Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-21-2014   #1
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Rank Team Needs.

The talk in the rebuilding thread got me to thinking about which needs have a higher priority.

I think it starts at QB , but that's pretty obvious. There is a lack of bodies along the defensive line (Watt , Crick & Powe). The OL has some holes too , especially RT and to a lesser extent LG.
Cant forget about ILB and the secondary either. That nickel CB is a starter ....

Here's my list. Obviously some get filled thru the draft but the rest need attention after the draft with bargain FA's , kinda like Mays last year.

QB - Fitzpatrick , Keenum & Yates. I don't see a starter for a contending team.

DE - Watt & .....

CB - That Nickel corner is a starter. Seriously lacking talent behind KJax and JJo.

DT/NT Only one on the roster.

RT - Newton was just bad last year. Harris is gone (for now). Neither of last years rookies contributed and finished the season on IR. The Andrew Gardner project should be over. If you think Quessenberry or B.Williams will contribute the need is less critical.

RB - Tate gone , Foster coming off of an injury riddled season. Had street FA's toting the rock late in the season. If Foster is healthy there isn't much concern for anything but a backup.

ILB - Cushing & who ? Maybe Tuggle contributes ?? Reed moves inside making a hole at OLB ??

WR & TE probably belong on the list. Not much talent behind #80 , Hopkins & Posey when healthy. Graham looks capable & Griffin showed well but neither are traditional blocking TE's.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rank Team Needs.

Qb

rt, de, ilb, nb

nt, rb
Old 03-21-2014   #3
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 40560 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Qb

rt, de, ilb, nb

nt, rb
I would add TE to the 2nd group and OLB to the third group.
Old 03-21-2014   #4
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

We need 20+ players, imo... BPA.

QB, DE, SCB, RT, NT, rush OLB, big ILB, LG, Slot WR, RBs, SS, LG, and depth across majority of these and other positions plus quality move and Y TEs with an eye on replacing #1 WR, C, CB.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

1. QB.. I don't see a future with what we've got
  2. RT... maybe he's on the roster, Q or Brennan, maybe not
  3. TE.... again, maybe on the Roster, doubt it
  4. WR... I still got hope for Posey, but it's running out
  5. RB... the one thing I did like about Tate, was that I thought he pushed Foster. I hate that it's got to be that way, but I think Foster works better with competing against someone on our team
  6. K... I don't trust the Hobbit
  7. ILB... Batman needs a Robin
  8. SS... I miss Glover. I hope DJ works out & Crennel's defense helps him shine
  9. OLB... if our DEs play as 2 gap defenders over the OT, maybe Brooks & Whitney can be who we need them to be

Defense beat Peyton Manning the last two years... but putting pressure on him to score was just as important as chasing him off his spot & harassing his receivers.

I don't think we'll be contending for a Super Bowl next year, but I'd rather start on our offense in 2014 since it takes longer for an offense to mature. We can add 3 or 4 defensive players in 2015 & they can start kicking butt right away.... and our offense will pull it's own weight.

I believe if we add our defensive pieces now, their efforts will be wasted as we struggle to score 16 points. Then add a few offensive pieces in 2015 & they still not gel until it's too late in the season to mean anything.
Old 03-21-2014   #6
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Catching up on today's television chatter about the Schaub trade (and Fitz)...

What does it mean for the Raiders?
The Raiders do not need to take a QB at pick #5 now, there's no QB worth top 5 pick.
What does it mean for the Texans?
The Texans will be taking Blake Bortles #1.

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014   #7
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 72571 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Qb

rt, de, ilb, nb

nt, rb
What is an nb? nickel back?
Old 03-23-2014   #8
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I'm pretty sure it does. I agree with all of his choices as well. I'd also add OG and OLB as well.
Old 03-23-2014   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I'm pretty sure it does. I agree with all of his choices as well. I'd also add OG and OLB as well.
You are both correct.
Old 03-23-2014   #10
ljhog
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 ljhog is a quality contributor and well respectedljhog is a quality contributor and well respectedljhog is a quality contributor and well respectedljhog is a quality contributor and well respectedljhog is a quality contributor and well respectedljhog is a quality contributor and well respectedljhog is a quality contributor and well respectedljhog is a quality contributor and well respectedljhog is a quality contributor and well respectedljhog is a quality contributor and well respectedljhog is a quality contributor and well respected

The NFL is a QB league. Go get Ryan Mallett from NE.
ljhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014   #11
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 7152 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Qb

olb

fs
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #12
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljhog View Post
The NFL is a QB league. Go get Ryan Mallett from NE.
Damn near everyone in this thread realizes that QB is the most obvious need , there is a 47 page thread on "who's your QB" .... what about the rest of the teams needs ?? That's the discussion here ....

