Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-05-2013   #1
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44848 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Houston '93: A Football Life

I'm definitely tuning in to this.

I was merely a kid back then and watched them almost every week but my dad was very much more into the Oilers than I was, obviously. I'm sure he'll be watching it as well.

Can any of you older gents that experienced it weigh in on that team and that season?
Old 12-05-2013   #2
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 10357 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston '93: A Football Life

What time and channel is it coming on?

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #3
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 22174 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurvinator11 View Post
What time and channel is it coming on?
I can't remember if its a Monday or Tuesday, but check the NFL Network. I record all of the episodes so that I don't miss in case I'm away or forget.

Last edited by StarStruck; 12-05-2013 at 05:50 PM.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #4
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

Tuesday 12/10 8pm on NFL Network
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #5
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23128 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

That 93 and 94 team were superbowl bound. I feel they were the type of team thst couldve beaten dallas. They had the qb,run game,and d line. No way they shoildve lost to buffalo nor kc the next season.
Old 12-05-2013   #6
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 22174 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post
Tuesday 12/10 8pm on NFL Network
Thanks. I was trying to recall if Life and Backstory came on the same night.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #7
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for posting this, Vance! I have been meaning to do it, but kept forgetting.

I DVR all of the Football Life episodes. Excellent show by NFL Films, and they cover everything from coaches and players to concepts (i.e. forward pass) and seasons like the '93 Oilers.

I look forward to this one. Should be very cool to relive that season, especially when it came off the 35-3 debacle. I still have a Houston Chronicle (or maybe Post) headline that reads "From Choke to Joke" when the Oilers started the season at 1-4. Nobody expected them to win 11 in a row to finish that season 12-4.

Side note: I was at the last game vs. the Jets when Gilbride got sucker punched by Buddy Ryan. We did not know it happened until listening to the radio on the way home. That was friggin' nuts!
Old 12-05-2013   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 224612 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
That 93 and 94 team were superbowl bound. I feel they were the type of team thst couldve beaten dallas. They had the qb,run game,and d line. No way they shoildve lost to buffalo nor kc the next season.
I think you mean 92 and 93. The 94 team went 2-14.

Not sure how you can say they would or could have beaten Dallas other than any given Sunday. Dallas had a QB, run game and dline also. In fact Dallas was substantially better both at rushing and rush D plus they weren't handing out INTs like candy.

1992 Dallas didn't just beat the team that beat Houston, they destroyed them.
1993 Dallas handily beat the Bills who handily beat the Chiefs who beat Houston.

Not seeing it.
Old 12-05-2013   #9
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

apperantly half the team was on blow and were outta there minds LOL
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013   #10
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 93649 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1993 Dallas handily beat the Bills who handily beat the Chiefs who beat Houston............
..........who handily beat the Chiefs (reg season). I need a ruling here.

RULING SAYS: Playoff wins trump reg season wins.
Old 12-05-2013   #11
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 59622 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

Not sure how you can say they would or could have beaten Dallas other than any given Sunday. Dallas had a QB, run game and dline also. In fact Dallas was substantially better both at rushing and rush D plus they weren't handing out INTs like candy.

1993 Dallas handily beat the Bills who handily beat the Chiefs who beat Houston.

Not seeing it.
I'm with you. That Dallas team was one of the best ever.

Would have been great to have an all Texas Super Bowl though.
Old 12-06-2013   #12
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 24813 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

Not seeing it.
Of course it's only human to play the what-if-game, so that same year, 1993 (before the playoffs), a buddy of mind wrote this program - some sort of algorithm, while we were both working at the same physics lab on the superconductor supercollider in Waxahachie (if anyone remembers, that project went tits up the same year).

Anyway, according to the results of his program, putting in all the numbers, teams, stats, defense, offense, you name it, any variable we could think of, we showed the Oilers beating the Cowboys in the Super Bowl 72% of the time. I still remember that number 72%. Well, I guess reality ended up on the wrong side of 72.

To top that off, we took all of the same variables and widened it considerably, for the 1960 and 1961 Oilers, crunching the numbers against both the AFL and the NFL - specifically the NFL - because we wanted to know the probability of the Oilers winning the Super Bowl if there had been one in '60 and '61.

The results? For 1960, out of all the teams in both conferences, 82% of the time the Oilers won the "NFL Championship" against Detroit, Philadelphia and Green Bay.

In 1961 - The same program spat out 90%!!! the Oilers beat Green Bay, Philadelphia, the Giants, and one time, the Browns by some crazy lopsided score that I can't remember.

