Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-15-2013   #1
djohn2oo8
All Pro

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default All encompassing Rick Smith thread

Fire him. Now.
djohn2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013   #2
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102895 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: All encompassing Rick Smith thread

Rick Smith has built such a terrible team. I can't believe how little talent we have everywhere on the field. He is only capable of making first round picks and after that he is completely incapable of finding anything approaching talent. Since this moron took over we haven't gotten anything from a second or third rounder outside of one season from Barwin.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013   #3
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79339 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

The starting talent on this team is fantastic but the depth management and construction is absolutely awful. If we're going to be dealt catastrophic injuries year after year after year, we need depth.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013   #4
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43787 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate these all encompassing threads. Why not start an all encompassing Texans thread so that there's only one thread we have to worry about?
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013   #5
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102895 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
The starting talent on this team is fantastic but the depth management and construction is absolutely awful. If we're going to be dealt catastrophic injuries year after year after year, we need depth.
Please name the fantastic talent, especially the talent missing due to injury outside of Cushing or Foster who we will have to assume will not be able to put a full season together.
Old 12-15-2013   #6
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 133036 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Please name the fantastic talent, especially the talent missing due to injury outside of Cushing or Foster who we will have to assume will not be able to put a full season together.
Even as an avid Risk Smith basher, he has done pretty well in the first round. Watt, Cushing, Hopkins, and Brown. That's one ROTY and one defensive player of the year in his 2nd season. However, I'm not sure at how much that had to do with Wade wanting those defensive players and Kubiak wanting Brown than it was Smith making these choices.

My biggest problems with Smith is how he handles the cap and how little he knows how to make deals happen in trades and free agency. I don't like his "build only through the draft" philosophy. I've always hated it. I don't think he'll be going anywhere though.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013   #7
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Even as an avid Risk Smith basher, he has done pretty well in the first round. Watt, Cushing, Hopkins, and Brown. That's one ROTY and one defensive player of the year in his 2nd season. However, I'm not sure at how much that had to do with Wade wanting those defensive players and Kubiak wanting Brown than it was Smith making these choices.

My biggest problems with Smith is how he handles the cap and how little he knows how to make deals happen in trades and free agency. I don't like his "build only through the draft" philosophy. I've always hated it. I don't think he'll be going anywhere though.
I agree with him being good at drafting in the first round, please see my first post in this thread. However, he really sucks at drafting in every other round, which is where depth and/or surprising stars usually come from.
Sponsored links
Old 12-15-2013   #8
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15235 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

When Casserly was fired the main gripe everyone had is how he missed on so many 2nd and 3rd round picks. Its just crazy that we hired a GM that might be even worse. Its just crazy that 11yrs in we have had 2 GM's that might be the 2 worst drafting GM's in the league at their time of employment with the Texans.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I don't have a problem with cap management. "We" made an assumption 4 years ago about the future valuation of the cap & things didn't unfold in our favor. If they had, no telling how good this team could be. Considering the situation he's in, I think he's doing the best he can.

But I do agree with you about FAs, trades, & just "connected" to the NFL. He seems to be the most disconnected GM in the whole league. He has no idea what other players are signing for..... Laron Landry would have been a great acquisition, Dumerville did not break the bank & when we struck out on RT this past offseason, Jacksonville makes a nice trade to acquire one.

& Demeco.... did we even try to talk him into taking less money?

Then the draft picks. I don't have a problem taking a flyer every now & then, but if we're going to try to get half the picks on the practice squad, why don't we try to trade those picks for future picks?

His picks are good to fair. A few special picks in there. He's probably doing just as good as anyone out there. However... I don't think he does a good job at all as far as moving in the draft to get the player he wants. We're either going to sit there & take the highest graded player on our list, or drop down, try to get him later, or take who ever is next on our list.

Now, we did move up in the 2nd to get Brandon Harris & I thought that was a big boy move, but..... the guy seldom sees the field.
Old 10-28-2014   #10
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9350 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohn2oo8 View Post
Fire him. Now.
Quote:
Rick Smith has built such a terrible team. I can't believe how little talent we have everywhere on the field. He is only capable of making first round picks and after that he is completely incapable of finding anything approaching talent. Since this moron took over we haven't gotten anything from a second or third rounder outside of one season from Barwin.
Quote:

Amobi, Brown, Cushing, Jackson, Watt, Mercilus, Hopkins, Clowney

first round draft choices for last 8 years.

Other than Watt and maybe Brown I see nothing outstanding.
Texans are spinning wheels until a change is made.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014   #11
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

is rick fired yet ..????

I would so go for a picket line FIRE rick smith off Kirby if someone set it up
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014   #12
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I still say some of you Rick Smith bashers don't have a clue what you're talking about when it cones to being a GM. Firing a GM just for the sake of firing him for the purpose of letting a fan get their little mental reset, is beyond stupidity.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014   #13
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43787 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
Amobi, Brown, Cushing, Jackson, Watt, Mercilus, Hopkins, Clowney

first round draft choices for last 8 years.

Other than Watt and maybe Brown I see nothing outstanding.
Texans are spinning wheels until a change is made.
Cushing was a good pick. Are you saying Rick should have been able to read the future in regards to guys tackling his knees?

Jackson was a good pick. We needed a corner desperately, and he was the best at that spot. While all the 'experts' thought we should have gotten Kyle Wilson, Rick ignored the hype and made the right pick.

