Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-24-2014   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216190 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans' Cap space......and the rest of the League

According OVER THE CAP.COM numbers, there's going to have to be a lot of shuffling and creativity. Note the Colts and Jags numbers.
Quote:
2014 Salary Cap Space Update- Jan 22
by jason

I figure every week in which there are some salary updates to post I’ll post estimates for the salary cap space for each team in 2014. The estimates include estimated carryover totals from 2013, savings from voidable contracts, and all escalators that have been earned thus far. Futures contracts are also included and most teams are at the top 51 figure already. The numbers don’t include adjustments for LTBEs/NLTBEs, grievances, etc…but they should give a fair estimate as to where teams stand heading into 2014.

Per my estimates four teams will be over the salary cap and two teams (Chargers and Rams) are both so close that they may be over the cap. Another 9 teams should have less than $10 million in room and are teams that may need changes. If you want to see how many free agents the various teams have, you can check out this post from Jan 14 that details the free agents by team. Any questions feel free to email or post in the comments.

Team Contracts Est. Adjusted Cap Estimated Cap Space
Raiders 50 $128,732,661 $61,556,390
Jaguars 51 $145,945,313 $50,856,859
Browns 51 $150,837,568 $45,557,017
Colts 51 $126,907,910 $33,940,530
Dolphins 49 $144,364,087 $32,523,028
Redskins 51 $127,669,236 $27,893,929
Packers 51 $136,120,458 $27,655,575
Bengals 51 $135,416,604 $24,702,456
Vikings 51 $127,112,313 $23,549,568
Eagles 51 $143,469,767 $20,870,691
Jets 51 $127,773,437 $20,169,558
Bills 51 $144,426,975 $19,887,485
Broncos 47 $134,256,880 $17,805,118
Panthers 51 $137,912,268 $13,940,772
Giants 51 $126,317,447 $13,219,473
Buccaneers 51 $133,069,781 $12,043,336
Ravens 47 $127,831,423 $11,396,102
49ers 51 $128,475,038 $7,138,511
Falcons 51 $129,435,467 $6,859,837
Patriots 51 $130,324,801 $6,845,171
Titans 51 $133,253,561 $6,656,952
Bears 46 $127,096,726 $5,625,725
Seahawks 45 $129,145,003 $3,011,926
Cardinals 51 $132,050,006 $2,455,586
Texans 51 $127,382,080 $2,146,650
Chiefs 51 $128,781,515 $1,346,628
Rams 51 $126,472,529 $790,846
Chargers 51 $128,619,342 ($462,912)
Lions 51 $127,774,552 ($5,332,206)
Saints 51 $126,923,917 ($11,990,654)
Steelers 51 $127,652,450 ($12,471,398)
Cowboys 51 $127,580,694 ($22,681,516)
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #2
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

That, I believe is the primary reason Matt Schaub won't be back next season & will be a June 1st cut. That immediately adds $11M to our cap this season, $10M to our cap for 2015, & $19M to our cap for 2016.

It's a no brainer to me.

I also don't believe Rick Smith screwed up our cap. We were a Super Bowl contender before the season started. Patriots, 9ers, & Falcon aren't far from us.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2014   #3
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 71958 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans' Cap space......and the rest of the League

I guess I don't understand how the Jags have $145M in cap space and we have $127M.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #4
dsorc
Veteran

Rep Power: 7032 dsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I guess I don't understand how the Jags have $145M in cap space and we have $127M.
Probably due to cap carryover, which is when unused cap from previous years moves to the future year. That would also be a sign that ownership is unwilling to use up all their cap space.
dsorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #5
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

There will be restructuring. There will be borrowing money from 2015 & 2016 to pay for 2014. There will be more of the same.

FYI - If the Texans cut Schaub and Foster and accounted for all Dead Money in 2014, the Texans would begin 2015 $50 million under the cap in 2015.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #6
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

That's ridiculous that the Colts have that much cap space.

Look for player purging by the Saints and Cowboys, or some severe restructuring.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
There will be restructuring. There will be borrowing money from 2015 & 2016 to pay for 2014. There will be more of the same.