I'm sure somebody could do the same thing today - maybe even on Madden...Haha...but always what if. I'm sure you can all picture it.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
I'm definitely tuning in to this.

I was merely a kid back then and watched them almost every week but my dad was very much more into the Oilers than I was, obviously. I'm sure he'll be watching it as well.

Can any of you older gents that experienced it weigh in on that team and that season?
I can't wait....that was one hell of a talented team...but a circus. Should be a great show. The NFLnetwork does a great job with this series.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #14
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL Network: '93 Oilers - A Football Life' airs Tues. 8pm

Link

Quote:
On Tuesday night, "Houston '93: A Football Life" airs on the NFL Network at 8 p.m. CT.

The episode chronicles the tumultuous 1993 season and features interviews with former Oilers coaches, players and front office staff.

For those Houston football fans who might not remember the 1993 season, it was filled with football, drama and more drama. It's a very-well done special on one of the most interesting seasons in NFL history.

The 1993 Oilers were a Super Bowl favorite but started the year in miserable fashion. They recovered but ultimately the season ended in heartbreak. In between, there was plenty of dysfunction, most of which swirled around new defensive coordinator Buddy Ryan.

Ryan eventually took a swing at offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride in the season finale, an event that gets its fair share of time during the show. Other events covered include the benching of Warren Moon and David Williams' decision to miss a game for the birth of his son.

Moon, Mike Munchak, Buddy Ryan, William Fuller and Gilbride are just a few of the people interviewed throughout the special.

Moon, Haywood Jeffires and Sean Jones will be in studio for "A Football Life: Backstory" after the hour-long special.
This will probably get moved, but I thought I'd put it here to begin with, in case some are not aware, and would like to tune in.

Me personally, if I watch .... it will only be with an empty stomach.
Old 12-10-2013   #15
Ktexan68
Rookie

Rep Power: 49 Ktexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL Network: '93 Oilers - A Football Life' airs Tues. 8pm

We should be so lucky to have teams as good as those 90's Oilers. We really did not realize how good we had it.
Ktexan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #16
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 156011 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
This will probably get moved, but I thought I'd put it here to begin with, in case some are not aware, and would like to tune in.
If it does, it'll probably be just to merge it with the existing thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktexan68 View Post
We should be so lucky to have teams as good as those 90's Oilers. We really did not realize how good we had it.
Meh, not really. The damage those teams did to this city's psyche shows itself today in our discussions and buy-in of the Texans. The Oilers really damaged people's fandom. People are always waiting for the other show to drop. And the Texans have obliged, for the most part.
Old 12-10-2013   #17
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Meh, not really. The damage those teams did to this city's psyche shows itself today in our discussions and buy-in of the Texans. The Oilers really damaged people's fandom. People are always waiting for the other show to drop. And the Texans have obliged, for the most part.
I am in that category. For me, going into the Buffalo game, I was just so fed up with the constant letdowns, so I was thinking there was really nothing the Oilers could do to disappoint me any further. But that 35-3 scarred me so bad, I really couldn't get into the 93 season. I remember telling my brother they could win the Super Bowl the next year and it still wouldn't remove that 35-3 stench.

I don't know how many times I've said this, but that 35-3 planted the seed that led to the Oilers leaving. The events of the 93 season greased the skids.

Did it damage me as a fan? You damn well be better believe it did.
Old 12-10-2013   #18
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Link

Me personally, if I watch .... it will only be with an empty stomach.
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...highlight=life
Old 12-10-2013   #19
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally I've always felt that it was silly to look at stuff that happened to the Oilers and hold onto that regarding the Texans. The Texans are a completely different franchise with different coaches and it's so far removed from that era of the NFL even. It isn't even the same style of football played. I do read people's thoughts on this board and I realize that it has effected people's psyche , but it doesn't and never will with me. Even if we still had the Oilers it wouldn't with me, because once you completely change regimes you really have an entirely different management philosophy. And hell, we don't even have the same owner as before who can effect things like Bud did. I don't like Mcnair personally, but for different reasons that I didn't like Adams. Th 93 Oilers have no effect at all on how I judge or feel about the Texans. I felt like the Oilers were more committed to winning then the Texans have ever been personally, but I hated Bud's ways. Two completely different companies all together.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #20
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 25411 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I felt like the Oilers were more committed to winning then the Texans have ever been personally, but I hated Bud's ways. Two completely different companies all together.
Oilers committed to winning? HAHAHAHAHA!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read