Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-12-2014   #1
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Steel B's Mock 2.0

Rd.1 Jadeveon -DE/OLB South Carolina,6'5, 266 Lbs, 4.5- It came down to Clowney or Robinson and the thought of pairing Clowney with Watt was to great to turn down. Pairing the explosive Clowney with Watt helps greatly improve the Texans anemic pass rush.

2. Jimmy Garappolo- QB Eastern Illinois, 6'2, 225 Lbs, 4.9. Garappolo has a strong arm/quick release and is a great decision maker. He moves around very well, which is what won me over when it came to 2nd tier prospects like Murray/Mettenberger/Savage.

3. Marcus Martin- C/OG USC, 6'3, 320 Lbs, 5.2, Martin played OG before moving to C last yr. He will start off at OG for a couple of yrs the replace Myers at C., like the Seahawks did with Unger. Martin is a big athletic Mauler who when put next to D.Brown helps solve the 3rd &short/red zone woes. This puts Ques where he belongs at his natural OT position. Martin is every bit as good as the more highly rated Fu'a -Filo. IMHO A steal in the 3rd rd.

4. Jordan Zumwalt- ILB/OLB UCLA 6'4 235, 4.7- Zumwalt is a fast instinctive ILB who's intensity makes him a great pairing with Cushing. He's what the Texans have been missing next o Cushing for yrs. A sure tackler who has good enough speed/instinct to cover the TE. The other great thing about drafting Zumwalt is he played in a pro style 3-4 under Mora at UCLA so there should be less of a learning curve.

4. Daniel McCullers- DE/NT Tennessee, 6'6 352 Lbs, 5.2- McCullers is a huge man who was miscast as a NT in college. Being a huge man he was asked to play too many snaps and wore down as games got into the 4th qter. He's too tall to play NT in the NFL but will make a great 5 tech in RAC's defense. MCullers holds up great against the double teams allowing Cushing, Zumwalt/Clowney/Reed to roam. He' also should make a great pairing with Watt batting down passes. I also considered Taylor Hart here, a big high motor/ athletic guy.

5. Micheal Campanaro- WR Wake Forest, 5'9 193 LBS 4.5, BOB gets his Wes Welker for the Texans offense. Campanaro is a fast/shifty slot WR who ran in the high 4.4's at the combine. He also has great hands. He also can KR/PR. Sounds a lot like Welker too me.

6. Beau Allen- NT Wisconsin, 6'3 333 Lbs, 5.2- Allen is a claasic run stuffing NT. He is strong against double teams and consistently holds up against the run. Allen isn't a pass rusher but has a good 1st step for such a big man. Allen/Powe give the Texans the big NT's that fans have been wanting tor yrs. Finally the NT's will keep Cushing/Zumwalt clean.

6. Matt Patchan- OT/OG Boston College 6'6 302 LBS, 5.0- Patchan was a highly decorated OL coming out of high school. He went to Miami and got hurt, transferred to Boston College and got hurt again in an offseason motorcycle accident. He was finally healthy for his Sr yr and helped pave the way for Andre Williams phenominal yr. Patchan is as gifted as any OL in this draft but has had 2 ACL surgeries in his college career. I really like him and would be willing to trade up into the 5th rd to get him. If he stays healthy you get a 5th rd starter. He's that good, well worth the risk. High character guy.

7. Demetri Goodson- CB Baylor 5'11, 194 Lbs, 4.4- Goodson is a former basketball player who played really well for Art Briles last yr. he's got good speed and can turn his hips and run, an upgrade over McCain as the nickel CB. Since Goodson is new to playing football I chose him at this spot because I think he has the most upside of any of the CB's left on the board. At the very least he will help upgrade a putrid ST's. Plus bringing a talent hometown guy home can never be a bad thing?

This draft fills most of the holes and adds badly needed speed to the team. I would also like to add a speedy 3rd down RB like LaDarius Perkins to the mix but couldn't find a spot for him. Maybe Rick can sign him or George Atkinson III as FA's.

