Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-22-2013   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Trade Away AJ this off-season?

According to spotrac.com, the Texans could move (trade or cut) AJ in 2014 without any cap hit... meaning the Texans could save $12 million under next year's cap, and a similar number in his remaining years.

Assuming this is accurate, I'm interested in your thoughts on this possibility. Given the wide range of views regarding the team's current cap health, talent level, etc... I'm interested in simply reading the various thoughts on this idea.

I'm not sure what I think. Clearly, a lot will depend on the new coaching staff and the direction the coach wants to move... and also on AJ's attitude towards the forth-coming changes. Also, given that we will likely cut or trade OD this off-season for $6 million in cap savings, would moving AJ also be detrimental to the develop of a rookie QB's development? Or, perhaps it is a good idea to have WRs and a young QB develop together instead of a rookie QB being awestruck and over-dependent upon an All-pro veteran. I'm not sure.

How would other veterans perceive this move? Do we care? Will winning next season be a primary goal in the off-season or will 2014 be viewed as a reset?

Thoughts?
Old 12-22-2013   #2
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 129410 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Trade Away AJ this off-season?

No

I want to and expect to see him retire a Texan
Brain Cushing
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013   #3
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 20242 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
According to spotrac.com, the Texans could move (trade or cut) AJ in 2014 without any cap hit... meaning the Texans could save $12 million under next year's cap, and a similar number in his remaining years.

Assuming this is accurate, I'm interested in your thoughts on this possibility. Given the wide range of views regarding the team's current cap health, talent level, etc... I'm interested in simply reading the various thoughts on this idea.

I'm not sure what I think. Clearly, a lot will depend on the new coaching staff and the direction the coach wants to move... and also on AJ's attitude towards the forth-coming changes. Also, given that we will likely cut or trade OD this off-season for $6 million in cap savings, would moving AJ also be detrimental to the develop of a rookie QB's development? Or, perhaps it is a good idea to have WRs and a young QB develop together instead of a rookie QB being awestruck and over-dependent upon an All-pro veteran. I'm not sure.

How would other veterans perceive this move? Do we care? Will winning next season be a primary goal in the off-season or will 2014 be viewed as a reset?

Thoughts?
Not interested, myself. He's too valuable to lose. On pace for yet another 100 catch 1500 rec. yard season when he's supposed to be "aging". His mentoring will prove to be a huge advantage for these younger WRs development. Specifically Deandre as I don't think he is quite ready to take on lead WR duties.

There are three players on this team that are completely off limits to trades/cuts for whatever reason:

1. JJ Watt
2. Andre Johnson
3. Duane Brown

Everyone else is negotiable. Yes, even Cushing.

Andre needs to retire a Texan and have his number retired when he leaves.
Old 12-22-2013   #4
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Texans want to be dead to me all they need to do is trade or cut the best player in franchise history like the Oiler's did with Earl Campbell.
Old 12-22-2013   #5
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 31996 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

No, prevailing thought throughout the league is the Texans aren't your typical team looking to rebuild and Andre is a big part of the reason why. Come back next year with a healthy Cushing, Foster and hopefully an upgrade at QB and they should be ready to contend again.
Old 12-22-2013   #6
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 177962 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
No, prevailing thought throughout the league is the Texans aren't your typical team looking to rebuild and Andre is a big part of the reason why. Come back next year with a healthy Cushing, Foster and hopefully an upgrade at QB and they should be ready to contend again.
I think you may be overestimating the talent on our squad. There's not a ton of talent or depth on this team other than the people you mentioned. I don't think next year is a KC-like turnaround. This is a 2-3 project for the next coach.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013   #7
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30799 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
Not interested, myself. He's too valuable to lose. On pace for yet another 100 catch 1500 rec. yard season when he's supposed to be "aging". His mentoring will prove to be a huge advantage for these younger WRs development. Specifically Deandre as I don't think he is quite ready to take on lead WR duties.

There are three players on this team that are completely off limits to trades/cuts for whatever reason:

1. JJ Watt
2. Andre Johnson
3. Duane Brown

Andre needs to retire a Texan and have his number retired when he leaves.
I thought I was the only one who could do without Cushing. Totally agree with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-22-2013   #8
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Why would anyone want to trade away one of the best receivers in the league?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013   #9
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Why would anyone want to trade away one of the best receivers in the league?
To redesign the cap structure and roster of a team who is rebuilding. I'm not arguing that it should happen, but I think it is something to consider, particularly for those who think this is a 2 or 3 year rebuilding project. What could the Texans get in trade for AJ? Let's just say they can get a late 1st round pick and then a 2015 conditional pick (2nd or 3rd)... Factor the additional draft picks with the $10+ million in cap savings and the team could immediately and significantly alter the talent and age of the team at multiple positions.

