Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-05-2014   #1
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 288146 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The NFL Front Office Lying Season Is Just Getting Started

Great stuff from Gabriel...

Let the Games Begin: The NFL Front Office Lying Season Is Just Getting Started
Quote:
For years I have said to people in the media during draft season that the first thing I have to do when the draft is over is go to confession.

When they ask why, I tell them because "of all the lies I've told."

From the time the combine ends until draft day there is far more misinformation than truth spread throughout the league...

Let me explain...
Quote:
Pre-Draft Visits

Every year each club is allowed to bring in 30 players for updated medicals and interviews. The other clubs in the league know which players are visiting each team.
One year, we had pretty much made up our minds on the player we wanted in the first round by January. In February, I made a visit to the school this player was attending to talk to the player and his coaches. In an attempt to not let anyone link that player to us, we didn't...

Last year there was a very similar scenario. Buffalo had a huge need...

Pro Day Workouts

Another example of what clubs do to throw off the rest of the league is make fusses over certain players at their pro day.

When a team is going to take this approach, they have to be consistent.

For example, if their biggest need is at defensive end, then they have to go to all the top defensive end workouts. When they attend these workouts, they don't send one person, they...

Spread Rumors

Club "A" may like a certain player but to create a negative spin on the player they may have a coach or scout discretely say something negative about the prospect to people on other staffs. Those people will of course report that "information" to their superiors in the hopes, for Club "A" that is, that the rumor will spread.

What do they say? Something like this: "I really like this guy, but our doctors say he has a bad knee and we can't touch him." Or, "we have a problem with his ability to learn the scheme."

Clubs have until about a week before the draft to bring in prospects for a medical examination. The last week before the draft is a bit of a quiet period.

A few years ago, one club I know of liked a player but knew he needed a minor surgery before...

Interviews with the media

When ESPN started televising the draft on the early 1980s, former Sports Illustrated writer Paul Zimmerman was always one of the analysts with Mel Kiper and Chris Berman.

Zimmerman had a very good relationship with many coaches and GMs in the NFL. Numerous times during the draft, Zimmerman would say that such and such team was going to take a certain player. He said the coach or GM had told him such in the days leading up to the draft.

Almost 100 percent of the time the team did not select the player Zimmerman thought they would and he would look totally baffled...

What it Means for 2014

Over the next two months there will be plenty of reporting on the draft. We will hear that the "stock" of player A has gone up or down. We will read that certain teams are "in love" with a certain player or they think they are too far back in the order to draft player B.

With the draft being pushed back three weeks this year, there is more time to lie and spread rumors. As you are reading or listening to pre-draft updates or projections or the latest rumor, just remember that what is being said may not be true at all. It's nothing more than what teams want you to believe.

We will find out the real truth on May 8.
<snipped>
read more: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...etting-started
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014   #2
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The NFL Front Office Lying Season Is Just Getting Started

Pretty interesting read, confirming what we all know is going on around this time of year. Thanks again Playoffs.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #3
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

This is just great.

Anyone affiliated with any team is gonna be lying. Most anyone affiliated with any network, radio talk show, or publication is a genius or an idiot with an agenda (depending on who they rate good or bad ).

...and Bill O'Brien ain't talking.

What the hell are we supposed to do?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #4
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Rep to you Playoffs. Again.

This is why when everyone was saying "Oh! The Browns will trade with us for Manziel at 1!" I just sighed.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #5
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 288146 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Pretend we want the Texans to draft Johnny Football when we prefer a different player or trade out of 1-1. I'd like us to only draft Coastal Carolina Chanticleers, myself.
Old 03-06-2014   #6
cland
Veteran

Rep Power: 4611 cland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respected

This is why I think the Texans' may be drafting Bridgewater, for all the rumors regarding the team to a specific player (Manziel, Bortles, Clowney) I haven't read an article quoting a 'Texans team insider' lthat links them to Teddy Bridgewater....

It's quiet around these here parts......too quiet!
cland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #7
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cland View Post
This is why I think the Texans' may be drafting Bridgewater, for all the rumors regarding the team to a specific player (Manziel, Bortles, Clowney) I haven't read an article quoting a 'Texans team insider' lthat links them to Teddy Bridgewater....

It's quiet around these here parts......too quiet!
I believe this too.

I liken this a little bit to fantasy football. I play play in a league with friends whom we all hang out together outside the season. As much as I want to just tell my friends how I feel and why, I try with every ounce of me to lie through my teeth.

I never try to give any idea who I am targeting, when, or why. This to me, (NFL Draft) is just a MUCH higher and costlier playing field than I have the resources to be a part of.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-06-2014   #8
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
This is just great.

Anyone affiliated with any team is gonna be lying. Most anyone affiliated with any network, radio talk show, or publication is a genius or an idiot with an agenda (depending on who they rate good or bad ).

...and Bill O'Brien ain't talking.