I put a lot of thought into this mock and all feedback would be greatly appreciated. Let the critiques begin.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Steel B's Mock 2.0

Was there an unspoken trade(s) in there somewhere? - you are two picks short. You could use one on that TE who may drop due to drug use iirc, name escapes me at the moment.

A 352 lb DE who wears down? We'd have the heaviest front 3 in the NFL.

Were Patchan's surgeries both on the same knee or one on each?

I haven't been paying attention - is there a kicker worth spending the Mr. Irrelevant pick on?
Old 04-12-2014   #3
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Was there an unspoken trade(s) in there somewhere? - you are two picks short. You could use one on that TE who may drop due to drug use iirc, name escapes me at the moment.

A 352 lb DE who wears down? We'd have the heaviest front 3 in the NFL.

Were Patchan's surgeries both on the same knee or one on each?

I haven't been paying attention - is there a kicker worth spending the Mr. Irrelevant pick on?
What' rds were the extra picks that I missed in? In this case give me Colt Lyerla TE Oregon and Ladarius Perkins with the extra picks.

I don't worry about a 352 Lbs 5 tech, he will hold up against the run and keep the OLB's clean. Rushing the passer isn't a requirement for a 5 tech As far as wearing down goes I think McCullers will be very effective playing 50 snaps a game. instead of the 75-80 they asked him to play at Tennesseee. Like Bum Phillips once said about Bob Young as he got older, would you rather have a great player playing 3 qters or an avg player playing 4 qters? With Crick subbing in for Watt and McCullers and Allen subbing in for Powe the DL should stay fresh thoughout the game. This was one of the biggest problems with the Texans defense last yr. IMHO

I read one of CND's posts in another thread and I believe Patchan has injured both knees.
Old 04-12-2014   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

I should have said overall, and especially with the other two picks, really like the draft. I'd put Watkins in over Clowney but despite what some may think I am not going to throw anything if Clowney (or for that matter Robinson) are selected.
Old 04-12-2014   #5
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I should have said overall, and especially with the other two picks, really like the draft. I'd put Watkins in over Clowney but despite what some may think I am not going to throw anything if Clowney (or for that matter Robinson) are selected.
I'm in this boat, whoever they pick minus Teddy, I will be happy with the pick. The fine china will remain safe. LOL
Old 04-12-2014   #6
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Missed a 6th and 7th.

Good logic behind the draft.

Not totally sold on Garoppolo yet but what do I know.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Rd.1 Jadeveon -DE/OLB South Carolina

2. Jimmy Garappolo- QB Eastern Illinois

3. Marcus Martin- C/OG USC

4. Jordan Zumwalt- ILB/OLB

4. Daniel McCullers- DE/NT Tennessee

5. Micheal Campanaro- WR Wake Forest

6. Beau Allen- NT Wisconsin

6. Matt Patchan- OT/OG Boston College

7. Demetri Goodson- CB Baylor
Hell Yeah!!

I can dig it. Watt, Clowney, McCullers.....
Old 04-12-2014   #8
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Hell Yeah!!

I can dig it. Watt, Clowney, McCullers.....