Hopkins was a good pick.

Clowney was the right pick.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #14
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79339 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Our ideal, healthy starting roster is what I'm talking about. If you don't think Andre Johnson , Arian Foster, Duane Brown, Chris Myers, Owen Daniels, JJ Watt, Brian Cushing, and Jonathan Joseph is an assload of talent, I'm not sure what to tell you. Not to mention the good players by their side, including guys like Antonio Smith, Ben Tate, Danieal Manning, etc.

But obviously, behind those guys, the depth is terrible. And it's killed us the last few years.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #15
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

For all you folks liking or disliking drafts that you attribute to Rick Smith, you need to consider that Rick Smith is GM today because Bob McNair thought the coaches had to much control over the draft process.....that tells me Smith had little or no say..... just saying
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #16
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
For all you folks liking or disliking drafts that you attribute to Rick Smith, you need to consider that Rick Smith is GM today because Bob McNair thought the coaches had to much control over the draft process.....that tells me Smith had little or no say..... just saying
Then he didn't do his job .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
I tend to agree somewhat.

To me, the fact that he's still here tells me he was/is merely a puppet to the organization. It appears he and McNair will be handling the draft from here on out. I reckon the new staff will state their recommendations and be sent to the back row come draft time.
Old 12-15-2013   #18
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 8443 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
His problem has been that he HAD great starting talent and has replaced them with terrible players. I think this team needs an overhaul, get rid of the bad contracts and open up some room for the future.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013   #19
BigBull
Veteran

Rep Power: 8553 BigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
I long for the days of the 2006 draft.

1 1(1) Mario Williams DE NC State

2 1(33) DeMeco Ryans OLB Alabama

3 1(65) Charles Spencer OG Pittsburgh

3 2(66) Eric Winston T Miami (FL)

4 1(98) Owen Daniels TE Wisconsin

6 1(170) Wali Lundy RB Virginia

7 43(251) David Anderson WR Colorado State

Damn!

I had almost forgot how good that draft was. Without a doubt the Texans best draft ever.

Sent from the future...
BigBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013   #20
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30799 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default All encompassing Rick Smith thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Given how the drafts are handled, it is hard to disentangle what is coaching, what is GMing.

I do not buy that this is a team that is chalk full of talent. I wouldn't want to be mandated to play a noob UDFA behind a inconsistent line, no healthy TEs/RBs.

Though the pick 6 fest was likely not predictable, the other roster composition/question mark issues were:

*right side of line
*RB health, and future of RB with Tate leaving
*Thin at TE for a team that uses 2 TE a lot, particularly with concerns on offensive line.
*a quarterback that had been in significant decline end of 2012, with no real plan of future replacement.
*hardly any NFL catches for any WRs not named Andre Johnson, and the route errors that come from that.
*no production from d linemen not named JJ Watt and Antonio Smith. Hoping to see something from Earl Mitchell that had never been seen from him.
*linebacker group was so thin, injured, inexperienced, that they tried out Brooks Reed at ILB during camp.
*safety. I don't want to even talk about it because it makes me stabby.
*corner. I don't crush JJo/KJ as much as some because they are asked to play man a ton without the pass rush, safeties that would help. But not their finest year, and all the other corners are a testament that you don't want Smith picking corners. (BTW, Frank Bush was a huge KJ supporter in that draft given his relationship with Saban).
*unproven kicker with no competition.
*little team speed in general, very little for special teams.

In an AFC that is wide open for those teams who didn't quit, Texans had a tough early schedule, had everything break bad, missed their high expectations and gave up the season by going all in on Keenum.

The case for Rick Smith is summed up by Jerome Solomon. The short version implies that McNair knows whose decisions were whose, and that Rick Smith wanted to (mortgage the cap) to get Peyton Manning, and coaches were um no.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spor...ns-5045386.php

I've talked to NFL folks outside the Texans who knew the relative cap situations of Denver, Titans, Texans, 49ers, and believe that there was no way that the Texans could have realistically been in running for teh Peyton. That Texans being floated as a name was all about negotiation leverage.

But theoretically, the reason why Rick Smith stays is because of deals he didn't do. Because he was so damn ineffectual and non-persuasive at his job, he wants credit for alternative histories that did not happen. And take zero responsibility for stupid stuff like having a team full of needs but getting old, broken, forever rabble rousing Ed Reed as the big off-season acquisition without bringing Wade Phillips as part of the decision making process. (An adult supervision GM woulda gone nah).

But boy howdy, now he seems to be bucking for more power given unnamed "front office" rumors.

Oh goody! So we get to see what Rick Smith looks like when he gets the training wheels kicked off. Nothing. I mean nothing in his background makes you go, "Whew, it is a good thing Rick Smith is handling this draft."

The process is set up for failure. Who wants to work for a "front office" who complains to people in the media as their head coach is recovering from stroking out? Personally, I like the clean house model where you pick the GM, let the GM pick the coach. How is it that the Texans want an experienced HC, but don't impose that same criteria to Rick Smith?
Your hatred of Rick Smith is a little intense and disturbing. You take his actions far too personally. You may want to consider not renewing your season tickets. I think going to Reliant might be a bit much for you. I'm serious.

And, just for the record: While I think most of this team's problems has been coaching, Rick Smith should also be held accountable for a chunk of this mess. He is in no way blameless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read