Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-25-2004   #1
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Holy Schmokes!! Ricky Williams Retired

Just reported on ESPN. Unreal. I hope you havn't drafted in your FFL's yet.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004   #2
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

I just was coming here to post that! I wish he'd change his mind, he had a promising future...
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004   #3
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I won't believe it until I see it coming from Ricky Williams' mouth. But it's still very strange that he would consider doing something like this.
Old 07-25-2004   #4
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6845 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Ricky Williams as in Miami Dolphins/Texas Longhorns Ricky Williams??
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004   #5
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2110
Ricky Williams as in Miami Dolphins/Texas Longhorns Ricky Williams??
Yep!!!! And they could have gotten Steven Jackson, Chris Perry, Kevin Jones, etc. in the draft if he would have told them sooner!!!! The Dolphins are screwed...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004   #6
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

this makes absolutely no sense what so ever...why retire after only 5 years...he has no bad injuries that come to mind...he's in miami of all places...why retire...there must be more to this story
Old 07-25-2004   #7
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess Ricky couldn't stand Shaq getting all the attention there so he had go make a bigger splash! hehe..
Old 07-25-2004   #8
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

espn's website says they wonder if it's like robert smith and drugs being the reason...it doesn't seem like ricky to be into drugs but who knows
Old 07-25-2004   #9
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6845 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Unbelieveable!!!

I thought this was a prank thread, and that it was Indianapolis Colts/Texas Tech Red Raiders Ricky Williams. I wonder what made him decide to retire?
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004   #10
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Ricky has always been a different kinda of dude. Of the guys in the league that would wake one morning and not want to play anymore; he tops the list of person who would join the Barry sanders and Robert Smith fraternity of I am just quitting.

Williams carried the ball a ton at UT and in his years in the pros. I respect guys who quit early(even at the wrong time) more than those who hang collecting paychecks and destroying thier bodies when the player does not have the heart to compete.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004   #11
fball
Rookie

Default Ricky Williams to retire?

What's that!!!!
fball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004   #12
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

it is shocking

- Edmund Burke

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 07-25-2004 at 03:07 AM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004   #13
HardCoreTxn
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to HardCoreTxn Send a message via MSN to HardCoreTxn Send a message via Yahoo to HardCoreTxn
Lightbulb Ricky

I think he'll be back, he's prolly pulling a Clemens and wants to come home to Texas.
HardCoreTxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004   #14
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Who has the better record this year, us or the Dolphins???
I still say the Dolphins because of there defense but they dont have a good RB and that will allow defenses to pay more attention to Chambers and Boston. But they are playing in a division with the defending champs, a good Bills team, and a Jets team with there best QB back. But you can say that we too play in a tough division. It will be intresting to see...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004   #15
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

maybe they can trade Ogunleye to the Vikings for Onterrio Smith.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004   #16
MikeMc
All Pro

Well first off, it is not Ricky's fault for the Dolphins' Brass not planning ahead. I mean Dave Wann could have figured this one out, "We give RW the ball 30-40 times a game, and all we have to fill in if he goes down is a proto-typical 3rd down back.... if something happens to Ricky, we should be ready".

So what do the Dolphins do??

Miami
Rd Sel# Player Pos. Ht. Wt. School
1 19 Carey, Vernon G 6-4 363 Miami (Fla.)
4 102 Poole, Will CB 5-10 193 Southern California
5 160 Bua, Tony SS 5-11 218 Arkansas
6 174 Hadnot, Rex C 6-2 323 Houston
7 221 Pape, Tony G 6-6 323 Michigan
7 222 Pope, Derrick ILB 6-1 226 Alabama

--makes sense, right?

Secondly, I do not feel he had to give anyone a heads up on his decision. Do you honestly think teams give players a notice to being fired? They just cut them, of course the info is usually leaked to the media three days prior so I guess they do know it is coming.

Third, if Ricky wants to chill out in Jamaica and smoke herbs, it is his business. He made his money and now he can do what he wants.

Fourth, yes the Saints gave up the 99 draft, but they did get a 1st in 2002 & 3rd in 2003 of Ricky's trade to Miami....at a more crucial time in their development towards a playoff team.

---- 2002 #25 pick - Charles Grant (DE) UGA
-----2003 #86 pick - Cie Grant (MLB) Ohio ST

What would you rather Ricky do, go out while he is at the top of his game, or do the Emmitt thing??

Which one looks more ridiculous?

People gave Robert Smith crap for retiring "early", these guys are doing the smart thing...retiring while they can still have a promising future --the ability to walk without pain or being hopped up on pain killers!

I think Ricky is a man that knows how to make responsible decisions (less the wedding dress thing). He is being the one thing that most people will never be...himself! He does not choose to run with the crowds nor does he choose to conform.

Say what you will, but you must commend him for his individuality and uniqueness......you should not condemn him for his decision to retire.
Old 07-26-2004   #17
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 159792 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc
Well first off, it is not Ricky's fault for the Dolphins' Brass not planning ahead.
I guess the Dolphins should've consulted Miss Cleo?

If you factor in Ricky's somewhat, shall we say "temperamental" attitude, it makes a little more sense NOT to spend your 1st / 2nd rounder on an RB. What if Ricky gets upset and thinks you're actively trying to replace him? So, you don't pick up an RB till the later rounds and end up with no better choices than you've got right now..(if you're Fins mgmt.)

Ricky brought this anger & resentment down on himself, no one "forced" him to make this decision THIS LATE! He has the right to do so, and the fans have the right to be p.o.'d about it.

Personally, I think it can only help the Texans....one less quality running back to face in the AFC!
disaacks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004   #18
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

It's his life and I commend him for doing what he feels is right for himself. It's too bad it has to be bad news for so many people on his team but they'll move on, find somebody else and the sun will still come up tomorrow.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004   #19
LonghornBabe
Tubin' Chic

Rep Power: 573 LonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respectedLonghornBabe is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LonghornBabe Send a message via Yahoo to LonghornBabe

Oh my gosh...please say it isn't so...I actually AGREE with something that MikeMc thinks.......

I NEVER thought I would see this day!
LonghornBabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read