Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-13-2004   #1
ROC
Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to ROC
Default What if....?

What is Jason Gildon came over to the Texans to fill in at linebacker? Wouldn't that be great? Jason's a little old, but I'd say he could do well there. This is just my opinion. Please... no flames.
ROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004   #2
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Only way I see him coming to Houston is to play for league/veteran minimum as a situational pass rusher.
Old 07-13-2004   #3
ROC
Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to ROC

I agree with that, but he also has a nose for the football. That's more than most of the linebackers on the squad.
ROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004   #4
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

I wouldnt want him. His sacks totals have decreased over the last couple of years and, more importantly, he would take away plays from Peek and Orr.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004   #5
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

I'd bring him in on a 1 year deal. same with Trotter... let the compete with our squad... at the worst they would provide depth incase of injury at best a good year by either of them is probably better than most of the linebackers on our roster. I wouldn't mind the size of the contract as long as it was short ... cause at this point there are no more significant free agents to sign. regardless i dont see us signing either of them.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004   #6
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 89551 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquescas
I'd bring him in on a 1 year deal. same with Trotter... let the compete with our squad... at the worst they would provide depth incase of injury at best a good year by either of them is probably better than most of the linebackers on our roster. I wouldn't mind the size of the contract as long as it was short ... cause at this point there are no more significant free agents to sign. regardless i dont see us signing either of them.
i agree completely ... one year of gildon could be a big boost to this club but after that he's really cutting into our younguns. we're in a position of a team that needs to solidify our status as contenders and veterans like gildon can only help that cause while we build for the future. i feel that we do have real potential with peek & orr but until they're ready (which i dont think is now) we'll need more of a push from someone experienced to get to opposing qb's.
Old 07-18-2004   #7
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

Default Gildon signs with Bills.

With Trotter going back to the eagles and Gildon going to the Bills each with 1 year deals. The best players left on the open market are gone.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-19-2004   #8
SESupergenius

I think it's easy to see why the Bills got Gildon. Or that the Bengals, Bills and Texans had some interest in him....They all had coaches that were the Steelers, Gildons former team.
Quote:
firstly, all of your sources are dated early after the june 1st cuts (june 2nd) so the information is speculative
I've seen it being reported that as far back as April Draft that Gildon was going to be cut June 1st, there were no talks with the Steelers and the date was just a formality. I doubt seriously that all the phone calls came in to his agent on June 1.
Quote:
-secondly, i would be upset if the texans hadnt at least made a phone call to the best 3-4 linebacker on the free agent market (one by the way who dom capers has personal experience with). do i need to rehash my point about the texans recieving calls from all but 4-5 teams with the henson soap opera?
That seems to be an apple and oranges kind of take. Henson was a rookie and there was really not a lot of information about him and his status for some time. He was a rookie and people were curious about his skill level. You say the all of the teams in the league except for 4-5 had some sort of interest in him by phone. But did you know that 20 teams actually showed up for his workout? That's well over half the league that actually came out and saw him workout in addition to the casual inquiries by phone.

I never said that the Texans were on a die hard mission to get this guy, all I said was that they were interested in him. I'm sure the Texans were interested him and wanted to know his asking price. You don't need to work out a player and bring him to Texas for that.
Quote:
i mentioned it because players arent always so eager to sit the bench and "learn" for a few years behind a vetran player as you suggested.
Well in this case I guess he is, because his is reporting back to the team. And here is a little snippet from Billy Miller with the signing of old-man Bruener, "I think it's great that they brought Bruener in," Miller said. "Mark has taught me some things that have helped me become a better tight end."

Quote:
his tackles have decreased.
No, you are wrong. Last year he had 42 combined tackles. He had the same amount in 2001 and 1999 and better than 1997 and 1998. That is a fact. source=nfl.com

Quote:
a. sharper's fine no consideration here
b. babin a rookie (?)- already a question until we see how he plays
c. wong (?)- now hes not just flipped sides on the field but suddenly hes moved inside where hes never played before
d. gildon (?)-you suggested he move from strong side to weak side on a team hes never played with before

all of a sudden the linebacking core is in complete disarray specifically because of the addition of gildon
I agree on Sharper and Babin. Wong used to be a middle linebacker with the Vikes. So its not that great of a switch as you suggest. I suggest gildon play on the strong side where he's always played. I don't think I've ever mentioned Gildon on the week side. But if the Texans feels Wong can do it, no reason to think Gildon couln't.
Quote:
if you'd perfer the texans bench babin in favor of gildon, thats in direct contrast to what the texans have done in their brief history...
Absolutely, I disagree with most of "trial by fire" insertions that the Texans coaches have done. I'm a rebel that way. I've always liked a QB to sit for some time on the bench and learn a bit. Most teams have done it that way. Aside from HB and CB I think a rookie should be brought along slower at other positions. So yes I do disagree with that. How much did Carr learn while on his back? Ask Aikman if he thinks he should have sat early in his career.

