Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

View Poll Results: Who would be your #1 pick?
Clowney DE 23 21.90%
Mack OLB 3 2.86%
Bridgewater QB 40 38.10%
Manziel QB 16 15.24%
Bortles QB 6 5.71%
Watkins WR 3 2.86%
Matthews OT 4 3.81%
Robinson OT 10 9.52%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2014   #1
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34365 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Who would be your #1 choice?

Simple poll: if no trade was available to us and you have to select a player, who would it be?
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #2
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 349460 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who would be your #1 choice?

I'm going to wait until everyone's been tested.

Right now, I'm leaning Watkins.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #3
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I'm going to wait until everyone's been tested.

Right now, I'm leaning Watkins.
I'm starting lean that way too, but it just feels wrong considering our need at QB.

Watkins is the only guy that doesn't have any questions marks for me.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #4
Lucky

Rep Power: 212249 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

It would come down to Clowney and the 3 QBs for me. Clowney and Watts would be tremendous on the same defense. But, you must have a QB. I take Bridgewater because he's the best passer of the 3. I don't see any real weakness in his game.

Last edited by Lucky; 02-23-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #5
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 384747 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #6
jradMIT
Veteran

Rep Power: 7556 jradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respected

When all is said and done, we need a qb, and Bridgewater can come in day 1 and make this team competitive. He is pretty much the consensus NFL ready guy. His game directly translates to the NFL. He excel at the mental aspects of the game on and off the field. Pocket passer with athletic ability to throw on the run with excellent accuracy. He has a great track record and has gotten better each year. I have serious questions about Manziel's abilities translating to the NFL without getting him hurt. Bortles I like but I think he is still a little raw and still needs some progression. In the end Bridgewater has the lowest floor and nearly the same ceiling IMHO of the other three. I am intrigued by Watkins but I am not so sure you can pass on Bridgewater and his consistency, and expect to make up for it with a later pick.
jradMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #7
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 116344 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I want to see the rest of the combine/pro days.

As of right now, Clowney/Robinson.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-23-2014   #8
BigBull
Veteran

Rep Power: 8553 BigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respected

I vote for Bridgewater, because I still believe he is the best player available not just qb. I've always found it funny how the combine numbers make people fall in love with a player. I for one tend to go with what I see on the football field.
BigBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #9
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 163364 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted Bortles because I didn't want Texian to feel alone.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014   #10
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 140741 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i voted matthews for two reasons. first, it's all about the trenches IMO. a great line changes the world, especially in the playoffs almost regardless of the pieces around it. second, i see matthews as a lifetime player more than than any other option. he doesnt have the super high ceiling as several others, but he does have the qualities that will make a really good pro. bottom line, if i had to choose 1 guy who will be here 5 or 10 or even 15 years from now and at a key position, it would be matthews.
Old 02-24-2014   #11
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 15483 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

in a league where QB is king, i select with the 1st overall, clowney. because the prospect of watt + clowney disrupting the oppositions QBs could give us the best defense in the league.

that being said, we do need to find some QB to be at least average for this year.
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm pulling for everyone really but man crush has to go to big Greg Robinson. Love his passion, feel for the game, upside, work ethic, intelligence, movement skills per position, fills huge roster void, bpa, road grader, mauler, size & strength elite for position, tandem with Brooks awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5EGl-iz4_s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqn4CS-AmAs

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014   #13
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

The biggest hole on this team is RT. I want Robinson but I would still be pretty happy with Matthews. None of the qbs separate themselves enough from each other and none seem worthy of a number 1 pick and maybe not even top 10 pick. Wr just seems like a waste of a number 1 pick with such glaring needs at other positions. Clowney would be ok now since the departure of Smith and Mitchell but he kind of scares me even though he has all the measurable. Heart is the ? on him. Drafting OT will help whatever qb OB puts out on the field. OL was awful last year. Lets fix it and draft a qb (Jimmy Garoppolo, Zach Mettenberger, or A.J. McCarron) in the 2nd. I would go all defense after that except I would draft OG somewhere from round 4-6.

So basically I am saying with the 1st round pick the Texans need to go with a big ugly. Offense or defense. Robinson looks like he is our best sure thing in that department. Trading down is another option but less likely. If the Texans absolutely are bent on getting a qb with the 1st pick then I hope it is Manziel.

Last edited by bckey; 03-16-2014 at 11:12 AM.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm proud to remain unchanged going Greg Robinson as the best prospect in the draft, best prospect in fact since Andrew Luck. Nothing changed tape has been in for months, go with the biggest freak of nature, gonna have to search wide & far for impact player @ QB position I fear..... may have to revisit Tajh Boyd 3rd rd. & hope he turns a Russel Wilson.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014   #15
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
It would come down to Clowney and the 3 QBs for me. Clowney and Watts would be tremendous on the same defense. But, you must have a QB. I take Bridgewater because he's the best passer of the 3. I don't see any real weakness in his game.
If Clowney turns out to be all he's hyped to be by some , how long do you think you can keep both he & Watt on the same payroll with a salary cap??

Watt is going to get paid soon , likely Mario Williams in Barfalo money , probably after this coming season. That leaves you ~3-4 years before Clowney is wanting the same type of $$$.

Can you spend $40m on two players on the DL and fill the roster with sufficient talent at the other positions ??

I'm still undecided on the QB's .... but I take whichever of them I grade out the highest after all the information is in.

Right now , I'm torn between Bridgewater , Manziel and Robinson .... which would mean taking a QB later.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326354 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Watt is going to get paid soon , likely Mario Williams in Barfalo money , probably after this coming season. That leaves you ~3-4 years before Clowney is wanting the same type of $$$.

Can you spend $40m on two players on the DL and fill the roster with sufficient talent at the other positions ??
What if Watt blows out a knee? Or decides to go fight in Afghanistan?

We've got at least 5 years before we have to make that decision. If we get a Super Bowl between now & then (say we draft McCarron in the second).. then it's worth it.
Old 02-23-2014   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 349460 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I'm starting lean that way too, but it just feels wrong considering our need at QB.

Exactly.

Robinson is pushing him, though.

Clowney is just so damned risky and I've yet to be convinced by any of the QBs.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014   #18
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post

No ?'s on height? Only 6'1"?

If you're a short WR in the league you generally need a special QB to succeed. If you're being drafted in the top 5 you generally don't have a special QB.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014   #19
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
No ?'s on height? Only 6'1"?

If you're a short WR in the league you generally need a special QB to succeed. If you're being drafted in the top 5 you generally don't have a special QB.
How is 6'1" a short WR? Jeez ...
Old 02-27-2014   #20
jradMIT
Veteran

Rep Power: 7556 jradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respected

In ten years 6 1 will be short for a corner.
jradMIT is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read