FYI - If the Texans cut Schaub and Foster and accounted for all Dead Money in 2014, the Texans would begin 2015 $50 million under the cap in 2015.
Ok..... I'm being serious here. Obviously I don't understand what you are saying... but I would love to. Are you saying we should never offer a signing bonus to the players we intend to sign?

I ask, because that is the only "dead money" to speak of in the Texans' cap figure.

Looking at the Patriots numbers & ours don't seem much different, player for player. We're just paying our players more, imo our players "deserve" more.

The Patriots only have 4 players with a cap number over $6M, we've got 8. They've got about $8M, we've got $3M. Their number doesn't include Talib who made $4.8M last year (if the Pats sign him for next year with a $5M cap number, the Patriots would be at $3M under the cap).

What am I not seeing that you do?
Old 01-24-2014   #8
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 32907 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsorc View Post
Probably due to cap carryover, which is when unused cap from previous years moves to the future year. That would also be a sign that ownership is unwilling to use up all their cap space.
There is a limitation to how much you can carryover, and the CBA stipulates a cap floor, teams gave to spend a certain amount. I just can't see how the Colts have that kind of room.
Old 01-24-2014   #9
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
There is a limitation to how much you can carryover, and the CBA stipulates a cap floor, teams gave to spend a certain amount. I just can't see how the Colts have that kind of room.
Please elaborate on the limitations to the carryover amounts, as I'm not familiar with them.

Also, while there is a floor in place, it doesn't have to be met on a yearly basis. It basically applies to the four year period ending with the 2016 season. It does require that a minimum of 89% of the cap be spent over that period, but since compliance with that 89% amount isn't required until the end of that cumulative period, it makes the concept of a floor in any one specific year non-applicable.
Old 02-20-2014   #10
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29607 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
There is zero reason to extend Watt this year.

Agree. Also, just because we could have more money doesn't mean we should keep OD. May be time to move on from him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014   #11
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Agree. Also, just because we could have more money doesn't mean we should keep OD. May be time to move on from him.
OD doesn't save enough to cut just to cut IMO. It would depend on who would replace him to me.
Old 02-20-2014   #12
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
OD doesn't save enough to cut just to cut IMO. It would depend on who would replace him to me.
a 2nd round pick? amaro? asj?
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014   #13
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123160 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
It's pretty 50/50 if Amaro makes it to the #33 pick. If Ebron goes early Amaro might be gone before we pick again.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014   #14
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
It's pretty 50/50 if Amaro makes it to the #33 pick. If Ebron goes early Amaro might be gone before we pick again.
ofcourse. was more asking the question in response to finding out whether he would cut OD if we got one of the top 3-4 rookie TEs
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
Yes. In that mock draft simulator thread I picked Amaro in the 2nd. So I am not against the idea. 4th or later I would keep OD for a year and not bother trying to sign Graham.
Old 02-20-2014   #16
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 128402 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes. In that mock draft simulator thread I picked Amaro in the 2nd. So I am not against the idea. 4th or later I would keep OD for a year and not bother trying to sign Graham.
I would keep Graham and cut OD. Old n busted is not what this team needs
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014   #17
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 11677 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

I wish orakpo would come here. Can't get too excited though because of our situation.
MistaRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014   #18
acal21
Rookie

Rep Power: 1938 acal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respectedacal21 is a quality contributor and well respected

if the texans can get some deals done in free agency thats great... but if they do cut schaub they need to eat up all that dead money this year, I'm a believer that any team can make a run for the Super Bowl but you also have to put yourself in a good position for the future
Old 03-01-2014   #19
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 8368 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Well. D'Qwell Jackson was released by the Browns. So it's not out of the realm of possibility of us getting him. Granted, he's probably going to the Broncos but there's still a chance.

He'll go to NE IMO

Your man... Pots and pans
PHILLYTEXANFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014   #20
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

With cap set, a look at Texans' free agency
Quote:
The NFL salary cap for the 2014 season is set at $133 million, up $10 million from 2013. And it's plenty more than the initial $126-$128 million projections.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported the cap is expected to reach $140 million next year and $150 million by 2016. Those would be some big jumps.

So what does it mean for the Texans this season? Well, they'll have a little more room to work with...
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read