Sodium Pentathol and some panty droppers?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #9
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Reads like giant game of poker:

slow playing, bluffing, misdirection, reading other teams tells...oh and sometimes the best lie is the truth.
Old 03-07-2014   #10
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Sodium Pentathol and some panty droppers?
There are certain situations you might not want full cooperation mixed in with the complete truth.
This has the potential to be one of those situations.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #11
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

this is from a poster of the fantasy football forum footballguys.com (if nothing else it is entertaining concerning the possible world lies and media manipulation)

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum...#entry16606866

- McCain released the story as a favor to the Texans in trade for other insider info he's received in the past. ( This is how "insiders" around the league are really "information brokers", on the premise that nothing is free and the media, by extension, becomes part of the ruse, deception, dog and pony show. Information is not "free", you are expected to help the franchise during this time of year to push one story or another to push one agenda or another. This is the one time of year that "lying" is acceptable from organization to organization and not taken personally during the NFL season. it's this kind of back room type dealing that gets journalists close enough to teams to get access to do a book, which can be far more lucrative overall i.e. Jeff Pearlman and his Cowboys book. )...

- Word out on the trade, info not coming out of NE, that Patriots wanted a 3rd rounder that would turn to a 2nd rounder based on Mallett's number of starts/production benchmarks with Houston. Along with a handshake agreement not to pursue Julian Edelman. Houston, in exchange, offered two 4ths, one completely conditional on playing benchmarks, and no promise at all regarding Edelman.

- Mallett would be seen as bridge QB1 with good upside and would have to take a team friendly extension, knows O'Brien and system. If trade doesn't work, still works as bait for Atlanta. New England plays along because it profiles Mallett for other potential trade opportunities. Possible win/win if Houston makes the trade and win/win if Houston doesn't.
Old 03-06-2014   #12
thunderkyss 
&amp; so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
We need to spread some rumors about what St.Louis plans on doing. It's been way to quite. We need to get people thinking St.Louis wants their guy & they need to make a deal with us to snag him.
Old 03-16-2014   #13
ArlingtonTexan

Another article basically giving to evidence to season of BS

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/sto...luation-season
Old 04-17-2014   #14
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Attacks on Clowney Stink of Draft Propaganda
Quote:
1. All the lying

One scout called this time of year in the NFL "The Bulls--- Season." And there is lots of it. So, so much. The lying about prospects. The lying by prospects, their agents, teams, scouts and coaches.

A good example of this happened recently due to a garbage story on NJ.com in which an NFC personnel man called Jadeveon Clowney "spoiled" and "lazy," among other things.

I've covered more than 20 drafts, and there's always at least one story like this. Some scout saying some negative thing about some prospect.

Sometimes that belief is sincere. I've used anonymous personnel quotes. In fact, just recently, a scout told me the decision by Clowney to skip team private workouts was "gutless." That's the word he used. Gutless.

Now, I think calling Clowney's decision gutless is stupid, but that, to me, is within the parameters of legitimate criticism. After all, the scout wasn't calling Clowney gutless. (Clowney's agent Bus Cook told USA Today that Clowney might do one more workout, for one team, with no heavy lifting. Thus, basically, Clowney isn't working out.)

But there are certain things that cross the line, and calling Clowney lazy is one of them. Particularly for the reason these quotes were given.

The line is fine. I get that. But spoiled and lazy are personal attacks. And that is the crux of The Bulls--- Season. The more personal and believable, the better chance the crap will be repeated in the media.

The lazy and spoiled comments were likely said in order to knock down Clowney's stock. Most fans don't realize this is extremely common. It happens numerous times each draft. The idea is to say negative things in the media about a prospect and hope some sucker team actually falls for the hokum, and occasionally, some dumb team does.

The history of this is long. Scouts interviewed for this story gave some notable examples...

So when you read all of the draft rumors, just remember what season it is.
Old 04-17-2014   #15
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A good example of this happened recently due to a garbage story on NJ.com in which an NFC personnel man called Jadeveon Clowney "spoiled" and "lazy," among other things.
The first thing I thought of when this came out was someone really wants Clowney.

When a professional personnel man won't reveal himself and goes chickenshit (IMO) anonymous with his opinions, he's either hiding his name so his team doesn't take a reputation hit when they try to draft the player, or, the writer is making crap up so they can get talked about.

I usually do not follow much draft talk because it's all bullshit and opinions. I tend to follow the off-seasons when the Texans have the 1.1 pick, because anything is possible. In 2002, we were just excited to have football back in H-town. In 2006, the excitement still existed, and all the VY/RB hype was entertaining. This year, however, feels like a huge drag. I'm ready for the draft to be over so we can talk about things we will know at that point instead of all the hype, misdirection, speculation, and butthurt feelings over disagreements.
Old 04-28-2014   #16
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Daniel Jeremiah @MoveTheSticks
Quote:
Week before the draft, expect these stories--high profile player-low test score, failed drug tests, poor private workout, terrible visit.

I fully expect some crazy draft rumors to take off in the next few days.
Old 04-28-2014   #17
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 253700 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll be so glad when the draft is over and we have a better idea of what's actually going on. There's always a bunch of bull$hit rumors, and now, we are getting stories from the press about how rumors are manufactured.

At this point, the only way to get any more bull$hit is to crawl up the bulls ass.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014   #18
thunderkyss 
&amp; so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Great stuff from Gabriel...

Let the Games Begin: The NFL Front Office Lying Season Is Just Getting Started
Quote:
From the time the combine ends until draft day there is far more misinformation than truth spread throughout the league...
So what have we learned? What lies were told?
Old 05-12-2014   #19
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Well we do know that Savage was either 1.A or 1.B on BOB's QB list.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014   #20
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Jaguars are not to be trusted ever again. They're that girl who goes out and secures a new boyfriend behind your back before she breaks up with you.

Texans burned all of their truth tickets this year and will need to be liars next year.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read