Old 03-24-2014   #13
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 22499 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected

what about center?

we just have 1 right?
Old 03-24-2014   #14
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 89551 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
what about center?

we just have 1 right?
ben jones is the backup interior lineman, best suited to play center.
Old 03-24-2014   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
what about center?

we just have 1 right?
Ben Jones was arguably the best center of his draft class.
Old 03-24-2014   #16
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Ben Jones was arguably the best center of his draft class.
Yeah , I think Center is one of the few positions this team is solid at with Myers and Jones. Maybe Safety as I like Keo more than most , think he played well when given the opportunity. With he , Swearinger , Manning and the recent signing of Kendrick Lewis they wont have to add another body there.

Damn near every other position needs some help , from starter to depth.

Old 04-09-2014   #17
Pitbull 56
Rookie

Section: My LazyBoy.
Rep Power: 0 Pitbull 56 is a quality contributor and well respectedPitbull 56 is a quality contributor and well respectedPitbull 56 is a quality contributor and well respectedPitbull 56 is a quality contributor and well respectedPitbull 56 is a quality contributor and well respectedPitbull 56 is a quality contributor and well respectedPitbull 56 is a quality contributor and well respectedPitbull 56 is a quality contributor and well respectedPitbull 56 is a quality contributor and well respectedPitbull 56 is a quality contributor and well respectedPitbull 56 is a quality contributor and well respected

QB.

ILB.

DE.

I don't think there is a QB in the 14 class worth the 1st pick with that being said, I would have to roll with Clowney. Hopefully, McCarron falls to the 3rd.

Pitbull 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014   #18
Texas Nomad
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Texas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas Nomad is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull 56 View Post
QB.

ILB.

DE.

I don't think there is a QB in the 14 class worth the 1st pick with that being said, I would have to roll with Clowney. Hopefully, McCarron falls to the 3rd.

Congrats on the new grandchild oldtimer.
Old 04-09-2014   #19
honored82
Veteran

Rep Power: 4151 honored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respected

DE Stephon Tuitt is visiting the Texans Thursday. May be he is on the radar for pick 2.1 and Bortles with 1.1
honored82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #20
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89407 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
The talk in the rebuilding thread got me to thinking about which needs have a higher priority.

I think it starts at QB , but that's pretty obvious. There is a lack of bodies along the defensive line (Watt , Crick & Powe). The OL has some holes too , especially RT and to a lesser extent LG.
Cant forget about ILB and the secondary either. That nickel CB is a starter ....

Here's my list. Obviously some get filled thru the draft but the rest need attention after the draft with bargain FA's , kinda like Mays last year.

QB - Fitzpatrick , Keenum & Yates. I don't see a starter for a contending team.

DE - Watt & .....

CB - That Nickel corner is a starter. Seriously lacking talent behind KJax and JJo.

DT/NT Only one on the roster.

RT - Newton was just bad last year. Harris is gone (for now). Neither of last years rookies contributed and finished the season on IR. The Andrew Gardner project should be over. If you think Quessenberry or B.Williams will contribute the need is less critical.

RB - Tate gone , Foster coming off of an injury riddled season. Had street FA's toting the rock late in the season. If Foster is healthy there isn't much concern for anything but a backup.

ILB - Cushing & who ? Maybe Tuggle contributes ?? Reed moves inside making a hole at OLB ??

WR & TE probably belong on the list. Not much talent behind #80 , Hopkins & Posey when healthy. Graham looks capable & Griffin showed well but neither are traditional blocking TE's.
Qb

Rt, de, nt, olb
( I dont believe powe is a starter and I think reed shifts inside making olb more urgent then ilb)

nickel (agree with corrosion completely, this is basically a starting role.)

Lg, rb, ilb
(Q is my favorite for LG easily, we're counting on Cushing who's comming off 2 injuries, yeesh)

Somewhere far away in the distance i'd include te and slot wr.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read