Yep,

With McCullers and Allen you would have a great run defense. On 3rd and longs you could go with a 4-3 look of Mercilus/Crick/Watt/Clowney. That should provide the pass rush that's been missing. The defense would also be very scheme diverse. The only thing the defense would be missing would be a 3rd CB and I think you could pick up a vet min guy like Rashean Mathis to fill that role.
Old 04-12-2014   #9
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Rd.1 Jadeveon -DE/OLB South Carolina
2. Jimmy Garappolo- QB Eastern Illinois
3. Marcus Martin- C/OG USC
4. Jordan Zumwalt- ILB/OLB
4. Daniel McCullers- DE/NT Tennessee
5. Micheal Campanaro- WR Wake Forest
6. Beau Allen- NT Wisconsin
6. Matt Patchan- OT/OG Boston College
7. Demetri Goodson- CB Baylor
No OT until the 6th??
and I thought I had you on the Robinson bandwagon
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014   #10
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
No OT until the 6th??
and I thought I had you on the Robinson bandwagon
I wavered back and forth between Robinson and Clowney. What do you think of the mock? I like Martin a lot too and think he will be there at 3-1. He's a mauler and the thought of Martin and Brown on the left side is very appealing. I also see Ques as a huge upgrade at RT. Just because Kubiak saw Ques as a LG doesn't mean BOB does. Patchan is as talented as any OT in this draft not named Robinson.
Old 04-13-2014   #11
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 76577 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Rd.1 Jadeveon -DE/OLB South Carolina,6'5, 266 Lbs, 4.5- It came down to Clowney or Robinson and the thought of pairing Clowney with Watt was to great to turn down. Pairing the explosive Clowney with Watt helps greatly improve the Texans anemic pass rush.

2. Jimmy Garappolo- QB Eastern Illinois, 6'2, 225 Lbs, 4.9. Garappolo has a strong arm/quick release and is a great decision maker. He moves around very well, which is what won me over when it came to 2nd tier prospects like Murray/Mettenberger/Savage.

3. Marcus Martin- C/OG USC, 6'3, 320 Lbs, 5.2, Martin played OG before moving to C last yr. He will start off at OG for a couple of yrs the replace Myers at C., like the Seahawks did with Unger. Martin is a big athletic Mauler who when put next to D.Brown helps solve the 3rd &short/red zone woes. This puts Ques where he belongs at his natural OT position. Martin is every bit as good as the more highly rated Fu'a -Filo. IMHO A steal in the 3rd rd.

4. Jordan Zumwalt- ILB/OLB UCLA 6'4 235, 4.7- Zumwalt is a fast instinctive ILB who's intensity makes him a great pairing with Cushing. He's what the Texans have been missing next o Cushing for yrs. A sure tackler who has good enough speed/instinct to cover the TE. The other great thing about drafting Zumwalt is he played in a pro style 3-4 under Mora at UCLA so there should be less of a learning curve.

4. Daniel McCullers- DE/NT Tennessee, 6'6 352 Lbs, 5.2- McCullers is a huge man who was miscast as a NT in college. Being a huge man he was asked to play too many snaps and wore down as games got into the 4th qter. He's too tall to play NT in the NFL but will make a great 5 tech in RAC's defense. MCullers holds up great against the double teams allowing Cushing, Zumwalt/Clowney/Reed to roam. He' also should make a great pairing with Watt batting down passes. I also considered Taylor Hart here, a big high motor/ athletic guy.

5. Micheal Campanaro- WR Wake Forest, 5'9 193 LBS 4.5, BOB gets his Wes Welker for the Texans offense. Campanaro is a fast/shifty slot WR who ran in the high 4.4's at the combine. He also has great hands. He also can KR/PR. Sounds a lot like Welker too me.

6. Beau Allen- NT Wisconsin, 6'3 333 Lbs, 5.2- Allen is a claasic run stuffing NT. He is strong against double teams and consistently holds up against the run. Allen isn't a pass rusher but has a good 1st step for such a big man. Allen/Powe give the Texans the big NT's that fans have been wanting tor yrs. Finally the NT's will keep Cushing/Zumwalt clean.

6. Matt Patchan- OT/OG Boston College 6'6 302 LBS, 5.0- Patchan was a highly decorated OL coming out of high school. He went to Miami and got hurt, transferred to Boston College and got hurt again in an offseason motorcycle accident. He was finally healthy for his Sr yr and helped pave the way for Andre Williams phenominal yr. Patchan is as gifted as any OL in this draft but has had 2 ACL surgeries in his college career. I really like him and would be willing to trade up into the 5th rd to get him. If he stays healthy you get a 5th rd starter. He's that good, well worth the risk. High character guy.

