well as OUT!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read