Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Thumbs up or down on Tom Savage at 4.135
Up 112 83.58%
Down 22 16.42%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2014   #1
pappy
Veteran

Rep Power: 3248 pappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Selection 4.135: Tom Savage QB

this the qb ?
Old 05-10-2014   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 201896 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: savage

research his history and stats before you condemn him. Has the physicals and could be taught.
Old 05-10-2014   #3
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I LIKE!!!!!
Old 05-10-2014   #4
pappy
Veteran

Rep Power: 3248 pappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
research his history and stats before you condemn him. Has the physicals and could be taught.
No condemnation good or bad but have seen some who said he is a statue aka Brady .
Old 05-10-2014   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Selection 4.135: Tom Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
His history and stats are weak. Better to concentrate on the fact that O'Brien likes him. Savage had a great pro day. I guess that means something around here. I'm just glad it was a late 4th, and not an early 2nd round pick.
Old 05-10-2014   #6
texan_joe
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 texan_joe is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan_joe is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan_joe is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan_joe is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan_joe is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan_joe is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan_joe is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan_joe is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan_joe is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan_joe is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan_joe is a quality contributor and well respected

I like it. I was hoping Thomas would've fell to us, but I can live with Savage. Great draft so far.
Old 05-10-2014   #7
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 133852 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
His history and stats are weak. Better to concentrate on the fact that O'Brien likes him. Savage had a great pro day. I guess that means something around here. I'm just glad it was a late 4th, and not an early 2nd round pick.
Of course it means something. If you look back on every draft we have the typical folks in here swear up and down that we have an amazing draft every year despite our losing history. I've heard that same line stating "If Kubiak likes this guy then I'm sold" stuff a Million times. Did you not expect it in this draft? Of course you did.

I don't know much about the kid. Hopefully he is just depth and can sit behind Keenum/Fitzpatrick.
Sponsored links
Old 05-10-2014   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 201896 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Gonna disagree with you; look at stats after being off a year. He just needs good coaching and consistency.

Quote:
Savage enrolled at Rutgers University in 2009, and after Rutgers opened the season with a loss to Cincinnati, he was named the starting quarterback. He led the team to a 9-4 record. During his freshman year at Rutgers, Savage passed for 2,211 yards and 14 touchdowns, while throwing only 7 interceptions. In arguably his best game of the year, he completed 14 of 27 passes for a season-high 294 yards and 2 touchdowns against the University of Central Florida in the 2009 St. Petersburg Bowl.[2] He was named on the All-American Freshman Team by the Football Writers Association of America.[3]

In 2010, Savage threw for 521 passing yards, two touchdowns, and three interceptions.[4] Early in the season, he was sidelined by an injury to his hand and replaced with freshman quarterback Chas Dodd. Dodd remained the starting QB based on his performance against Connecticut in his first ever start. On January 8, 2011, Savage announced he would be transferring from Rutgers University.[5] Rutgers granted Savage a conditional release. In February 2011 he announced that he was transferring to Arizona. He would have had to sit out the 2011 season due to NCAA transfer rules but would be eligible to play in 2012.[6]

Late in 2011, Savage announced that he would be leaving Arizona. This move followed the announcement that Arizona had hired Rich Rodriguez as Head Coach. In June Savage announced via his Twitter page that he would be transferring to Pittsburgh where he redshirted in 2012.[7] Savage initially wanted to play at Rutgers again; however a hardship waiver was denied by the NCAA.

On August 14, 2013, Pitt head coach Paul Chryst officially named Savage the starting quarterback for the 2013 season opener against Florida State.[8] For the season he passed for 2,958 yards and 21 touchdowns.

References[edit]
Jump up ^
Old 05-10-2014   #9
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 173001 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2014tsavage.php

Quote:
Strengths:
Strong arm
Pocket presence
Height to see the field well
Ability to spin the ball
Can make all the throws
Can fit the ball into tight windows
Good mechanics
Quick release
Good size, height and bulk
Willing to run
Experience in a pro-style offense
Upside

Weaknesses:
Questions about his commitment, intangibles
Must improve his ability to work through progressions
Lacks mobility
Not a true dual-threat quarterback
Raw
Inconsistent
Needs to improve accuracy
Needs to improve footwork
Only played two seasons
Sat out two seasons due to transferring twice
Had a concussion in college

Player Comparison: Chad Henne. If Savage develops, he looks like he could become a better version of Henne (6-4, 230). Both of them are thick pocket passers with the arms to make the necessary throws. They can be inconsistent with accuracy and decision-making. Henne was a second-round pick by Miami, and Savage could easily go on the second day of the 2014 NFL Draft.
Tom Savage | 2013 Highlights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjf78sZxrfU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
Old 05-10-2014   #10
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 57418 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Boooooooo. :p
Old 05-10-2014   #11
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

This is THE guy OB wanted.

Worked him out a lot at his Pro Day.

Some of the guys on the board were expecting us to draft him at 33.

I've got no problem with this pick.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
Old 05-10-2014   #12
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

If OB likes him.........
Old 05-10-2014   #13
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 44165 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected

stupid nfl network put commercials right when texans were picking -.-

qb at last, let's hope he is the right choice
Old 05-10-2014   #14
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I love this pick. I mentioned him being a possible sleeper in my mock. I'm really liking the entire draft so far.
Old 05-11-2014   #15
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
stupid nfl network put commercials right when texans were picking -.-

qb at last, let's hope he is the right choice
this happens every time every year its like Texans didn't pay something to the NFL to were they do this on purpose LOL
Old 05-10-2014   #16
Txn_in_FL
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 33753 Txn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respected

Is this a pick? It's 0300 in the morning in Okinawa and I'm a tad lit right now. This was a pick by some people.
Old 05-10-2014   #17
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Another good pick, IMO. Big, strong-armed QB that can be molded into a starter. I dont think he starts this year, but stranger things have happened.
Old 05-10-2014   #18
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 44165 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txn_in_Oki View Post
Is this a pick? It's 0300 in the morning in Okinawa and I'm a tad lit right now. This was a pick by some people.
yes, it's our 4th round pick

I also needed some time to be sure
Old 05-10-2014   #19
Txn_in_FL
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 33753 Txn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respected

Just found the draft on tv… wow, McCarron still on the board. In Obie we trust I guess. Has been a great draft so far, let's see how this pans out.
Old 05-10-2014   #20
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 59860 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

For what it's worth (cue Buffalo Springfield) this was Mel Kiper's 4th rated QB and OB's boy. Jump for joy!

"There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear... young people carrying signs, mostly saying, hooray for our side..."
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read