7. Demetri Goodson- CB Baylor 5'11, 194 Lbs, 4.4- Goodson is a former basketball player who played really well for Art Briles last yr. he's got good speed and can turn his hips and run, an upgrade over McCain as the nickel CB. Since Goodson is new to playing football I chose him at this spot because I think he has the most upside of any of the CB's left on the board. At the very least he will help upgrade a putrid ST's. Plus bringing a talent hometown guy home can never be a bad thing?

This draft fills most of the holes and adds badly needed speed to the team. I would also like to add a speedy 3rd down RB like LaDarius Perkins to the mix but couldn't find a spot for him. Maybe Rick can sign him or George Atkinson III as FA's.

I put a lot of thought into this mock and all feedback would be greatly appreciated. Let the critiques begin.
I'm still leary of Clowney. Will he play to his potential of clown the team that drafts him?

Not too long ago Garappolo was a late round pick and has been rocketing up the boards. What's really changed?

Martin and Zumwalt are great picks. Like both picks, especially Zumwalt.

Micheal Campanaro- WR Wake Forest. Love this pick. Do you think he'll still be available in the 5th? I have doubts about that.

Like the Allen pick. He fit's Rac's system.

Didn't get to watch Patchan really but what I've read reflects your take as well. Decent gamble with possible high return.

Don't have a feel for Goodson but I know you've done your homework.

Overall great effort. If it were to turn out like this I'd be very pleased with most of it and hope Clowney clowns me.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014   #12
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I'm still leary of Clowney. Will he play to his potential of clown the team that drafts him?

Not too long ago Garappolo was a late round pick and has been rocketing up the boards. What's really changed?

Martin and Zumwalt are great picks. Like both picks, especially Zumwalt.

Micheal Campanaro- WR Wake Forest. Love this pick. Do you think he'll still be available in the 5th? I have doubts about that.

Like the Allen pick. He fit's Rac's system.

Didn't get to watch Patchan really but what I've read reflects your take as well. Decent gamble with possible high return.

Don't have a feel for Goodson but I know you've done your homework.

Overall great effort. If it were to turn out like this I'd be very pleased with most of it and hope Clowney clowns me.
1. Clowney Clowns OT's
2. Garappolo- I didn't know much about him. But I had heard about him and thought he was just another small school guy. After watching him in the East/West game (He was MVP) that earned him a trip to the Sr Bowl (Where he aquitted himself quite well) I did more studying on him and think he's got as much potential as the big 3. Put it this way, What do the big 3 do that Garappolo cant?

1.Arm strength- it's on par with Bortles/Manziel, better than TB.
2.Mobility - He's as mobile as Bortles and TB, less than JM.
3.Decision making- 52-9 even against lesser competition shows me he's a good decision maker. He makes decisions faster than JM/Bortles and is on par with TB.
4. Accuracy- On par with all of the big 3. I think he's more accurate than TB because he hits receivers in stride better. I know Garappolo is more accurate than Bortles.

In short the reason Garappolo ranked so low beforehand and is currently underrated IHMO, is because he went to a small school.
Old 04-16-2014   #13
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
1. Clowney Clowns OT's
2. Garappolo- I didn't know much about him. But I had heard about him and thought he was just another small school guy. After watching him in the East/West game (He was MVP) that earned him a trip to the Sr Bowl (Where he aquitted himself quite well) I did more studying on him and think he's got as much potential as the big 3. Put it this way, What do the big 3 do that Garappolo cant?

1.Arm strength- it's on par with Bortles/Manziel, better than TB.
2.Mobility - He's as mobile as Bortles and TB, less than JM.
3.Decision making- 52-9 even against lesser competition shows me he's a good decision maker. He makes decisions faster than JM/Bortles and is on par with TB.
4. Accuracy- On par with all of the big 3. I think he's more accurate than TB because he hits receivers in stride better. I know Garappolo is more accurate than Bortles.