For example, let's assume this trade (AJ for late 1st in 2014, and 3rd in 2015):

Maybe Texans use that extra 1st for a good RT or elite G... Then, they take some (not all) of that cap savings in free agency and sign the following:

TE- Pettigrew or Pitta (depending on offensive philosophy)
WR- Maclin
WR- G.Tate

I doubt that combination of player signings would approach the $12 million saved from AJ's loss (at least in the first couple contract years). So, AJ's gone, but, not counting the draft, here's the receiving group:

Maclin, Tate, Hopkins, Posey, KMartin
Pettigrew, Griffin, ?

at least on paper, that does not look like a bad situation... though, I understand how little "paper" can have to do with real football... Still, in some capacity, under a new regime, these are discussions that should happen during the winter months- heading into March free agency and then the draft.
Old 12-22-2013   #10
2slik4u
All Pro

Rep Power: 20242 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
I thought I was the only one who could do without Cushing. Totally agree with you.

Yeah...it's not because he isn't good. In fact, when on the field and 100% he is one of the most dominant MLB's I the league. Covers the pass, all over the field. He has all the tools.

The problem is he's only played two full seasons out of his five year career. Whether it's injuries or overtrained athlete syndrome, were just not getting the "hours in the office" we need.

For the record - our defense is a completely different when he is on the field...in a good way. On the other hand we miss him dearly when he's not there. Not sure if that is Wades fault for not preparing the rest of the defense and relying too heavily on Cush or if it's Rick Smiths for not drafting players correctly or what but his presence is noticed greatly.

I'm not saying cut him by any means but if put against the other three I listed earlier there is no question.
Old 12-23-2013   #11
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79339 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

How anyone could see what happened to this team without him last year and this year and can say this is beyond me.

This team is a disaster without our on-field heart and soul. Cushing is the heart and the soul of this team. Yes, even more than JJ Watt. Watt has more impact and is a better player, but Cushing brought the fire and the passion. Dude is a top 5 linebacker when healthy. And he's not injury prone---he was taken out twice on dirty plays.

Brian Cushing should be a Houston Texan for life if he can come back and return to his pre-injury form.

As far as the original thread question, no thanks.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013   #12
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post

1. JJ Watt
2. Andre Johnson
3. Duane Brown

Quote:
You mean the same Cushing that when out, our defense falls to pieces? They way I see it he is the glue that keeps our defense strong.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013   #13
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

And no to trading AJ. He will be a key piece to our 2014 team.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013   #14
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
You mean the same Cushing that when out, our defense falls to pieces? They way I see it he is the glue that keeps our defense strong.
I love me some Cush, but our defense was horrid when he was playing this season. Our O gave them no help whatsoever, but we were giving up almost 30 points a game before he went down.

You're correct, he's a vital piece of our defense. I just think teams figured out Wade's 'scheme'. Plus, game planning for JJ equals zero pass rush elsewhere.
Old 12-23-2013   #15
2slik4u
All Pro

Quote:
Yes. The same Cushing that has only played two full seasons out of five.

When you're paying him star player salary, you need star player time. I'm not calling him injury prone because those were horrid injuries but between two knee surgeries and a suspension, he only can say he's played two full seasons.

And for the record, I love me some Cush but by no means is he given a free pass when salary cap problems arise. He gets paid A LOT which means he should be playing A LOT.
Old 12-25-2013   #16
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 95414 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Does everybody realize that Cushing's dead money is more than his salary? This mean we would not only lose the player, but money from the Cap Space as well ($13.6M+). We couldn't afford to cut him, even if we wanted to.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013   #17
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Does everybody realize that Cushing's dead money is more than his salary? This mean we would not only lose the player, but money from the Cap Space as well ($13.6M+). We couldn't afford to cut him, even if we wanted to.
Somebody get him away from Sharpton and teach him how to stay healthy.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013   #18
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Just to clarify. Yes you could move him with no cap hit. No you won't save 12 million on the cap. You save 180k.

And I'm in the group that wants Johnson to retire as a Texan.
Old 12-22-2013   #19
texanchris
Veteran

Rep Power: 3783 texanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanchris is a quality contributor and well respected

If we want to have a quick turn around like Bob and everyone else wants then we will need Dre, especially if we have a rookie QB. the rookie QB will need a safety valve, someone he can trust to make a play on the ball and Hopkins is definatley not that guy at this point in his career. I see Dre being in similar situation as Reggie Wayne when they drafted Luck
texanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013   #20
2slik4u
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor View Post
Just to clarify. Yes you could move him with no cap hit. No you won't save 12 million on the cap. You save 180k.

And I'm in the group that wants Johnson to retire as a Texan.
Is that because of incentives? Sorry, not a cap expert. Please explain how we won't be gigged the $11mil+ and will only save $180k?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read