You see Babin as a 10 sack guy his rookie year learning a new position in the nfl. I saw Gildon as just someone to help him along as most of the Steelers great LB's have done in the past. Rookies LB's just don't produce like vets do in the 3-4, this is a fact.
Old 07-19-2004   #9
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89407 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

lmao. wow. somehow now i feel complete...i've something to argue again.
tommorow...

and thank you.

still arguing the issue after its dead...stubborn. i like that.

Last edited by powda; 07-19-2004 at 08:54 PM.
powda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004   #10
SESupergenius

What better way to kill the time before training camp!
Old 07-20-2004   #11
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89407 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
I think it's easy to see why the Bills got Gildon. Or that the Bengals, Bills and Texans had some interest in him....They all had coaches that were the Steelers, Gildons former team.

your claiming the texans were after gildon because we have a coach that used to be with the steelers? how many teams have former steelers coaches on their staff that didnt pursue gildon? i'll wager its more. and either way does it really have any relevance to wether or not the texans were indeed after gildon? i think not.

Quote:
I've seen it being reported that as far back as April Draft that Gildon was going to be cut June 1st, there were no talks with the Steelers and the date was just a formality. I doubt seriously that all the phone calls came in to his agent on June 1.

so all of my sources are worth doubting ,but yours should be etched in stone?
you have one source that says the texans made a phone call and even in the context of the quote it says they called him the previous day (june 1st). thats great and no surprise considering the texans are one of the few 3-4 teams. to some schmoe in b.f.e. it probably would make sense that the texans might be a contender for gildon so why not spotlight the texans as opposed to another 15 teams? but the bottom line is TEAMS CALL. why do you think pro teams send scouts to places like alcorn st? they dont want to miss out on a prospect because their not informed. once again, you do not have a source that says the texans ever attempted to negotiate a contract or even invited gildon to houston. i've provided you with numerous sources that say other teams did just that.

Quote:
I never said that the Texans were on a die hard mission to get this guy, all I said was that they were interested in him.

vaguley, im reminded of a former president who so boldly asked, "what is is?"

will you at least agree with me theres a distinct diffrence between an inquiry (basic contract guidelines, and player intrest) versus an active attempt to sign a player (come visist buffalo, tour our facilities, meet the players and coaching staff, we'll give you an idea of how we invision you in our defense, and bring your agent because we're ready to talk about how much we want to pay you, and we want to put it on paper as a contract).

and henson may be an extreme example ,but it is still a look into how the buisness works...so no, i wouldnt call it apples to oranges.

(antonio bryant must be willing to sit the bench)
Quote:
Well in this case I guess he is, because his is reporting back to the team.
he's eager to sit the bench because he hasnt retired or held out in demand of a trade? thats in direct contrast to attacking your coach. actions do speak louder then words.

Quote:
Absolutely, I disagree with most of "trial by fire" insertions that the Texans coaches have done. I'm a rebel that way.
and i havent agreed with the texans drafting injured player after injured player ,but my opinion will have no effect on what the team does. they've dislayed a tendency in their short history to do the opposite of what you'd like to see them do. i think its unrealistic to expect them to change that now especially when it means they have to bench a first round pick in favor of a 2 year stop gap like gildon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda
his tackles have decreased
Quote:
No, you are wrong.

year. team. gm. (total tackles) tackles sacks
2002 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 67 45.0 9
2003 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 61 42.0 6
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/3501

wow that same source shows just the opposite of what you claim. i see a decrease in tackles (as well as sacks). can we agree its deffinitley not an increase in tackles?

do i think gildon could probably help the team this year? yes. do i think he's a short term solution to a long term problem? yes. do i think gildon ripping away playing time from babin would hurt babin's development more then it would help him? uhhhhhhh, yes!

Quote:
You see Babin as a 10 sack guy his rookie year learning a new position in the nfl.
i never suggested babin would put up any numbers in particular. what i did suggest was overall babin has a higher celing then gildon at this point in his career. gildon might very well put up much better numbers then babin this year ,but after that i think its no contest. gildon is comming into his 11th year! hes not a kicker or a punter or a quarterback or a mascot. hes a linebacker. i'll give him points for longevity ,but i dont see him performing at a productive level for much longer. can you say that about babin?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read