In short the reason Garappolo ranked so low beforehand and is currently underrated IHMO, is because he went to a small school.
So why did Big Ben go 9th and could've went 4th and Flacco went 18th if it was small school holding him back? I'm not sure how many games you've watched,but imo,he's case keenum. His pocket awareness is poor and he throws a lot of passes behind the los. His release is top end,his arm is avg at best during games and facing pressure. He falls down on throws when under duress. Carry on
Old 04-16-2014   #14
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
So why did Big Ben go 9th and could've went 4th and Flacco went 18th if it was small school holding him back? I'm not sure how many games you've watched,but imo,he's case keenum. His pocket awareness is poor and he throws a lot of passes behind the los. His release is top end,his arm is avg at best during games and facing pressure. He falls down on throws when under duress. Carry on
The 2 all star game and a little bit of tape.

Are you saying his issues are unfixable?

I read reports about the pressure thingy, but I didn't see the issues mentioned very often. Sometimes but not often. He certainly didn't look like Carr. IMHO
Old 04-16-2014   #15
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
The 2 all star game and a little bit of tape.

Are you saying his issues are unfixable?

I read reports about the pressure thingy, but I didn't see the issues mentioned very often. Sometimes but not often. He certainly didn't look like Carr. IMHO
When you see guys coming out of college with poor pocket presence,they normally have it in nfl also. To me,pocket presence is instincts. Just like pgs in basketball,rb,mlb,and qb, they have to have a high level of natural instincts. Tanneyhill,gabbert,and bradford are a few guys recently who came out that had pocket prsence and pressure issues and they're still there. If tahj boyd didn't run out of as many sacks as he ran into,he would be rated a lot higher. There is something to be said of qbs who get sacked or curl up because they can't feel pressure. Big Ben and Rodgers have great pocket presence even though they get sacked often. They get sacked holding the ball making big plays vs tanneyhill,bradford,and gabbert getting sacked because they don't climb,short step,or slide inside the pocket.
Old 04-16-2014   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 49476 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Under pressure Garappolo does seem to go into panic mode taking his mechanics along with it. otherwise he looks clean in the pocket, assuming there is a pocket. not facing better competition does worry me a bit in his case because in the he will be facing players both bigger & faster. Ben was money in College, hindsight now but Texans should have taken him with 10th pick. Not elusive, but tough, climbs the pocket with excellent awareness & footwork. Flacco always had a gun, size & strength, ironically Texans passed on him too, trading the pick to Baltimore. Would you say both where worth their respective picks if not much, much higher, you could say Steelers & Ravens stole them. Bortles is somewhere in between the two. Not going to steal him with the first overall pick but you could be getting the right guy for a change & that is worth a whole lot Garappolo not so much, just don't see his ceiling as opposed to his floor. Still got to give it to SB for seeking value in a must have position

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Under pressure Garappolo does seem to go into panic mode taking his mechanics along with it. otherwise he looks clean in the pocket, assuming there is a pocket. not facing better competition does worry me a bit in his case because in the he will be facing players both bigger & faster. Ben was money in College, hindsight now but Texans should have taken him with 10th pick. Not elusive, but tough, climbs the pocket with excellent awareness & footwork. Flacco always had a gun, size & strength, ironically Texans passed on him too, trading the pick to Baltimore. Would you say both where worth their respective picks if not much, much higher, you could say Steelers & Ravens stole them. Bortles is somewhere in between the two. Not going to steal him with the first overall pick but you could be getting the right guy for a change & that is worth a whole lot Garappolo not so much, just don't see his ceiling as opposed to his floor. Still got to give it to SB for seeking value in a must have position
Sounds like you prefer a Mettenberger/Savage type pick at 2-1.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read